Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #46 of 5,854
The CD collection REALLY opened my eyes while reading your comparisons. Like it REALLY opened my eyes. Other than the CDs, excellent comparisons. Only a few special members are able to do such incredible things like this and look at you! Definitely front page worthy! This should be in the front page of places like Gizmodo, Innerfidelity, Headfonia, C-Net, and ever other gizmo sites! A HUGE cheers to you!

EDIT: I must be drunk already on this halloween night... This should be on the front page of Head-Fi most importantly!!!

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #47 of 5,854
David,

Thanks for the review; i've been keeping my eye out for it since you made your first headphone comparison thread.  This is the best/most in-depth review I have seen on Head-Fi.  It's truly amazing.

-I have one quick question for you.  I've owned the HD600 for about three years now and have been considering upgrading to either the HD800 or getting an SR-007 rig.  Regardless of the amplification, do you think either of these headphones will definitely be worth while over the HD600 or is the HD600 good enough to keep one from needing more?  I have heard the 007 and the HD800 briefly at Can Jam '10 but didn't have long enough with them to really decide if they are worth going for over what is already a great headphone.

Again thanks for your excellent review.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #48 of 5,854
Quote:
The CD collection REALLY opened my eyes while reading your comparisons. Like it REALLY opened my eyes. Other than the CDs, excellent comparisons. Only a few special members are able to do such incredible things like this and look at you! Definitely front page worthy! This should be in the front page of places like Gizmodo, Innerfidelity, Headfonia, C-Net, and ever other gizmo sites! A HUGE cheers to you!

EDIT: I must be drunk already on this halloween night... This should be on the front page of Head-Fi most importantly!!!

Thanks man! I'm gonna have a drink too hahaha.... getting this to work properly in the forum was a stressful task today:)

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #50 of 5,854
Quote:
David,

Thanks for the review; i've been keeping my eye out for it since you made your first headphone comparison thread.  This is the best/most in-depth review I have seen on Head-Fi.  It's truly amazing.

-I have one quick question for you.  I've owned the HD600 for about three years now and have been considering upgrading to either the HD800 or getting an SR-007 rig.  Regardless of the amplification, do you think either of these headphones will definitely be worth while over the HD600 or is the HD600 good enough to keep one from needing more?  I have heard the 007 and the HD800 briefly at Can Jam '10 but didn't have long enough with them to really decide if they are worth going for over what is already a great headphone.

Again thanks for your excellent review.

I think the HD600 is a beast! I can't tell you the HD800 or SR007 is going to knock it out of the park.  I think they're both better headphones, but it really depends on your ears and your listening preferences. I love the HD800 for being about as blank as a headphone can be (in terms of color)...
The 007 is more mellow by comparison, but extremely transparent, in a way which no dynamic headphone really can be.  It's the decay of electrostatic headphones that blow the dynamics away. 
If I was in your position, I may stick with the HD600 until you can go back to a meet and do a comparison. The HE500 is a great headphone for the money too. But again, for value and longstanding reputation, the HD600 still may win in my book.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #51 of 5,854
Awesome review, going to be really helpful for years to come.

On a side note, I had the feeling HE-500 would have the best price/performance ratio. The only possible flaw in it in depth.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #54 of 5,854
The he400 is really proving to be somewhat of a diamond in the rough with regard to budget orthos. It's a shame that it didn't make your list. I suppose that it doesn't really fall in the category of a flagship. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #55 of 5,854
Well Dave could rename the thread "Battle of the Flagships and support gunners" and include some non-flagship high performance cans too, without messing with the whole naval warfare theme. Heh.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #56 of 5,854
Really enjoyed reading this as it had a lot of objective information in it. Seemed very unopinionated towards the cans, a well thought out detailing of their highlights and pitfalls.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #57 of 5,854
Would like to see other high performing ones like modded T50RP and HE-400 added, since ones like HD700 and HE-500 were never flagships.  I can agree with most of the points presented here, though I havn't even heard 90% of the listed headphones, but based on interpolation you have very trustworthy impressions.  The latest Rev2 LCD2s might be a justifiable replacement for the Rev1 in the list.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #58 of 5,854
Fantastic write-up David.  Well done.  

Enjoyed all the write-ups, and although I haven't heard a of of the higher end set-ups, I found your comments on the headphones I do own pretty much spot on.

I see you were a fan of the Shure IEMs before a lot more of the top tier universals materialised in the last 24 months.  Not sure if you've heard the new SE535 Ltd Ed (as they only seem to be in Asia/Australasia).  Looks like I'll be in NY late Feb.  If you're around, and would like to hear them - PM me some time, and I'll see if I can get my set to you for a few hours.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #59 of 5,854
Quote:
Fantastic write-up David.  Well done.  

Enjoyed all the write-ups, and although I haven't heard a of of the higher end set-ups, I found your comments on the headphones I do own pretty much spot on.

I see you were a fan of the Shure IEMs before a lot more of the top tier universals materialised in the last 24 months.  Not sure if you've heard the new SE535 Ltd Ed (as they only seem to be in Asia/Australasia).  Looks like I'll be in NY late Feb.  If you're around, and would like to hear them - PM me some time, and I'll see if I can get my set to you for a few hour

Thanks brooko, that's a generous offer?  What's different about them?  haven't heard much about them

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #60 of 5,854
David, thank you very much for the fantastic review. I agree with you on so many points. I wish you had included DT990 too, especially the Pro version which can be bought for well under $200 as I think they sound better than DT880. DT990 are more detailed and dynamic than DT880 with similar midrange tonality, while the lows and highs can easily be EQ'ed to one's liking if one find the emphasis excessive IMO. I personally found DT880s somewhat sterile, a little closed in and boring sounding, but to each their own of course. I completely agree with you about HE-500's phenomenal sound for the price and most of what you wrote about HD650, although I am not sure about the lack of treble on HD650s. Can't the highs on HD650s be brought out through EQ'ing, considering that their quality is very good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back