Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Mar 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,366 of 2,761
Let me make a few things clear, before I do any more of what I realize some might see as bashing the ASG-1.

This is an incredible IEM for the introductory price. A/Bing, the ASG-1 blows my EPH-100 out of the water in terms of instrument timbre, overall tonal balance/natural-ness of the sound, bass extension, and a million other ways. From memory alone I know I am hearing things with these that I definitely did not hear with my Klipsch X10; the sound is not as lush or forward, but even though the vocals are not as enveloping, I can hear gentle raspiness of vocals and textures in bass that just weren't there in the X10.

This is a really amazing IEM; to be honest I wasn't sure I'd ever hear anything so precise sounding out of a dynamic driver. The more I listen to it, the more I think I will keep it, because it clearly does things that make it without real competition in the current market of universals.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,367 of 2,761
At higher volumes, there is a kind of almost physical sharpness in the sound of some vocals, especially belted ones but potentially any. It's not just the volume or emphasis of the mids; I remember playing my SE215 and X10, both of which have forward mids and vocal presentations, at higher volumes, and I feel with great certainty that I never experienced this with either. It's true that I cannot do an A/B with either, but even with my Yamaha EPH-100, which also have emphasized mids (although not as much as any of the others mentioned here), I can listen to vocals at much higher volumes without having this reaction.

Quote:
can anyone explain this "mids being too shouty" what does it even sound like?

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,368 of 2,761
^Hmn, which particular instrument/sound/vocal/track is doing it for you?

My test material for this is Cowboy Junkies' Postcard Blues (The Trinity Session) - harmonica that starts on 1:41. I think/hope that's what 'shouty' means :p
Another is John Ondrasik's vocals (Five For Fighting) in Freedom Never Cries.

I am sort of getting a bit of it with the DBA-02.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,369 of 2,761
Will have one shortly.

Is there really nothing at all? In mine it almost looks like a piece of fiber or thread that is tied to the driver.

Quote:
I'm curious about this. Mine doesn't have anything of the sort. Can you possibly get a picture? 

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,370 of 2,761
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/gilligan87/103_27521.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/gilligan87/103_27561.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/gilligan87/103_27581.jpg

Might have to zoom in/tilt screen to see the last one, it's blurry but can be seen through the matte acrylic from the outside half of the shell.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,371 of 2,761
Any vocals I've heard so far have it at least slightly: Amanda Palmer, Bjork, Duvdev from Infected Mushroom (with or without synthesizer alterations), every Roots track I've listened to...source material is all 320 or FLAC.

Quote:
^Hmn, which particular instrument/sound/vocal/track is doing it for you?

My test material for this is Cowboy Junkies' Postcard Blues (The Trinity Session) - harmonica that starts on 1:41. I think/hope that's what 'shouty' means :p
Another is John Ondrasik's vocals (Five For Fighting) in Freedom Never Cries.

I am sort of getting a bit of it with the DBA-02.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,372 of 2,761

You're welcome ANDEROAN, and I still haven't given up on our other project. I'm working on it dude. Have patience (although he is tired of me type that..lol)... In the meanwhile, enjoy the ASG-1.. And yes, we hear them the same way pretty much (with a lot less "hubba hubba..." from me...lol. You can keep the "hubba hubbas...."...lol)...
Quote:
none of the shouting effect with my listening, well back from my coma, thank you Mr. EP10! just what the audio doctor ordered, take two ASGs and never have to call him again, damn, these blow my EX600s out of the water, they have the fullness and excelent treble of the 7550s, and with a 4d effect of the 600s and then some, like ALOT of the sumptin, WHA!

but I am liking these, I never thought that I'd find this in a dynamic, or any other for that matter, that could be this engaging? well my musick therapy just went to the next level? it's like my musickness should sound, lol, EVERYTHING is tight, exteremely detailed, and FULL! to the brim, and oozing all over my brain, hubba hubba hubbity hub hub hub! did I miss any hubbas? hhmmm, nope! that says it all,

I wonder how the Fostex, or Solo could add to these? I can't imagine them being able to do so, I think I just saved myself $600.00 or so, kowabunga! probably the best money I've spent in a while? well the TTVJ will give me some contrast, as the Voyager ZOv1 setup is sounding uber NICE! yes they take to amping super quiet well, eric I hope your hearing what I am hearing 
biggrin.gif
! thanks bro for recomending these little beauties, WOW! 

