Audirvana Studio
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #31 of 128
I've turned my trial into a paid version. Very happy at the moment with WASAPI in my setup, but I will give ASIO a try too.

I'm using local FLAC files only.

I will do the same at the end of my trial period and I'm looking forward to your review of WASAPI vs ASIO, if you even hear a difference.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #32 of 128
Having been banging around the world for over 50 years one thing I've experienced is that there are financial good times and there are financial bad times - I think most people have these.

Now the thing about subscriptions is that when you have the bad times they are the first things to be culled. Now I truly hope that it never happens to you, but could you imagine falling into one of these bad times, cancelling the subscriptions, and then finding that you have all of this wonderful equipment, but you can't even play your own music because the software player (yeah just the player - no content) you subscribe to will no longer work because you can't afford the payments

And having been through that is the reason why I absolutely reject the subscription model for such things. In the example I put forward I'd have still been able to enjoy my original CD player in the event I couldn't afford to upgrade.
Another possibilitye --- what happens if that subscription model is not enough income for the company to keep the doors open and they close up shop. Same outcome wrt bad financial times and why there should always be a backup plan when using subscription services. This is why i have jriver and roon. In financial good times I can afford both, in financial bad times (or belly up company) i can still use my wonderful equipment

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #33 of 128
Another possibilitye --- what happens if that subscription model is not enough income for the company to keep the doors open and they close up shop. Same outcome wrt bad financial times and why there should always be a backup plan when using subscription services. This is why i have jriver and roon. In financial good times I can afford both, in financial bad times (or belly up company) i can still use my wonderful equipment
The somebody else will come along with an advanced player and fill the space. Subscriptions are for content, not for the ongoing ability to use a piece of software.

Honestly this is such an consumer hostile move by Audivana that I honestly hope they go broke. Meanwhile I'll stick with version 3.2 which gives me everything I want in a player, and I can carry on and use it if the internet goes down, unlike the subscription version.

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 128
I am 3.5 Audirvana user, have tried studio trial version few days, I like the sound quality of studio version, it has better separation, wider soundstage, better timing, more background details that I did not notice before, all based on Tidal streaming. But I don't think I will subscribe it, I still can live with 3.5 version.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #36 of 128
I've started a trial period for Roon so I can compare it with the features and sound quality of Audirvana. I don't have any requirements for a multi-zone / multi-node streaming setup, so the Roon setup is the "all in one" install on a very capable Win10 PC, that also handles some light workload while listening on occasion. After the trial period, I'll decide which gets my business for the next year, after which I'll probably re-evaluate the value of whichever one I choose.

In the first few days so far, I can say that even with my (not high-end) gear, I can hear a difference between the two with the sound quality / perceived clarity going to Audirvana. However, the UI design elements and some of the features of Roon (like Roon radio) absolutely make it stand out as a mature software / service. I still have about 10 days left, but I think it will come down to SQ vs. features at the end for me.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #37 of 128
Quick update for those subscribed to Audirvana Studio: Hold off on updating the software to the latest version (1.7) if you haven't already done so. There appears to be issues with the installer which could lead to failed upgrades. If you're in this camp, check the Audirvana forum for updates to find out when the upgrade fix is available.

https://community.audirvana.com/

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #39 of 128
On today's article on Headfonia, we're looking at Audirvana Studio. Article by @nanotechnos

https://www.headfonia.com/audirvana-studio-review/
What rubbish! It's as though the reviewer has not used AS & definitely not seen the Audivarna forum. SQ is good, bit not as good as HQPlayer. OGG is not supported. Library is unstable, for instance a correctly tagged file can lose tags in the playlist view. I'm not sure any AS user would allow the player to auto tag their library. I am a subscriber, but the software (an app on Windows 10) is still beta in stability. The remote app is unstable & regularly fails.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #40 of 128
On today's article on Headfonia, we're looking at Audirvana Studio. Article by @nanotechnos

https://www.headfonia.com/audirvana-studio-review/

I agree with the sound quality comparison to Roon (at least to my ears), and I assume the Roon setup tested was not using a dedicated core server. I compared the two, both during a trial subscription with both installed only on my main Win10 Pro PC, and Audirvana was the way to go for me, based on sound quality alone. If I had need of multi-node / multi-room support, I would have easily picked Roon as the UI and certain other features are outstanding, but I don't really "need" those things.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #44 of 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back