Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Mar 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,336 of 2,761
It is like the MP8320 on acid. Lol!! I am just enjoying these right now. These are incredible. I couldn't ask for a better fit either. I am lucky I have your standard medium sized ears I suppose. So far for me. I am glad I drank the kool aid. Now time for some burn in..

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,337 of 2,761

Quote:
It is like the MP8320 on acid. Lol!! I am just enjoying these right now. These are incredible. I couldn't ask for a better fit either. I am lucky I have your standard medium sized ears I suppose. So far for me. I am glad I drank the kool aid. Now time for some burn in..

i would love to know how the bass compares tot he 8320's (funnily enough)

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,338 of 2,761
Dsnuts, as James Brown says in the classic '70s funk song, "The Boss," >>> "Told you so....!!"

Glad you like them.. I paid you back in dividends.... And yes, they get better!!! Have them at work with me today and don't really hear any shoutyness (never heard it too much to begin with). Great phones man....Now you're hearing with a universal the level of what many customs can do, and do well..

Quote:
The sound these things emit is crazy. So accurate and everything is tight on the sound. The more I am listening to them the more I am impressed. I can see what guys are saying about the shoutyness in the mids.. It aint that bad for me actually. It makes sense for a stage monitor.. OH Damn! I just put this on to test out the bass.
Oh yea. So does anyone here want to buy a slightly used GR07 or how about a EX600??

And this is before burn and the tip go round? SO these get better? Wut? . I can't imagine what a 2nd driver can do for these. Thanks to Dale from Aurosonics and Matt form Springtree to make these happen for me. I love it when I get more than what I payed for...

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,339 of 2,761
Well I have to thank you Eric for your impressions of these. It was what made me interested in them. I think I will just skip the Sony XBAs all together lol!! I will try out a few different tips I have here but the stock tips aren't too bad for me actually. I am using the large silicone tips that came with my UE500s and they seem to be about as perfect sounding as it is gonna get so far. Will try a few others. 

It is astonishing this sound comes form one driver. I mean you can pick out just about everything in the sound. It is quite remarkable.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,340 of 2,761

Quote:
The sound these things emit is crazy. So accurate and everything is tight on the sound. The more I am listening to them the more I am impressed. I can see what guys are saying about the shoutyness in the mids.. It aint that bad for me actually. It makes sense for a stage monitor.. OH Damn! I just put this on to test out the bass. Oh yea. So does anyone here want to buy a slightly used GR07 or how about a EX600??

And this is before burn and the tip go round? SO these get better? Wut? . I can't imagine what a 2nd driver can do for these. Thanks to Dale from Aurosonics and Matt form Springtree to make these happen for me. I love it when I get more than what I payed for...

YEP YEP YEPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x100

its only been 5 minutes with mine, they where waiting for me when I got home, and the fit with the stock med tips fit perfect! Holy Shimolies what a sound! will report more after some burn in? well that's if I wake up from my audio coma! I'm gonna be stoned in luv with these before the day is over!

WHA! HUH! NU-UH! YEP YEP YEPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!​

L3000.gif
!!
beerchug.gif
!!
atsmile.gif
!!           ​

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,341 of 2,761
I'm going to hold off on full impressions for a while, but I thought I might reach out and share some of my findings so far. (after 4 hours of use)

For those that find these shouty or hollow (boom box) and have the ability to use a parametric EQ, try something like this:

This might help.  It worked for me and It should at least get you in the ballpark (I've lowered the top end a db since that pic was taken).  As they are (designed for stage duty), I don't think the ASG-1 is going to appeal to the masses (not it's intended purpose anyway).  However, If you have the ability to EQ them parametrically or otherwise, you'll find that the drivers are quite capable of sounding both musical and revealing.  They respond very well to equalization.  As currently voiced, (even for stage/performing) I'd personally want a bit more top end (at least so far - subject to change after burn-in).  They also sound fantastic out of my Cowon J3 with some BBE processing.

As for the tips...  I've been tip rolling all afternoon and so far the Monster Super tips (gels) have worked the best (comfort & sound wise) for me, followed by the smaller dual flange from Hifiman. I've gone through my entire tip selection (quite diverse and large) and I'm sorry to say that I just don't see any magical tip out there that's going to make these any better for me (without EQ). I've heard subtle differences, but in the end it came down to comfort and serviceability.  The trade-offs varied from tip to tip, and some were easier to overcome with Eq than others, but none of them transformed the IEM.  As such, these will serve me well on my desktop rig and out of my J3.

I don't regret my purchase one bit and I certainly don't fault Aurisonics for anything, other than making me curious as to how the AS-1 sounds.  They've marketed and produced a fantastic product that is meant to, and should, serve musicians and performers well.  It will definitely give them a taste of what a true In Ear Monitor is capable of. 

