AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #138 of 10,196
Aug 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #139 of 10,196
So I took a trip to Gramophone in Columbia, MD yesterday to listen to some Headphones.  My intention was to (hopefully) listen to the new HIFIMAN HE-400 series (i and/or s).  Unfortunately, Gramophone did not have any HIFIMANs on display to listen to.  Of course I didn’t call prior to driving ~ 2 Hours.  Double Dumb Ass on me.

They did have the Grado SR225e, SR225i, PSB M4U 1, Sennheiser HD650 and an Audeze (not sure which one on display).  They also had a new Headphone for demo.

Before I go any further, I am an AudioQuest Fan.  I first encountered AudioQuest back in 1993 when I purchased 12’ of F14 Speaker Cable (Sky Blue for those that remember their 64 Crayola Colors).  I had just purchased a pair of Paradigm Titans to mate with my NAD Receiver and Sony ES 5 Disc Changer.  I currently have ~ 36’ of Slate Bi-Wired to my Paradigm Studios and another 100’ of F18 to my rears.  I also use their CleanScreen product if that matters.  Regardless, I have carried an affinity for the Brand since 1993.  I guess we should put that out in the open.  I also love my Grados and have been a fan since I bought my first SR125s back in the early 90’s.

Continuing in the spirit of full disclosure, I am an Enthusiast.  I do not have an Engineering Degree and I did not attend Julliard.  That being said, I have always been very passionate about Music.  Specifically, in hearing my favorite Artists and Recordings in the best possible light.  I tend to repurchase “Remastered” Favorites as much as I seek out new Artists.  I also have spent the majority of my professional life in a Sales capacity within the industry.  Now that I have been kicked out of the Living Room by my teenage Son, I have turned to Headphones.

One last thing, I am not Michael Fremer.  Please keep your expectations in check.  I have my Glossary of Audiophile Terms up and will try to articulate what I am hearing as best I can.

Moving along, I walked into Gramophone and was immediately greeted by John who I dismissed.  In the age of Amazon, it’s easy to get distracted walking into a real Hi-Fi Dealer for the first time in a few years.  I wanted to let my Geek wash over me for a moment.

The primary Headphone “section” consisted of the aforementioned Headphones hooked up to an iPad playing Pandora hooked up to a Meridian Dock and a Meridian (I think?) DAC/Headphone Amp.  I neglected to bring my FiiO X3/E11K and only had my iPhone 5s and Spotify.

Long Story short I walked out with the AudioQuest NightHawk.  Why?
1.      - Pride of Ownership.  From Packaging to Product these are absolutely exquisite.  I have tracked this Headphone on Head-Fi since they were initially announced (including all of the subsequent conjecture).  AudioQuest had me at hello from jump based on aesthetics alone.  There are more than enough “unboxing” Photos and Videos on the net so have at it.  See Tyll’s Interview with Skylar for any Techno Mumbo Jumbo.
2.       - Comfort.  I love my Grados.  One BIG problem.  I cannot listen to them for any extended period of time.  I have HD414 Pads on my SR80es and that helps, but they are simply uncomfortable.  I have sold or returned Headphones so many times based on the fact I could not stand the comfort regardless of the way they performed.  These were (and are) simply the most comfortable Headphones I have every worn.
3.       - Sound.  Why 3rd?  I was able to listen to some Playlists on Spotify but the Pandora tracks were less than helpful.  I was pleased with what I was hearing through Spotify.  It obviously crushed the SR225es with respect to Bass.  I was also intrigued by the Mids.  Highs?  Not a Grado.  When I left the jury was still very much out.  There was “something” that intrigued me however.  I couldn’t put my finger on it.
4.       - John.  He’s been working at Gramophone for 20 odd years and was very helpful.  I’m not a charity and would not simply purchase something so a Sales Associate could earn a Commission.  I truly appreciated his product knowledge and expertise.  It was refreshing to have a dialogue with someone as opposed to relying on Google for information for a change.  He echoed all of the Craftsmanship and Engineering that differentiates the NightHawk from similar offerings and placed it in perspective for me (as I am not the smartest guy in the room).

So I bought the Nighthawks despite the fact that…
·        - I was originally looking for Planar Magnetics based on my research and known preferences (honestly, I thought the NightHawks were Planars initially).
·        - The poor initial impressions by some folks on Head-Fi and elsewhere. 
·        - Price.  I have never purchased a Headphone for > $300.   This was a Fidelio X2 and a HE-400s relatively speaking.
·        - Buyer’s Remorse.  I’m sure if I was dissatisfied John and Gramophone would take care of me.  At the same time, a ~ 2 Hour drive to Columbia, MD to return the Headphone was not in either of our best interests.

