Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #5,521 of 9,368
On a bit of a Saint-Saens kick tonight. A while back, someone asked about good recordings of the Organ symphony. De Waart has recorded it a number of times, and one of these ended up on a bargain disc with symphonic works conducted by Dutoit. It's a great way to grab the best of Saint-Saen's purely orchestral works on one disc. Apart from the symphony, it includes: Danse Macabre, Phaeton, Le Rouet d'Omphale, Introduction & rondo capriccioso, & Marche militaire Francaise.

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Introduction-Capriccioso-militaire-francaise/dp/B00016XMX0

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5,522 of 9,368
Last weekend I immersed myself into Ravel :
I haven't listened to much of Ravel but the post about Francois's Gaspard interpretation got me started with this box:
71P3au1n7sL._SY355_.jpg

The info about the specific recordings is a bit sparse and SQ is inconsistent but you quickly become fascinated by the lyrical playing and the slight tape hiss not distracting. What a great discovery.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #5,523 of 9,368
Last weekend I immersed myself into Ravel :
I haven't listened to much of Ravel but the post about Francois's Gaspard interpretation got me started with this box:
71P3au1n7sL._SY355_.jpg

The info about the specific recordings is a bit sparse and SQ is inconsistent but you quickly become fascinated by the lyrical playing and the slight tape hiss not distracting. What a great discovery.

I have his entire collection. Very inconsistent pianist but he gets Ravel wonderfully spot on.

Listening to La Valse conducted by the late Abbado, the orchestration is out of this world!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5,524 of 9,368
  You must be young, DG and Philips are part of the Polygram corporation since 1972. 

Not young. I just don't keep up with corporate mergers, and I've been doing classical music only since 1990.

On a bit of a Saint-Saens kick tonight. A while back, someone asked about good recordings of the Organ symphony. De Waart has recorded it a number of times, and one of these ended up on a bargain disc with symphonic works conducted by Dutoit. It's a great way to grab the best of Saint-Saen's purely orchestral works on one disc.

The only Organ Sy I have, and I enjoy it, is the RCA Living Presence disc with Munch. Saint-Saens' violin cto resonates with me much more than his Organ imo.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5,525 of 9,368
On a bit of a Saint-Saens kick tonight. A while back, someone asked about good recordings of the Organ symphony. De Waart has recorded it a number of times, and one of these ended up on a bargain disc with symphonic works conducted by Dutoit. It's a great way to grab the best of Saint-Saen's purely orchestral works on one disc. Apart from the symphony, it includes: Danse Macabre, Phaeton, Le Rouet d'Omphale, Introduction & rondo capriccioso, & Marche militaire Francaise.

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Introduction-Capriccioso-militaire-francaise/dp/B00016XMX0

Doesn't say anything about the soloists. Can you help?

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #5,526 of 9,368
  I did not remember any recommendation about this one (I read the whole thread, it took me 3 months but I do not regret the well spent time, thank you all guys). Anyway, I really appreciate this one these days, Karajan conducts it very lively and the sound is good.

0825646251148.jpg

I also really enjoy the accessibility of the composing work itself. I often recommend "Pictures at an Exhibition" to people listening movie soundtracks and wanting to extend their listening to more "conventional" Classical works.

Yes, I have used pictures as well for that purpose
regular_smile .gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #5,529 of 9,368

You must be young, DG and Philips are part of the Polygram corporation since 1972. 

Not young. I just don't keep up with corporate mergers, and I've been doing classical music only since 1990.

It is about the same time I started with classical music, and it became very soon apparent to me that Philips, GD and DECCA were all under the same hat. Of course I lived in Germany then (as I do now, alas!) and those labels had common advertisement and marketing, it was very easy to get it that they had the same owner too. In other countries they probably didn't make such a fuss about it. And off course you are right, this fact is trivia, nothing that should really concern a record buyer and music lover. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5,530 of 9,368
  It is about the same time I started with classical music, and it became very soon apparent to me that Philips, GD and DECCA were all under the same hat. Of course I lived in Germany then (as I do now, alas!) and those labels had common advertisement and marketing, it was very easy to get it that they had the same owner too. In other countries they probably didn't make such a fuss about it. And off course you are right, this fact is trivia, nothing that should really concern a record buyer and music lover. 

No worries. Common ownership of music labels is too....common....
eek.gif

Curzon and Mozart. What a recording. With Britten conducting the ECO. And Kertesz/LSO.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,531 of 9,368

I started with classical exactly 40 years ago today. On 9/1/1975. To be honest, didn't always know the merger facts and didn't much care about. Still learning. Was even until recently called a Junior. A Junior-Headfier. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5,533 of 9,368
Started with classical in 1992 (year I was born)! My parents decided to leave Tchaikovsky in the background whenever I would sleep.

For some reason, I'm allergic to Tchaikovsky now, especially his piano concertos which I just cannot stand.
mad.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5,535 of 9,368
  Started with classical in 1992 (year I was born)! My parents decided to leave Tchaikovsky in the background whenever I would sleep.

For some reason, I'm allergic to Tchaikovsky now, especially his piano concertos which I just cannot stand.
mad.gif

His ballet suites are good, on occasion. The slow mvt to his Concerto #1 is very nice. Otherwise, I rarely play them.

1992? Wow, I was doing my PhD then!  Time flies! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back