AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #121 of 10,196
So do most stores on your web site that sell these headphones have a demo unit? Would love to try them and then justify putting aside money in my headphone funds to buy them
atsmile.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #122 of 10,196
  So do most stores on your web site that sell these headphones have a demo unit? Would love to try them and then justify putting aside money in my headphone funds to buy them
atsmile.gif

You could buy them from Amazon and if they don't meet your needs return them.  That's what I did. 

*I don't think using Amazon (or any vendor) as a 'headphone testing site' is appropriate but sometimes if you can't demo a headphone it's hard to support buying something that costs $600 without an opportunity to return them if you don't like them. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #123 of 10,196
atsmile.gif

You could buy them from Amazon and if they don't meet your needs return them.  That's what I did. 

*I don't think using Amazon (or any vendor) as a 'headphone testing site' is appropriate but sometimes if you can't demo a headphone it's hard to support buying something that costs $600 without an opportunity to return them if you don't like them. 

Sometimes, unfortunately there isn't another option. You could try the Cable Company's lending program, but that adds up FAST. They have a 5% non-refundable deposit per headphone loaned.

I tried the M100 and HD650 from Amazon first. Then I got smart and started ordering the Amazon Warehouse pairs of the next 3 I tried. I figured returning previously used headphones wouldn't be as bad as returning brand new ones. Anyway, the Nighthawk is seriously the most comfortable pair I've ever put on my head. And for what it's worth, even my wife loved them, and she typically hates headphones due to comfort issues.

Anyway, Solduios be careful with ordering from Amazon for headphones, unless you are 100% sure you want them. Last I looked Amazon does not directly sell the Nighthawks, but rather 3rd party sellers do and they are fulfilled by Amazon. A bunch of them, if you go to their direct site, do not offer returns on headphones unless they are unopened because of health and sanitation purposes. In other words, make sure Amazon is the seller, as Amazon will take headphones back.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #124 of 10,196

Anyway, Solduios be careful with ordering from Amazon for headphones, unless you are 100% sure you want them. Last I looked Amazon does not directly sell the Nighthawks, but rather 3rd party sellers do and they are fulfilled by Amazon. A bunch of them, if you go to their direct site, do not offer returns on headphones unless they are unopened because of health and sanitation purposes. In other words, make sure Amazon is the seller, as Amazon will take headphones back.

Items sold on Amazon fulfilled are covered by Amazon's own return policy. It doesn't have to be Amazon themselves as the seller, just Amazon fulfilled to be covered by Amazon's return policy. 

In other words, any of the listings that say "Fulfillment by Amazon" in the below link are covered under Amazon's own return policy:

http://amzn.to/1H6nmWm

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #125 of 10,196

Items sold on Amazon fulfilled are covered by Amazon's own return policy. It doesn't have to be Amazon themselves as the seller, just Amazon fulfilled to be covered by Amazon's return policy. 

Ah, I stand corrected as that is definitely not the impression that I had. Thanks! Maybe now I can finally try those Fostex TH600 :p

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #126 of 10,196
  Is anyone making AQNK specific cables, or do you use the Oppo PM1/2 cable or HD700 cable???

Does the Oppo balanced cable fit the Nighthawk? Anyone know? 

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BHC2

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #127 of 10,196
I have a question as well, I'm deciding on trading in my b and o h6 for the nighthawk, but I have never used a DAC or an amp. Is the sound still very good with just a phone, and if not what is an affordable nice pairing with the nighthawk?
As you can probably tell I am new to this world of hifi haha

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #128 of 10,196
I have a question as well, I'm deciding on trading in my b and o h6 for the nighthawk, but I have never used a DAC or an amp. Is the sound still very good with just a phone, and if not what is an affordable nice pairing with the nighthawk?
As you can probably tell I am new to this world of hifi haha

I think the Nighthawk sounds quite good still out of my Galaxy S5. I spent much of my first week with them listening that way at night while the in-laws stayed in my office.

They sound pretty good from all sources I've tried so far, including: straight from my work machine's Realtek ALC1150, ODAC (revB) > Objective2, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 > Objective2, Galaxy S5, Sound Blaster ZxR, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Of all of those, the two that sound the best to me so far are the ODAC (revB) > Objective2 and either Sound Blaster. They help improve the clarity and detail more than the others. The Dragonfly I have isn't burnt in yet, and my Nighthawks are still only about 25% to 150 hours, if that.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #129 of 10,196
I think the Nighthawk sounds quite good still out of my Galaxy S5. I spent much of my first week with them listening that way at night while the in-laws stayed in my office.

They sound pretty good from all sources I've tried so far, including: straight from my work machine's Realtek ALC1150, ODAC (revB) > Objective2, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 > Objective2, Galaxy S5, Sound Blaster ZxR, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Of all of those, the two that sound the best to me so far are the ODAC (revB) > Objective2 and either Sound Blaster. They help improve the clarity and detail more than the others. The Dragonfly I have isn't burnt in yet, and my Nighthawks are still only about 25% to 150 hours, if that.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably be going to a hifi store soon to try them out! If I'd go running with the nighthawk, like sporty running Haha, would they be OK for that? Last question, have you maybe tried the b & p h6 and can you compare them?

Ruben

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #130 of 10,196
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably be going to a hifi store soon to try them out! If I'd go running with the nighthawk, like sporty running Haha, would they be OK for that? Last question, have you maybe tried the b & p h6 and can you compare them?

Ruben

I wouldn't ever try to run with a nice set of full-size headphones. Not only would it be really sad times if they fell off, you'd also sweat all over them and probably ruin them. I've only ever heard the BeoPlay H6 in a store, so I really can't compare them terribly accurately. From what I recall, those had less bass and more treble than the Nighthawk.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #131 of 10,196

Ruben

I wouldn't ever try to run with a nice set of full-size headphones. Not only would it be really sad times if they fell off, you'd also sweat all over them and probably ruin them. I've only ever heard the BeoPlay H6 in a store, so I really can't compare them terribly accurately. From what I recall, those had less bass and more treble than the Nighthawk.

Yea, these really aren't for running or working out in. I would suggest IEMs for that. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #132 of 10,196

Ah well then I'll be using a different pair for running then :wink:. Well it's the bass that I'm mostly missing in the H6 so I'm excited to try the nighthawk, atm thinking I'll love them Haha.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #133 of 10,196
In case anyone is interested, here is my video review of these headphones below. Long story short, after putting it through it’s paces all week, I think Audioquest has a winner on their hands. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #134 of 10,196

Does the Oppo balanced cable fit the Nighthawk? Anyone know? 

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BHC2

Answered my own question-I picked up the Oppo balanced cable today and it works with the Nighthawks just fine:

Seems like a pretty good cable too albeit a bit expensive. I probably wouldn't have bought it but I was at Oppo anyways for a warranty issue on my HA-1. 

The most immediate improvement I notice running these balanced so far is smoother more 'Audeze' like vocals and also opens up the soundstage a bit, a welcomed improvement for sure however note, the differences are subtle. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back