So back home I went with my Prize.  When I arrived home…(Insert YouTube Un-Boxing Video here). 

I first started with my FiiO X3 in DAC mode feeding my Schiit Vali.  I have an ASUS Laptop (i7 and Windows 8.1) and rip/download primarily in MP3 and FLAC.  My older recordings were ripped in iTunes (320 AAC @ 16 bit/48 kHz).  My initial impressions were under whelming to say the least (insert Burn-In/Brain Burn-In conversation here).  I actually used the JRiver EQ to jump the 1 kHz – 7 kHz Band by 2db as they initially sounded extremely anemic.  I let them play overnight with my XLO Burn-In track set on repeat at moderate Volume.

Woke up this morning and…umm…WOW!  First things first.  My Top 10 Demo Tracks in Top of Mind order…
         1.  Dave Matthews Band – “Say Goodbye” – Crash – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
2.      2.  Bonnie Raitt – “Dimming of the Day” – The Best Of – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  320 MP3.
3.      3.  Sonia Dada – “Planes & Satellites” – A Day At The Beach – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
4.      4.  Jack Johnson – “Constellations” – In Between Dreams – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
5.      5.  Mumford & Sons – “Where Are You Now” – Babel Deluxe Edition – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  FLAC.
6.      6.  Vampire Weekend – “White Sky” – Contra – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  MP3.
7.      7.  Sonny Rollins – “St. Thomas” – HD Tracks 2014 Sampler – 24 bit/96 kHz.  FLAC.
8.      8.  Norah Jones – “Be Here To Love Me” – Feels Like Home – 24 bit/192 kHz.  FLAC.
9.      9.  Van Halen – “Drop Dead Legs” – 1984 – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  FLAC.
        10. Natalie Merchant – “San Andreas Fault” – Tigerlilly – 16 bit/44.1 kHz – FLAC.

…as I continue the evaluation process of these beautiful Headphones I am finding a few things…
·       
         - At first blush they sound “Dark” and “Recessed”.  As I spend more time with them, I am finding that they open up (for whatever reason) and the “Dark” and “Recessed” turn to “Detail” and “Balanced”.  I am now listening to them Flat via JRiver.
·        - Very “Analytical” and “Accurate”.  I am hearing nuances within these Tracks for the first time that I did not notice before.  Reverberations and Plucks on Strings, Pedal Notes on a Piano, Kick of a Bass Drum, etc.  I am a cynic at heart so I will spare you the Marketing Hyperbole.  I will say that I have been using some of these Tracks for > 20 years to evaluate Hi-Fi equipment.  Tones and Harmonies seem to be ultimately balanced with a “slight” Bass tilt.  Ever so slight.  The highs are still there.  Everything else was missing.
·        - “Musical”.  “Non-Fatiguing”.  Yup.  More importantly, I am listening more and evaluating less.

…for you Home Theater Enthusiasts, the best analogy I can provide is what it felt like the first time I calibrated a TV.  At first it seemed unnatural, like writing using your opposite hand or wearing new prescription Glasses.  As time moved on, you began to notice any time you were watching a TV where the Contrast or Sharpness was turned way up and the Color or Brightness was off.  These Headphones just feel “Right”.  I know they’re special.  My apologies for not being able to articulate it better.

Buyer’s Remorse?  Nope.  Highly recommended.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #140 of 10,196
Nice review mate.

Am I alone in thinking that the more I read about these headphones the more I think I'm reading about the HD 650's? Has anyone heard both over an extended period and is able to compare them?

I like dark myself as opposed to the modern trend for over-hyped treble in an effort to portray a false sense of detail. I can't tolerate this harshness.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #141 of 10,196
  Nice review mate.

Am I alone in thinking that the more I read about these headphones the more I think I'm reading about the HD 650's? Has anyone heard both over an extended period and is able to compare them?

I like dark myself as opposed to the modern trend for over-hyped treble in an effort to portray a false sense of detail. I can't tolerate this harshness.

I haven't heard the HD650's in a few years but I doubt they have as much bass impact. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #142 of 10,196
Shuffling back and forth between the Sennheiser HD650 and AudioQuest Nighthawk right now for you. They could pass for a semi-closed cousin of the HD650. My Sennheisers have hundreds--if not thousands--of hours on them. The Nighthawks still have under 100, so additional burn-in could change them a little. 

