Bay Area meets coming up?
Nov 29, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #196 of 214
Can you say a bit about how it sounds compared to the Cardas? What qualities does each seem to bring out?

Nov 29, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #197 of 214
I'm rather hesitant to post my initial impressions in detail since I don't feel they would be entirely accurate at this point. What I notice is that the 650s seem smoother and more detailed and I don't seem to notice the upper end reticience as much as I do with the Cardas. This upper end really impeded my enjoyment of these phones previously.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #198 of 214
I did a brief comparison of the HD650 and stock cable with a Headroom Max, against the Cardas balanced with a Blockhead (the comparable balanced amp, both driven by an unbalanced SCD-XA777ES).

I found the cardas opened up the soundstage, allowed much more detail, and most of all, allowed a sort of "seamlessness" of character from bass to treble, something that these phones are already known for. Thre was more sense of extension at the extremes, and a flatter overall response. Going back to the stock cable was like going from Stereophile Class A to Class C. Not horrible, but nowhere near the same league.

So, to my mind, it was a pretty clear imrovement, albeit with different amps and on a very short audition.

If the Moon could be said to provide more top end, my first hunch is for me to avoid it. I get plenty as it is. But, if it has a top-to-bottom improvement of some sort that is free from tradeoffs, then of course I should give it a listen.

Maybe, Sunday....

Nov 29, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #199 of 214
I can bring some hospital grade power strips. I also borrowed a Ultrasone HFI-2000 to bring, and of course I'll bring the prototype PPA. If there is anything else that I have that people are interested in hearing please let me know.

Nov 30, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #201 of 214
Good news: I've ghetto-rigged the innards my amp with the shaft from a small maglite and some paper so it functions nearly perfectly!
redface.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now I won't have to have it open so people can hold the 1/4" jack while they push phone plugs into it.

Any late-breaking need for rides in the Berkeley area or stuff people need picked up?

Nov 30, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #202 of 214
Quote:

Originally posted by Stoney
If the Moon could be said to provide more top end, my first hunch is for me to avoid it. I get plenty as it is. But, if it has a top-to-bottom improvement of some sort that is free from tradeoffs, then of course I should give it a listen.

After some more listening (and again, with great peril, since I have not listened enough to have pinpointed the differences) I think it comes down to the Moon Audio getting the midrange right. After listening for a couple of hours last night to the Silver Dragon and then switching back to the Cardas, what really came across was not so much that the midrange was less extended, but rather that the midrange was not as natural and right with the Cardas as it was with the Silver Dragon. It was really a subtle thing, however I find that I enjoy the 650s much more and will listen for much longer with the Silver Dragons than with the Cardas. Hoopefully you'll get a chance to listen and post your impressions tomorrow!

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #205 of 214
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
Kurt is having trouble finding his M-Audio Audiophile USB, does anyone have a decent USB audio interface they can bring for RMAA testing?

I sold my Onkyo
frown.gif
I'll see if I can get ahold of one of my friends with one and borrow it but I dunno this late.

Nov 30, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #206 of 214
I wanted to go but it looks like i will prolly miss this one due to my group project
frown.gif
, I'm expecting lots and lots of pictures.

I want to see the bay area Head-fi Gang!
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #207 of 214
Quote:

Originally posted by zbuddah
I wanted to go but it looks like i will prolly miss this one due to my group project
frown.gif
, I'm expecting lots and lots of pictures.

I want to see the bay area Head-fi Gang!
wink.gif

Well I'm bringing 2 SLR bodies, 4 lenses, a dozen rolls of film, a digital point and shoot and enough smartmedia for hundreds of pics. I think pics are covered
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #208 of 214
Crap. Well, have fun without me. Just got a call from my friend Rick, he blew up his office PC, so I will be re-building that for him today instead of being out having fun....

Damn it. Why does real-life always interfere with having fun.
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #210 of 214
very_evil_smiley.gif
Meet review pending
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back