Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Mar 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,561 of 2,761
I think I owed a couple of shots. Not great. Not the good camera nor someone around to them of me so they are mirror shots.

Stock, UE cable, and the AFU cable. Shows the slight bit of spring that is nowhere as bad as the UE and should be quite usable on the commute. Not very supple but not an adverse effect on usability.

Even with glasses on, a nice fit. Hopefully it works as well with others who want to try it out.

Not too bad for one try shots using mirrors. As for this cable, I am starting to tip roll and see if I come up with good matches.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,563 of 2,761

Quote:
From those that ordered from Springtree what was the average wait time on these?  I order over 2 weeks ago and still have yet to even hear anything back like no updates, shipping notification, nada.

Curious to hear from those that ordered around the end of last month.

I ordered on the 26th of feb- and got shipping confirmation on the 12th of March (after emailing them)
I suggest u email Matt and ask him.
He said there was s delay in the emails

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,564 of 2,761

Quote:
I'm not a big believer in burn in like some people around here. I believe there may be some slight mechanical changes happening, but much/most of that will be inaudible. But I know for sure that we underestimate the complexity of the human brain and auditory system. We treat our ears like they were microphones - calibrated tools with the ability to immediately and consistently record what they hear. And that is technically true on some level. But in reality, the bigger picture is that a huge amount of signal processing is done by the brain once the ears have received the sound. As such, there is a very real process involved with "figuring out" the sound produced by any given headphone. This may be a controversial view in some ways, but I do feel like it accounts for the experiences many of us have, in relation to the measurements which don't really support drastic changes due to burn in. 

Having said that, I certainly experienced my own little "burn in moment" with the AS-1b. I had been using it merely with a Sansa Clip+ for simplicity. I thought the bass had good extension but was surprisingly light in impact. So I used the Rockbox EQ to bump it up by 4dB, just to get a feel for how it would take an EQ (turns out it does very well). I was pleased with the resulting kick in the bass.

Later I tried the AS-1b in my big system with the bass and ambient ports at various levels of adjustment. Those allow for some pretty wild bass if you are interested. 

Eventually I moved back to the Clip+ and was shocked at the bass extension, volume, impact, etc. It was much improved from my first impressions. I figured I had simply left the bass ports open a tad, but double checked and discovered that was not the case. Then a lightbulb went off in my head - I had left the bass boost active in Rockbox, hadn't I? So I go in and check..... nope, it is not enabled. I had already reset the settings after using the AS-1b the first time around. To my ears/brain, this was a completely different sound. And remember, we are talking about the custom version rather than the ASG-1, so it wouldn't be caused by fit issues either.

This is the type of story that almost has to be experienced to be believed. The only way to experience it (and there is certainly no guarantee) is to put in the hours with that particular headphone or IEM. I never dismiss anything quickly but after this experience I'm going to be extra careful to spend more time and be cautious about my impressions. 

Interesting and insightful post as ever, Project86.

Soon, my replacement pair will be shipped (current pair have excessive driver flex in 1 ear), so I will get a rare opportunity to A / B a brand new ASG-1 with 400+ burned -in ASG-1. I'm very intrigued, and will post impressions.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,565 of 2,761
Looks kinda big for my ears
blink.gif

Quote:
Stock, UE cable, and the AFU cable. Shows the slight bit of spring that is nowhere as bad as the UE and should be quite usable on the commute. Not very supple but not an adverse effect on usability.

Even with glasses on, a nice fit. Hopefully it works as well with others who want to try it out.

Not too bad for one try shots using mirrors. As for this cable, I am starting to tip roll and see if I come up with good matches.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,566 of 2,761
Having received the ASGs today I can say that they are MUCH smaller than what i expected. Barely over 2cm from top screw to bottom screw. Around 2.5cm from lowest point to highest when measuring over the faceplate. Figuring out what tip works for me now.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,567 of 2,761
can anyone explain why the pins section (where the cable goes in) one is white and one is black? I think someone had a pair like that too.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,568 of 2,761

Quote:
can anyone explain why the pins section (where the cable goes in) one is white and one is black? I think someone had a pair like that too.

Wait, do you mean one pin is black, and one pin is white (which would be extremely odd)?  Or do you mean the actual plug for the pins (the plastic part) is black and white?  If the latter, the reason is that they are left right markers.  I have no clue what to say if it's the former.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,569 of 2,761

Day one report:

After 24h of burn in, these babies are starting to sing! When I first listened to them right out of the box, they sounded nasal and seemed to have a roll of on the highs. Now I'm totally loving the incredible soundstage and separation that I'm getting, and the clarity and depth of field/feel is incredible.  It feels like sitting in the middle of a room while the band plays around me!  I play the bass in a band and can totally understand why these are marketed for on-stage monitoring.  Never gonna look back again!  

That being said, the sound sig on these probably isn't for everyone.  There's a slight mid-hump which makes instruments sound sweeter and totally brings vocals up front in the mix.  That also results in the highs sounding a little less sizzly than what I'm accustomed to hearing.  But that also separates the bass from the muddle in the bottom/middle and really works for me on stage.  

One thing which I'm experiencing different from others here is that the bass right out of the box is pretty incredible.  Anymore and it'd border on overwhelming... or perhaps I'm not that much of a basshead that I thought I was :p

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,570 of 2,761

They probably just ran out of white/clear ones; might have been the part that caused the delay. Who knows...
Quote:

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,573 of 2,761
Been listening to the ASGs for a few hours now and comparing to my TF10s for one song about every hour. Amusingly at the start I found the ASGs mid hump/shoutyness to be unbearable, but now my brain is slowly considering it the norm and my TF10s mid range is sounding more recessed than ever...

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,574 of 2,761

Quote:
Been listening to the ASGs for a few hours now and comparing to my TF10s for one song about every hour. Amusingly at the start I found the ASGs mid hump/shoutyness to be unbearable, but now my brain is slowly considering it the norm and my TF10s mid range is sounding more recessed than ever...

This leads me to think, how many of you who see the ASGs as shouty are coming from an IEM that is V-shaped in nature?  How many are coming from an analytical IEM?  I'm just curious as that could be a cause of someone hearing it like it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back