The Nighthawk is more comfortable (especially if you don't reduce the Sennheiser's clamp) and has more bottom end starting somewhere around 500Hz on down, which does give them a bit darker of a signature compared to the HD650. That said, they are overall a bit smoother sounding. A little more fullness to the sound throughout the spectrum.

I find that the Sennheiser HD650 does well with a little bit of a warm amp despite already being a warm headphone, while the AudioQuest Nighthawk does best with a really clean amp (e.g. Objective2).

If you were to tell two completely different companies to make a headphone a particular tonal characteristic and one had to make an open headphone while the other made a semi-open, you could end up with these two cans. They're different and you would prefer one or the other for particular genres of music, but they can certainly be described similarly.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #143 of 10,196

I haven't heard the HD650's in a few years but I doubt they have as much bass impact. 

Yeah, that's the impression I've been getting. Thanks.

Shuffling back and forth between the Sennheiser HD650 and AudioQuest Nighthawk right now for you. They could pass for a semi-closed cousin of the HD650. My Sennheisers have hundreds--if not thousands--of hours on them. The Nighthawks still have under 100, so additional burn-in could change them a little. 

The Nighthawk is more comfortable (especially if you don't reduce the Sennheiser's clamp) and has more bottom end starting somewhere around 500Hz on down, which does give them a bit darker of a signature compared to the HD650. That said, they are overall a bit smoother sounding. A little more fullness to the sound throughout the spectrum.

I find that the Sennheiser HD650 does well with a little bit of a warm amp despite already being a warm headphone, while the AudioQuest Nighthawk does best with a really clean amp (e.g. Objective2).

If you were to tell two completely different companies to make a headphone a particular tonal characteristic and one had to make an open headphone while the other made a semi-open, you could end up with these two cans. They're different and you would prefer one or the other for particular genres of music, but they can certainly be described similarly.

Thanks for doing that for me. That's kinda what I was expecting to hear. The 650's could certainly do with a bit more oomph down low but I really like the overall character and wouldn't want to deviate too much. I really can't tolerate too much treble. I've no idea why that is since I'm 50 and I know my hearing is slightly deficient towards the top end. I had a pair of Q701's but the spike at 2k was just intolerable after a bit.

I agree about the 650's really nenefitting from a warmish amp too, my pair sound excellent with my Project Ember & a good tube.

These Nighthawk's are interesting me more than any headphone has done lately. They're still a bit pricey for me though.

Once again mate, thanks very much for comparing them for me.
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #144 of 10,196
  So I took a trip to Gramophone in Columbia, MD yesterday to listen to some Headphones.  My intention was to (hopefully) listen to the new HIFIMAN HE-400 series (i and/or s).  Unfortunately, Gramophone did not have any HIFIMANs on display to listen to.  Of course I didn’t call prior to driving ~ 2 Hours.  Double Dumb Ass on me.

They did have the Grado SR225e, SR225i, PSB M4U 1, Sennheiser HD650 and an Audeze (not sure which one on display).  They also had a new Headphone for demo.

Before I go any further, I am an AudioQuest Fan.  I first encountered AudioQuest back in 1993 when I purchased 12’ of F14 Speaker Cable (Sky Blue for those that remember their 64 Crayola Colors).  I had just purchased a pair of Paradigm Titans to mate with my NAD Receiver and Sony ES 5 Disc Changer.  I currently have ~ 36’ of Slate Bi-Wired to my Paradigm Studios and another 100’ of F18 to my rears.  I also use their CleanScreen product if that matters.  Regardless, I have carried an affinity for the Brand since 1993.  I guess we should put that out in the open.  I also love my Grados and have been a fan since I bought my first SR125s back in the early 90’s.

Continuing in the spirit of full disclosure, I am an Enthusiast.  I do not have an Engineering Degree and I did not attend Julliard.  That being said, I have always been very passionate about Music.  Specifically, in hearing my favorite Artists and Recordings in the best possible light.  I tend to repurchase “Remastered” Favorites as much as I seek out new Artists.  I also have spent the majority of my professional life in a Sales capacity within the industry.  Now that I have been kicked out of the Living Room by my teenage Son, I have turned to Headphones.

One last thing, I am not Michael Fremer.  Please keep your expectations in check.  I have my Glossary of Audiophile Terms up and will try to articulate what I am hearing as best I can.

