Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Mar 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,381 of 2,761
Guys just reading the above - let me put my input in for source:
The SGS1 rooted, with voodoo, as gily said, and especially with poweramp, beats the living hell out of my ASUS XONAR D1

When I'm testing headphones/earphones, I rather do tests with my phone, rather than with my PC's soundcard.
Its that "good" of a source.

So its not source - its such a typical head-fi thing to say though:
-Is it your source?
-Have you tried different tips?
-Have you tried rebooting it...wait what?
-Are you a noob? haha :D

EDIT:
I do think, from reading all the pages of this thread, that the tips are by far one of the most important aspects of not only the ASG-1's but of all earphones (that I know) - some work with any tips, some really need new ones etc.
That's another thing I love about Monster (one of very few things that said) is that they know that tips are VERY important, for the seal, and SQ - so they added a sleuth of tips so that you can get the right tip to give a tip. (meme much?)

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,382 of 2,761
Well the seal isn't any better, but something about the angle of the phone with the stock tips makes the housing sit more flush with my ear and changed the angle of the nozzle in my ear canal; I think maybe my canals are too shallow to have the biflanges both seal properly and angle the nozzle correctly, likely due to the longish stem. They are much more comfortable and some of the shoutiness is subdued. The sound also seems a little fuller and more coherent. I would love to try these with some tips designed for deepr insertion, like the klipsch ear gels or some other tapered biflange, but they'd never fit.

Quote:
Isn't it interesting how much the sound signature changes based on the tips? I bet you thought you had a perfect seal with the medium stock tips too. Yet somehow things change majorly with a slightly different fit, even if the seal itself doesn't necessarily seem better. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,383 of 2,761

Quote:
I've actually switched from the Senn biflanges over to the medium stock tips, and wow! Comfort is better, the fit in my outer ear has improved, and the sound is less shouty! The cymbals are still not as vibrant as other earphones I've used. The emphasis on the treble  is greater than my MS400, and the tonal balance is brighter, but extension isn't there.

I'm playing with the EQ more, just little tweaks...I think the shoutiness, as I perceive it, exists throughout the midrange.

I think I will be keeping these. They are essentially the analytical version of the sound signature I am looking for.

I've found that deeper inserting tips such as the Senns, really don't do the ASG-1 justice. I found they made the mids overly forward, too dry, and the treble too edgy. Shanes description of "etched" was very apt. Perhaps this is due to my canals being shorter than average, as shallower inserting tips sound infinitely better. The mids retreat and the bass comes forward, giving a very enjoyable result.

Now, if it wasn't for the excessive driver flex in one ear pierce (limited to my batch I believe), I'd be very happy indeed! Dale continues to demonstrate unparalleled custom service however, and is shipping me out a replacement. He's even letting me keep hold of my current ones, until the replacement arrives. What a contrast to my Earsonics experience last year! I know words to this effect have been stated plenty of times previously, but a precedent is being set here, not only in terms of performance / value for money ratio, but also in the way that the manufacturer reaches out to engage users.  

I am the last person to exhibit brand loyalty, but Aurisonics have definitely won me over.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,384 of 2,761
^
beerchug.gif
^

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,386 of 2,761
I was a little disappointed to be told my delivery was going to be on the 2nd, then that got moved to monday/tuesday (thus 5-6th) and now I've been told it will be friday...(9th)
Even though my order was "in the shipping queue" - which i thought was with Matt, in his hands ready to post out...I guess I was wrong...

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #1,387 of 2,761
Yeah, the delays are a bummer, but it's just because they have received such a huge influx of orders due to head-fi publicity. It's not really a shortcoming you can blame them for; they've probably never seen this kind of business.

Personally I was fine with waiting, given the knowledge that I'm supporting an American company that does everything in its power to serve its customers well. But then I'm an American ^_^

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,389 of 2,761
@Totallydubbed, I was addressing a stated source of his that has a known deficiency that would likely be attributing to what he was hearing in regards to treble for these phones. Source can be very important and it's hard to do headphones justice without at least a good one. It shouldn't be ruled out. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,390 of 2,761

Quote:
@Totallydubbed, I was addressing a stated source of his that has a known deficiency that would likely be attributing to what he was hearing in regards to treble for these phones. Source can be very important and it's hard to do headphones justice without at least a good one. It shouldn't be ruled out. 

don't get me wrong I agree.
But his source is fine :)

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,391 of 2,761
Wow, these continue to impress me...hearing a few all new sounds in my Infected Mushroom tracks. If I could just get rid of that upper mids coloration in the cymbals and make them sound fuller and more natural...these would be the end of the road for me, easily. Bass is great, a smidge less in overall quantity than I want ideally, but a bit of tuning with PowerAmp makes them just about perfect. I find myself using lower listening volume than usual because the details are just right there.

Switching tips didn't change the sound signature, but it did partially address my main issue with the ASG-1.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,392 of 2,761
I'm not ruling out that some of what I perceive as deficiencies will be solved by a new source. But it's true that I haven't had this problem with some other headphones.

Quote:
don't get me wrong I agree.
But his source is fine :)

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,393 of 2,761

Quote:
Wow, these continue to impress me...hearing a few all new sounds in my Infected Mushroom tracks. If I could just get rid of that upper mids coloration in the cymbals and make them sound fuller and more natural...these would be the end of the road for me, easily. Bass is great, a smidge less in overall quantity than I want ideally, but a bit of tuning with PowerAmp makes them just about perfect. I find myself using lower listening volume than usual because the details are just right there.

Switching tips didn't change the sound signature, but it did partially address my main issue with the ASG-1.

that's great to hear Gily!
So which ones are you preferring? Yamas (maybe another?) or the ASG-1's so far?

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,394 of 2,761
Definitely the ASG-1. I find the timbre much more realistic for the most part. Separation is not as noticeable at first but is clearly superior, along with soundstage. The EPH is warmer, and its separation shows through despite this, which is what I think makes it so noticeable; the ASG-1 on the other hand separates flawlessly; it's like the defensive line that makes everything run smoothly but you sometimes forget is there. Though if I could, I would take a compromise between the different ways they present treble; EPH100s seem to accentuate some higher frequency which the ASG-1 attenuates, though I can't isolate exactly what it is yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back