Bay Area meets coming up?
Nov 25, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #166 of 214
Well, I have my trusty Acoustic Zen Silver Reference and Moon Audio has been kind enough to send a set of the Silver Dragon I've really been wanting to hear so that covers the Blockhead and the Gilmore Balanced. I haven't received the Gilmore yet, here's hoping!

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #167 of 214
No word from SinglePower, I will email again today. As you say, gpalmer, one can hope.

I guess there won't be egg rolls from drewski; but maybe from someone else? As far as the food situation, how about a potluck situation where everyone brings a dish? How about that one dish (if you are not a cook– like me) that you are an expert at. I think everyone has one of these. For instance, out of need, in college, I developed a killer campus favorite spaghetti called "Trois Vignes" I can make a small pot of this to take care of one food group(pasta).

Caliguy is coming as far as I know

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #168 of 214
Hello,

I caliguy100, aka Steve, will be there. I don’t have any balanced IC though. I hope this won’t be a problem. Since there will already be some balanced IC’s could we swap them around?

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #169 of 214
Shouldn't be a problem. As long as the gilmore gets here, we will have two balanced amps and I have two sets of balanced ICs so we should be fine!

Nov 26, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #171 of 214
Word from Ivy: A new Airhead prototype is on the way, if I understood correctly. Not a Total Airhead, not yet.

I've hooked up everything but the Cosmic (my interconnects don't fit), and gotten good sounds out of them. The Little is quite respectable, and sounds great if you don't have a Max or Blockhead to compare to. The Max is even better. Blockhead was tested using the balanced Cardas cables and my HD650s, and sounds much better, partly due to the use of the stock cable on the lesser amps.

With the balanced setup, the HD600s and 650s both sounded great. But the 600s were a bit bright and thin by comparison, and bit coarse in texture. Pretty much what everyone has been saying about the comparisons they've done.

Overall, I found all the units a bit bright and tight for my tastes. I'd like a bit less top end edge, and a bit more bloom. I'm a tube guy, but I like a detailed, deeply transparent tube sound, very literal and accurate, not a warm or lush or vague/big image. So, you'll have to judge for yourself.

Compared with all of these, the headphone out of my SCD-XA777ES is decent, but not in the same league. Not embarrassed, but not as good. In some respects, though, the softer presentation of the 777 is a bit more to my liking. I can't wait to compare head-to-head with a Perreaux (which I liked quite well for the price compared to this same SCD-XA777ES), and a Singlepower MPX3 (for the tube lovers like me).

I think I'm convinced to get a Cardas cable for my HD650s. The stock ain't bad, but it is not competitive.

Next test: the RS-1 balanced with the Blockhead.

Nov 26, 2003 at 9:43 AM Post #172 of 214
OK, enough testing for tonight.

Of all the equipment lent to us by Headroom, and the limited stuff I own, here are my impressions:

Amps:

Little amplifier: good value, small space.
Max: Quite good!
Blockhead: overkill for most.

The amps aren't exactly my tastes, since I like more midrange and bass bloom, and a slightly less-forced treble.

I would love to see if the Perreaux holds its own against the Little or the Max, since the Perreaux is rather inexpensive, yet uses discrete transistors (no opamps, IIRC).

Headphones:

Grado RS-1 balanced: I don't like these. I own a pair of SR-125s, which seem good value for money, especially because they run on my portable devices without an amplifier rather well. But, I can't see paying more for Grados of this generation. Perhaps the older ones, but I doubt they are different enough to win me over. The RS-1 had thin sound with noticeable colorations, impotent bass, harsh textures (intermodulation distortion, it would seem), forward in-your-face (head, actually) perspectives, and not even able to place images relative to each other (woodwinds vs brass, for example, which are clearly placed on other transducers).

HD600: Not bad at all. Much superior to the RS-1. A bit bright on top and thinned out or blanched in the midrange, but not too bad. If I owned them, and wasn't dissatisfied, I don't think upgrading to the HD650 would haunt me.

HD650: A good step up from the HD600 (judged here with the same Cardas balanced cable), but not as big an improvement as the jump from RS-1 to HD600. Midrange now matches the bass and treble, both in quantity and in character, with smoother response and lower distortion throughout. Not a perfect electrostatic-like coherence, but really close. nice dynamics, including orchestral tuttis with bass that mangled the RS-1s. Imaging was above/forward of my head (not in it, or behind it, as with the RS-1). A nice illusion of sound outside my head in the room, but not enough to be fully convincing compared to speakers, especially at hard left or right sounds. Central images are nicely placed, with good depth layering, and good angular placements of sounds placed at small and moderate angles from center, too. I haven't heard better soundstaging on headphones. Personally, I don't get the dreaded three-blob sound on any headphones (perhaps my particular ears).