I'll reserve further judgement/impressions until these have had more time running through my physical and mental burn-in process.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,343 of 2,761
ANDEROAN, Dsnuts and Joey....I'm so glad to hear your initial impressions, and it sounds like we're all in the same ballpark at least (although the sound game with these is more advanced for some than others). Give it time and burn-in. I you like them now, you will really like (or love) the ASG-1 later. And even Dale encourages eq-ing, but I never felt the need for it really. Perfect on flat for me, but the IEM is highly eq-able...lol (yes, making up words for the wonderful ASG-1). Now, I'm waiting for FlySweep to chime in!! Come on dude!! Happy listening...
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,344 of 2,761
I have to admit at first listen I was taken aback at the different sound presentation..I am more used to dynamics with more of a direct fire vs these which have more a funneled sound from the driver. Then I threw on some Earth Wind and Fire and it just threw a smile from ear to ear it was like. WOW. Lol!

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,346 of 2,761
Hmmm...I am impressed by the clarity, soundstage, instrument placement, and bass, I will definitely say that, but first impressions of the overall sound are 
blink.gif
 This is with about two hours of burn in. I definitely hear the shouty mids; they seem to color the sound in a rather unnatural way, IMO. Everything above the lower midrage sounds veeeery dry; cymbals sound well textured but note-wise somewhat flat to me, not bright enough, kind of shimmery but not sparkly; the effect reminds me of a more accurate, darker version of the trick that the EPH100 plays on treble; something about the timbre and decay just seems a bit off, although its like there is more upper mids coloration in the cymbals, as opposed to lower highs in the EPH100. It seems like they tuned the highs for lower listening fatigue, but rather than making the treble smooth and/or recessed, they just sucked out the highest notes and replaced them with hiss. The vocals are also placed strangely...they seem intimate from the standpoint of their objective positioning in the soundstage, in that they almost feel like they are coming from right behind/below me, but I don't find the vocal presentation to be enveloping the way I had assumed stage monitors were, after reading reviews on the SM2/3, UM3x, etc. I don't think the ASG-1 sounds unnatural on the whole, though; when I EQ some of the mid frequencies back about 1 dB, they definitely sound very natural and have a very good all-around presentation with a very coherent sound, good timbre in the lower mids and bass, and GREAT bass punch, though it's not my favorite presentation. The decay on some of the notes in upper registers makes me miss my Klipsch X10, though...they aren't really very fast, hoping this will improve with burn-in (I've never experienced tremendous changes with burn-in, though). Detail retrieval is probably the best I have heard yet, maybe a step behind the W3, but that's from memory and the W3 are also BAs which are faster and sound more precise, which seems more detailed sometimes. The soundstage, I have to say, is really impressive. Separation and placement blow my EPH-100 out of the water; to me, these almost sound like full-sized headphones. There is something odd about the soundstage, though...this next part is very subjective, but it feels oddly spherical in shape. I can see how others might hear them as cavernous and empty with a bad seal, but even with a perfect seal these seem to have a soundstage that begins behind my head between my ears and extends outward, with the bass coming from dead center, almost beneath my chin. Everything seems to sit low in the soundstage. Very odd.

As far as fit goes, the ASG-1 fit in my ears well size-wise, similar to my ex-beloved SE215, and I get a good seal using Sennheiser double flanges, but the shape of the inside of the IEM is different from the shape of my concha and it puts pressure in a weird place.

I think I will most likely be selling/trading these, but I am going to let them burn in a while and give them another chance tomorrow.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,347 of 2,761
They definitely get better with a little burn in as I noticed the bass opened up for me a lot and of course there is the mental burn in of just getting used to how a headphone sounds. @Dsnuts, best song to just test out the bass on these for me has been Rack City. Just low low bass coming in and out of the song. Also, definitely the quickest dynamics I've heard. It's like having almost a balanced armature and dynamic driver stuffed into the ear piece. These go so well with faster rock. Listening to tool is just fun. Also, I'd recommend giving O.S.I's blood and radiolounge. Very interesting rock songs that you'll miss parts of the song without good headphones. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,348 of 2,761
@Dsnuts
have you tried the CKM50 tips

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,349 of 2,761
I Tried the CKM50 tips. They sound just like the UE tips I am using now.. The bass on these are top notch.. I have been going through my Hip hop collection and these pass the test. They sound like subs for me and I just bumped up the bass end about 4 Dbs. Subs man just subs! 

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,350 of 2,761
Has anyone noticed a reduction in bass impact after burn in? Either that is normal or something is wrong with my pair. It seems the sub bass impact is almost gone and the mid bass is reduced. I can still hear the sub bass, but it doesn't have the same impact as when I first got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back