Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 2, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #5,551 of 9,368
  ^  She was quite striking, but I don't believe her m.o. was to attract attention to her looks, like it is with some of today's female performers on stage. M.A. may have felt that elegant looks complemented elegant keyboard work. Just imo.

I agree with you but I am sure her looks did help.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,555 of 9,368
Martha & Lang Lang video:  Hilarious, muted or normal.  As you said, at 1:40, Martha gives that Look -- More like  "My Place Or Yours?" 
eek.gif

Priceless.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,556 of 9,368
Absolutely. Not that she needed help, she was a prodigious talent at the piano.

when do you start med school?

Am applying this year so hopefully next year or maybe the year after it seems british med schools for graduate entry requires a lot of ward based work experience to see the non glamorous side of medics.

I'm amazed argerich didn't burst out laughing.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #5,558 of 9,368
  Martha & Lang Lang video:  Hilarious, muted or normal.  As you said, at 1:40, Martha gives that Look -- More like  "My Place Or Yours?" 
eek.gif

Priceless.

With Martha it can get even better. Try this film at about 32'

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,559 of 9,368
^^  Yeah, a young Argerich.
beerchug.gif

If you mute the sound, and block off the lower part with keyboard, it almost looks like she's having.....
tongue_smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #5,560 of 9,368
Started with classical in 1992 (year I was born)! My parents decided to leave Tchaikovsky in the background whenever I would sleep.

For some reason, I'm allergic to Tchaikovsky now, especially his piano concertos which I just cannot stand. :mad:
His ballet suites are good, on occasion. The slow mvt to his Concerto #1 is very nice. Otherwise, I rarely play them.

1992? Wow, I was doing my PhD then!  Time flies!  :eek:

I started seriously investigating classical around 2000, though I had picked up a few discs out of curiosity before then. When I was young, my parents were in a lot of G&S musicals, and in my teens I investigate my father's Reader's Digest classical box! I was especially impressed by the Wagner overtures at the time, but I think generally stuff that appears in "best of's" is a bit too mainstream for me now.

Tchaikovsky: Not a great fan of the concertos, though I guess they do what they're supposed to. I love the orchestral suites and the string serenade. Karajan is surprisingly good in the Tchaik symphonies, which I don't like overblown. I do think performers should be careful not to try turning Tchaik into Mahler - remember that Tchaik described Mozart as "a musical Christ"! So I think some transparency and elegance are required.

Regarding Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, this interesting pair of reviews points out that the blockbusting version we know is a posthumous revision that made a number of changes to the solo part.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Mar/Tchaikovsky_PC1_MYR016.htm

I've read raves about Colin Davis' Haydn London Symphs, Concertgebouw Amsterdam. Anyone have any experience with these? They're supposed to be THE versions of the Londons to have. Never imagined Davis to have been a Haydn guy. He's more Mozart and Berlioz, to me.

I'm into Adam Fischer and Szell's Haydn, myself.

I've listened to samples of the Davis a few times over the years, and have come away surprised at how highly they're rated. They're ... okay.

I recently ordered the box of Beecham's Haydn, so am looking forward to finally having a complete set of his London symphonies :)

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,561 of 9,368
I recently ordered the box of Beecham's Haydn, so am looking forward to finally having a complete set of his London symphonies
smily_headphones1.gif

You need to try Szell's Haydn. The humor shines through. The bassoon "fart" in 2nd mvt of #93 is hilarious, but don't yawn, you'll miss it in an auditory "eyeblink".

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #5,562 of 9,368
Deeply enjoying this record!

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5,563 of 9,368
Brass Section:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back