With the stock cable, the overall sound is a bit less transparent, with less audibility of the far corners of the stage or even the space around instruments. Timbres are a bit damaged, and timbral textures are slightly coarsened with low level information getting a bit lost in the smear. Even with these criticisms, if money were tight, I'd live with the stock cable and buy the HD650s (as opposed to a lesser can with better cable), knowing I could get a cardas cable later. I'll be getting one sooner, myself... but an unbalanced one.

Connectors on the HD650 and 600 were not a problem. They were firmer on the HD650, but after the first removal (it took a bit more force than I'd have thought, but not excessive), I found it easy to change cables quickly.

Best bargains? I think the HD650 is the big winner. And Cardas. I would not like a cable that is any brighter than Cardas, however, or "faster" or whatever adjective one could come up with.

I also found the Little rather good for only $260. One can also upgrade that amp. I'll have to ask Ivy if this loaner has the premium module. I believe the power supply is the base module.

I can't call the Max a bargain, and I'm not even sure how it compares with other $1600 amps, but it is certainly worth auditioning.

I think the Perreaux may have a less bright presentation, warmer and easier on the ears, without any treble exaggeration, this based on comparison of each against my SCD-XA777ES headphone output. The Perreaux may be more realistic and less sensationalized. I recall separation of images and timbres and textures were quite nice, a good improvement over my 777's output in all these dimensions. In contrast, the Headroom amps, perhaps higher-resolution and more solid sounding, were a bit less pleasing than even the headphone out of my SCD-XA777ES, and no less bright -- something that concerns me -- despite the obviously better resolution and extension.

Someone, please bring a Perreaux SXH1 and a Singlepower MPX3 to the meet!

Nov 26, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #173 of 214
My MPX3 is on it's way from Mikhial (can I say what a great guy he is? Excellent customer service). it won't be broken in, but I'll bring it. I also think both Habib and Bobjew have an MPX3, so Stoney, you should be able to enjoy it this Sunday.

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #175 of 214
I have a pair of balanced silver serpents, probably a lower tier IC but I'll bring them.

I'm not sure about the potluck - I'm sure I'll be tired of cooking and stuff by this weekend. Would anyone prefer to chip in for some takeout?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has either the Pearl Harbor or T2 DVDs with the Dolby Headphone track. I've been meaning to try to rent one of those, just to try out DH...

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #176 of 214
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
I'll be attending and coming from Mountain View if anyone needs/wants a ride (Morsel?). Also, I have a bunch of audio magazines I picked up from H_Man a couple of months ago. Any one interested? I can bring them to the meet.

Details:
"Stereophile Vol 20 no9 - Vol26 no4 (current)
Home Theater Magazine Jan 97- Jan 2003
Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, no 11,13-17, 21-63 (current)
I also have about a year of The Absolute Sound and Audio from maybe 1999"

I wouldn't mind checking out some TAS (which I've actually never read before).

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #177 of 214
I'll chip in for takeout nately. I'd probably be buying something from safeway deli or somewhere else anyway... Who's doing the buying? Oakland chinatown isn't that far from bobjew's place for those who like chinese food. And I'm sure they have eggrolls too.

Nov 26, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #178 of 214
I've got camera on it and I'll host the pics too
cool.gif
...gotta make sure all the goodness is fully documented.

My gear:

* "Badazz-Billet" Multiloop amp w/wallwart (Aesthetically broken
frown.gif
)
* Senn HD580, Stock Cable
* iRiver SlimX MP-350
* Senn MX400
* Sony MDR-A34

Stuff I'll bring if and only if someone wants to listen to it (unlike last time)
frown.gif
...stuff's big n heavy.

*Onkyo A-5 Reciever, recently 'tuned up' (1978)
*Onkyo T-9 Tuner, recently 'tuned up' (1978)
* ALR/Jordan Entry-S Satelight speakers
* Sony CDP-C525 5 Disc Changer

I'm in Berkeley so I can give one or two people a ride if they'd like. Let me know!

Nov 27, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #179 of 214
Ummm, take out.... I would love to cook but am not going to have the time before this meet. Count me on on the takout though!

Nov 27, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #180 of 214
The latest from Mikhail; he must be swamped!

Bob,

Thanks for hosting the meet. We've been really busy filling
orders and getting amplifiers to our customers. All of our
new enclosure models are either sold, shipped, or being built
at this time. We just shipped an MPX3 to a head-fi member in
your area. I believe he's attending the meet. That model
has the latest circuit and upgrades, so the sound is the same
as our new models. The new chassis and new models will be
available for demo in the next month. We're just too busy
right now to produce extra demo models. We're growing and
that's a great thing. Our capacity will be doubled by next
January, and that will allow for more head-fi meet demo
models.

In addition, there are several members who have Singlepower
Supra amps in your area. Maybe they can bring those as well.

We'll send you a demo unit to listen to, and maybe you can
have a mini-meet in a few months.

Thanks Again Bob,
Mikhail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back