Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 31, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,507 of 9,368
  Has anybody hear heard Imogen Cooper play the D.960 Schubert? Recommended? Comparisons to other female pianists like Uchida, Fischer?

Fischer>Uchida>Cooper

I am having dinner with her in October. Do pass on your thoughts on the recording, I will let her know. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,509 of 9,368
  Fischer>Uchida>Cooper

I am having dinner with her in October. Do pass on your thoughts on the recording, I will let her know. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't have Cooper's recording yet. iTunes has vol. 3, at a cheaper price than on Amazon.
I might have to go that route. For now, I have Fischer and a bunch of male pianists, quite very well done, better than Uchida imo. The latter is v.g. with Mozart.

When is your next recital/concert?

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,510 of 9,368

When is your next recital/concert?

Sadly, I am studying to go to medical school, and no time for sufficient practice 
frown.gif

Although thanks to this thread, I have restarted listening to a lot of symphonic works with renewed passion, which has been incredibly rewarding to say the least!

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #5,511 of 9,368
^^^ Good luck with med school -- which one?  Should you decide to become a neurologist, let me know.

I'm enjoying this disc on my floor system. Although the recs were from the 1950s some in mono, they sound incredibly clear and present.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,513 of 9,368
  ^^^ Good luck with med school -- which one?  Should you decide to become a neurologist, let me know.

Ooh Bantock looks interesting. Might have to order that tonight...

Probably somewhere in the UK, not sure yet, need to get some experience under my belt! 

Thank you! I shall let you know! You already have me hooked on Sack's book!

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5,514 of 9,368
There's a 6-CD set of the Hyperion stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Music-Sir-Granville-Bantock/dp/B000VR055C/

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #5,515 of 9,368
  There's a 6-CD set of the Hyperion stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Music-Sir-Granville-Bantock/dp/B000VR055C/

Cool. Will have to listen to them!

Thank you! I shall let you know! You already have me hooked on Sack's book!

There was a snide remark from a critic of Sacks a while back. The critic was a member of a patients' interest group, or something similar. Remember Sacks' book, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat"?

Well, the critic said that Sacks should not have exploited his patients by "using" them (unpaid!) for his many lucrative books on brain disorders.
He called Sacks "The Man Who Mistook His Patients For A Literary Career"
etysmile.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,516 of 9,368
@eyeresist:  Brendel does an excellent D.960, as does Kempff. I'm waiting on my set of Radu Lupu's Schubert recordings; looking forward to hearing those.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000BVEKKE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I wasn't overly impressed by Brendel's recording in his 70s box, but reports on the later recordings are very positive, so I will have to hear them eventually. At the moment, the best one I know is Kempff's 50s recording (another Eloquence release!).

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Piano-Sonatas-No-s-16/dp/B0036BDPW0/

As a side note on the Schubert sonatas, there are several completions of the Reliquie around, and I think the surviving material is well worth hearing. I've heard Richter's version on Youtube. He plays the fragments without completion, which works for the Menuetto surprisingly well - it seems to lead straight into the finale. However, having the final movement suddenly stop is very jarring, and I think does no service to Schubert's music. The only completion I know is Tirimo's. He is ... alright. Apparently he is among a number of completers who bring back the opening theme at the end, and end very quietly. The problem is there is no precedent for this in the sonatas - they all end with a bang, even the D.960. I know Badura-Skoda is a respected Schubertian who has written and recorded a completion, but from what I've heard of his playing he is just too too, always fiddling and breaking the flow (which of course is a matter of taste).

Any recommendataions for Schuberts Piano trios

Of the great modern trios: Fontenay recorded the trios for Teldec but they are out of print. Domus never did them, but apparently that trio evolved into the Florestans, who recorded them for Hyperion. The Borodins recorded them (of course) but I haven't heard them.

I don't have these, but I have quite adequate recordings by the Haydn-Trio Wien (Teldec/Warner) and Klaviertrio Amsterdam (Brilliant).

Are these the same recordings as the ones on Philips?
Unlikely -- I don't think that DG and Philips share their recordings, and I'm not aware of any merger/takeover like Decca/Philips/Universal etc.

DG are owned by Universal.
_

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #5,517 of 9,368
Originally Posted by muxamed 

Quote:
DG are owned by Universal.
_

So, these are the exact same recs as the Philips?

Correction: The DG set looks to be identical to the Philips 2-CD set. @muxamed, get the cheaper set!

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #5,520 of 9,368

Unlikely -- I don't think that DG and Philips share their recordings, and I'm not aware of any merger/takeover like Decca/Philips/Universal etc.

You must be young, DG and Philips are part of the Polygram corporation since 1972. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back