Best full-size phones, with good looks, sound, and portability for under $100?
Jun 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #33 of 65
I bought my ath-m50s (which just came in today btw) from brianf on ebay for $90 shipped.  He was a pleasure to deal with for me, and was recommended by several other head-fiers in other threads on the ath-m50.  He is also an authorized dealer so you get the warranty.  I would message him on ebay and find out how much the fees are to Canada.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #34 of 65
So I have come up with a definite list
(also, I don't mind if the phones look a bit bulky.. I find that sort of cool :wink: )
These are my candidates:
Shure SRH440/840
JVC HA-RX700
Audio Technica M50/ES7, although I can't find them for under a $100 shipped :/

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #36 of 65
That's probably how I'm going to decide! :p

Just read somebody's first impression on the 440's. Apparently the bass was quite weak. That worries me :/
I wish I could hear these things before I bought them, LOL.

Further edit:
I should probably specify the music I listen to. Well, anything classic rock (think Floyd, King Crimson), The Beatles), rock (Billy Joel, older stuff, little bit of new stuff), jazz (Pat Metheny), blues (anything), indie (Wintersleep, Mother Mother), alternative (Radiohead), electronica (Autechre, Aphex Twin), experimental/trip (Animal Collective).

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 65

Quote:
That's probably how I'm going to decide! :p

Just read somebody's first impression on the 440's. Apparently the bass was quite weak. That worries me :/
I wish I could hear these things before I bought them, LOL.

Further edit:
I should probably specify the music I listen to. Well, anything classic rock (think Floyd, King Crimson), The Beatles), rock (Billy Joel, older stuff, little bit of new stuff), jazz (Pat Metheny), blues (anything), indie (Wintersleep, Mother Mother), alternative (Radiohead), electronica (Autechre, Aphex Twin), experimental/trip (Animal Collective).

The bass on the SRH440 is not weak. It just isn't overly emphasized, bloated, or boomy like it is in many closed headphones (which is part of the reason I like the SRH440 so much).  The midrange and separation is fantastic for a closed phone as well. Anyone claiming the bass is weak is either a basshead (which there seem to be a lot of here) or using a headphone with emphasized bass as a reference point of what bass should sound like. For most of the music you listed you don't want the bass to be overly prominent imo.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #38 of 65
OK! Thanks for the reassure, JayB18.

So, finally, after much debate with myself and fellow friends, I have decided upon these top 3:
AT ATH-M50
Shure SRH440
*Sony MDR-XB700

However, I'm not sure what's best for my genre of music taste. :/
That's all I need help in deciding and I'm off to make my purchase.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 65
Add the Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon D1001) to that list. After finally getting it today, I can easily say they are worth the $60 I spent on them on Newegg. They are the MOST comfy headphones I have ever worn, even passing the Beyers... I need to burn them in, but they are spectacular for gaming with the Mixamp, and seem well balanced. I haven't used them much for music, but they sound good all around. Not M50 or ES7 good, but for the price and comfort, I'd take these.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #40 of 65

Quote:
Add the Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon D1001) to that list. After finally getting it today, I can easily say they are worth the $60 I spent on them on Newegg. They are the MOST comfy headphones I have ever worn, even passing the Beyers... I need to burnh them in, but they are spectacular for gaming with the Mixamp, and seem well balanced, with a sort of emphasis on the midrange from what I can tell.

But would they sound good with my music! I won't be using 'phones for gaming, only for my Zune HD and my record player setup.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #41 of 65
I edited my post.  Check it out.

I'm still not sure about them for music. They seem to alter their signature depending on what I plug them into. On my girl's laptop, they can sound incredibly warm, and on my phone they sound well balanced. I dunno. Need to test it out quite a bit more.

I guess I'm used to recessed mids, so I'm taken aback at how vivid voices are.

I do like them for music, so far. :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #42 of 65

Quote:

I'm still not sure about them for music. They seem to alter their signature depending on what I plug them into. On my girl's laptop, they can sound incredibly warm, and on my phone they sound well balanced. I dunno. Need to test it out quite a bit more.

Thanks for the head's up! The only downside is that I won't be able to find them for $60 here in Canada. On eBay, they're priced almost the same as the M50/440's.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #43 of 65

Quote:

I guess I'm used to recessed mids, so I'm taken aback at how vivid voices are.

I do like them for music, so far. :)

Thanks for the head's up! :)

Well, the only downside is that I won't be able to get them for $60ish here anyway .On eBay, they're priced roughly the same as the M50/440's.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #45 of 65
Though I haven't heard the M50, I have read that the SRH440 has a better midrange, balance, and separation while the M50 has more emphasized bass.  Id stay away from the XB700 unless you want extremely bassy headphones.  The M50 might be  a bit better for electronica but I think the SRH440 would perform better for rock, alternative, blues, etc. (though I generally prefer a balanced sound for any type of music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back