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,374 of 2,761
My PC sound card (nothing special) and my HTC Inspire/Desire HD running CM7, 320 kbps mp3s and FLAC through PowerAmp. It has occurred to me that this may be a problem; a smartphone, even with aftermarket firmware, isn't a top notch source. However, I hesitate to blame it solely on the source, because the sound quality after rooting was noticeably better than the non-Voodooed Galaxy S I tested it against, as well as my PC sound card and any other smartphone I've tested against - quite a few: I work for T-Mobile. I have plans to buy a Clip+ soon, so I will have a more "standard" source, but given the differences I am able to tell between different bitrates and detail levels of headphones, coupled with the fact that I've never experienced this particular effect with any other headphone when using this same setup, I have no inclination to blame the source for this particular problem.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,375 of 2,761
Well I wouldn't rule it out. Just a fyi check out this article as you are most concerned with the treble and that seems to be the most lacking area of the audio in your current device http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_hd-review-534p5.php. The CM guys do great work but usually what they do to audio and sound drivers is quite limited, and by that I mean usually focuses on EQing and customizing the sound yourself, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't adjust that on certain devices. You'd have to check out the work of a developer like supercurio to get an overhaul of it. I have a g2x with voodoo, which uses the wolfson chip, and honestly cannot hear what you are hearing out of it as far as it being unnatural. Now, some sounds and bands I do get a cringe affect when they hit those high notes, but I actually do the same thing when listening to them in person as I'm particularly sensitive to very high frequencies, and can hear very high up which can cause me a lot of discomfort. Just some food for thought. PM me if you have any more questions about it as I'm fairly knowledgeable on phone sources. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,376 of 2,761
I hesitate to blame it all on his source (though certainly upgrading would help in a number of ways). I've reported hearing the "shouty" thing, and I've run them through all kinds of high-end DACs and amps. It might just be a thing where some people are more sensitive to it than others. Sibalance works that way, as does mid-bass bloat - some people don't notice those much and others can't stand them. So this shouty thing could be the same.

That said, I was listening to some very high quality 24/192 material from 2L Records today and the ASG-1 sounded excellent. It isn't perfect, but there are some things that it can do which can't be matched this side of a flagship custom. The AS-1b is even better. I'm really impressed by these two. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,377 of 2,761

Quote:
I hesitate to blame it all on his source (though certainly upgrading would help in a number of ways). I've reported hearing the "shouty" thing, and I've run them through all kinds of high-end DACs and amps. It might just be a thing where some people are more sensitive to it than others. Sibalance works that way, as does mid-bass bloat - some people don't notice those much and others can't stand them. So this shouty thing could be the same.

That said, I was listening to some very high quality 24/192 material from 2L Records today and the ASG-1 sounded excellent. It isn't perfect, but there are some things that it can do which can't be matched this side of a flagship custom. The AS-1b is even better. I'm really impressed by these two. 

They definitely have a louder sound towards certain frequencies, but for the issues with treble he has, I know that that particular source is pretty lousy on that end of the spectrum as well as rolled off bass. I don't think his source is playing much of an issue with the mid-range as that's how these are supposed to sound, but I can definitely see an issue with his higher frequencies. But we'll see. He's thinking of getting a different source and hopefully will report back when he does. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,378 of 2,761
I've actually switched from the Senn biflanges over to the medium stock tips, and wow! Comfort is better, the fit in my outer ear has improved, and the sound is less shouty! The cymbals are still not as vibrant as other earphones I've used. The emphasis on the treble  is greater than my MS400, and the tonal balance is brighter, but extension isn't there.

I'm playing with the EQ more, just little tweaks...I think the shoutiness, as I perceive it, exists throughout the midrange.

I think I will be keeping these. They are essentially the analytical version of the sound signature I am looking for.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,379 of 2,761
I am indeed looking into other sources; I can't blame my phone for all of the problems I'm feeling with these, as I have not experienced the same shortcomings with other IEMs, and others are seeing them as well, but I'm more than open to the possibility that they will improve even more with a source of more established quality. I still don't think they are the signature I am ultimately in search of, and am resigned to the fact that I am sensitive to the particular frequencies that they emphasize, but I have no qualms with EQing, and as I said in my last post, they seem to be a very capable example of an analytical version of the tonal balance I am looking for, and I feel fairly certain I will be holding on to them.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,380 of 2,761

Quote:
I've actually switched from the Senn biflanges over to the medium stock tips, and wow! Comfort is better, the fit in my outer ear has improved, and the sound is less shouty! The cymbals are still not as vibrant as other earphones I've used. The emphasis on the treble  is greater than my MS400, and the tonal balance is brighter, but extension isn't there.

I'm playing with the EQ more, just little tweaks...I think the shoutiness, as I perceive it, exists throughout the midrange.

I think I will be keeping these. They are essentially the analytical version of the sound signature I am looking for.

Isn't it interesting how much the sound signature changes based on the tips? I bet you thought you had a perfect seal with the medium stock tips too. Yet somehow things change majorly with a slightly different fit, even if the seal itself doesn't necessarily seem better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back