Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Oct 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #62 of 5,854
David,

Tried any MB Quart/ German Maestro phones?  If you're looking for more potential not-so-well-known gems, you might want to look into their lineup :wink:

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #63 of 5,854
Quote:
David, thank you very much for the fantastic review. I agree with you on so many points. I wish you had included DT990 too, especially the Pro version which can be bought for well under $200 as I think they sound better than DT880. DT990 are more detailed and dynamic than DT880 with similar midrange tonality, while the lows and highs can easily be EQ'ed to one's liking if one find the emphasis excessive IMO. I personally found DT880s somewhat sterile, a little closed in and boring sounding, but to each their own of course. I completely agree with you about HE-500's phenomenal sound for the price and most of what you wrote about HD650, although I am not sure about the lack of treble on HD650s. Can't the highs on HD650s be brought out through EQ'ing, considering that their quality is very good?

Thank you!

Wow, that's the second request for the DT990.  I wish I hadn't sold my pair.  I always liked them btw.  I think had they made it into the review it would have placed around the 30 mark for me.  

I didn't use EQ in assessing the headphones, but yes, you can get more treble out of the HD650 by doing this.  but its base tonality is a mellower one.  Unless one has a very good EQ module (digital or analog) you're probably going to be tampering with the fidelity by using EQ.  However, the ears will like what it likes, and whether or not you are distorting the sound shouldn't matter as much as what your ears prefer.

I love the HD650, and when I first joined head-fi, they were probably my favorite headphone

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #64 of 5,854
Quote:
David,

Tried any MB Quart/ German Maestro phones?  If you're looking for more potential not-so-well-known gems, you might want to look into their lineup :wink:

i keep hearing about these! I would love to add them in.  Ultimately I'd like to add a few more inclusions in...

the Koss ESP950 are at the forefront of my list
the Ultrasone Sig Pro line
The German Maestros
The DT990...
maybe another flagship in-ear....

but i think my headphone buying days are over for at least a year hahaha

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #65 of 5,854
Holy moly David! 
eek.gif

Fantastic job buddy! A great "gift" and contribution to Head-fi!

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #66 of 5,854
Quote:
i keep hearing about these! I would love to add them in.  Ultimately I'd like to add a few more inclusions in...

the Koss ESP950 are at the forefront of my list
the Ultrasone Sig Pro line
The German Maestros
The DT990...
maybe another flagship in-ear....

but i think my headphone buying days are over for at least a year hahaha

It's too bad you're east coast... I have three models you could try

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #70 of 5,854
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I think I may have just read one of the greatest and most awe-inspiring endeavor on Head-Fi yet. Beautiful format, wonderfully in-depth. Truly an outstanding effort!

^^

This!

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #71 of 5,854
Quote:
We consumers could always use some like new open box headphones from headphones.com 
biggrin.gif
.... at massive discounts of course  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Excellent reviews BTW

:) We are talking about what we may able to provide for the holiday.  Keep eyes peeled :D

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #73 of 5,854
David, out of curiosity - have you tried the modded Fostex T50RP variants (Mad Dog/Paradox)?  Would be interested to see your take on them.

Also, that was a heck of an effort, thank you so much for sharing!

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #74 of 5,854
Quote:
David, out of curiosity - have you tried the modded Fostex T50RP variants (Mad Dog/Paradox)?  Would be interested to see your take on them.

Also, that was a heck of an effort, thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks!

I haven't tried those mods. It's been years since I've heard the T50RPs :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back