Moving along, I walked into Gramophone and was immediately greeted by John who I dismissed.  In the age of Amazon, it’s easy to get distracted walking into a real Hi-Fi Dealer for the first time in a few years.  I wanted to let my Geek wash over me for a moment.

The primary Headphone “section” consisted of the aforementioned Headphones hooked up to an iPad playing Pandora hooked up to a Meridian Dock and a Meridian (I think?) DAC/Headphone Amp.  I neglected to bring my FiiO X3/E11K and only had my iPhone 5s and Spotify.

Long Story short I walked out with the AudioQuest NightHawk.  Why?
1.      - Pride of Ownership.  From Packaging to Product these are absolutely exquisite.  I have tracked this Headphone on Head-Fi since they were initially announced (including all of the subsequent conjecture).  AudioQuest had me at hello from jump based on aesthetics alone.  There are more than enough “unboxing” Photos and Videos on the net so have at it.  See Tyll’s Interview with Skylar for any Techno Mumbo Jumbo.
2.       - Comfort.  I love my Grados.  One BIG problem.  I cannot listen to them for any extended period of time.  I have HD414 Pads on my SR80es and that helps, but they are simply uncomfortable.  I have sold or returned Headphones so many times based on the fact I could not stand the comfort regardless of the way they performed.  These were (and are) simply the most comfortable Headphones I have every worn.
3.       - Sound.  Why 3rd?  I was able to listen to some Playlists on Spotify but the Pandora tracks were less than helpful.  I was pleased with what I was hearing through Spotify.  It obviously crushed the SR225es with respect to Bass.  I was also intrigued by the Mids.  Highs?  Not a Grado.  When I left the jury was still very much out.  There was “something” that intrigued me however.  I couldn’t put my finger on it.
4.       - John.  He’s been working at Gramophone for 20 odd years and was very helpful.  I’m not a charity and would not simply purchase something so a Sales Associate could earn a Commission.  I truly appreciated his product knowledge and expertise.  It was refreshing to have a dialogue with someone as opposed to relying on Google for information for a change.  He echoed all of the Craftsmanship and Engineering that differentiates the NightHawk from similar offerings and placed it in perspective for me (as I am not the smartest guy in the room).

So I bought the Nighthawks despite the fact that…
·        - I was originally looking for Planar Magnetics based on my research and known preferences (honestly, I thought the NightHawks were Planars initially).
·        - The poor initial impressions by some folks on Head-Fi and elsewhere. 
·        - Price.  I have never purchased a Headphone for > $300.   This was a Fidelio X2 and a HE-400s relatively speaking.
·        - Buyer’s Remorse.  I’m sure if I was dissatisfied John and Gramophone would take care of me.  At the same time, a ~ 2 Hour drive to Columbia, MD to return the Headphone was not in either of our best interests.

So back home I went with my Prize.  When I arrived home…(Insert YouTube Un-Boxing Video here). 

I first started with my FiiO X3 in DAC mode feeding my Schiit Vali.  I have an ASUS Laptop (i7 and Windows 8.1) and rip/download primarily in MP3 and FLAC.  My older recordings were ripped in iTunes (320 AAC @ 16 bit/48 kHz).  My initial impressions were under whelming to say the least (insert Burn-In/Brain Burn-In conversation here).  I actually used the JRiver EQ to jump the 1 kHz – 7 kHz Band by 2db as they initially sounded extremely anemic.  I let them play overnight with my XLO Burn-In track set on repeat at moderate Volume.

Woke up this morning and…umm…WOW!  First things first.  My Top 10 Demo Tracks in Top of Mind order…
         1.  Dave Matthews Band – “Say Goodbye” – Crash – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
2.      2.  Bonnie Raitt – “Dimming of the Day” – The Best Of – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  320 MP3.
3.      3.  Sonia Dada – “Planes & Satellites” – A Day At The Beach – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
4.      4.  Jack Johnson – “Constellations” – In Between Dreams – 16 bit/48 kHz.  320 AAC.
5.      5.  Mumford & Sons – “Where Are You Now” – Babel Deluxe Edition – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  FLAC.
6.      6.  Vampire Weekend – “White Sky” – Contra – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  MP3.
7.      7.  Sonny Rollins – “St. Thomas” – HD Tracks 2014 Sampler – 24 bit/96 kHz.  FLAC.
8.      8.  Norah Jones – “Be Here To Love Me” – Feels Like Home – 24 bit/192 kHz.  FLAC.
9.      9.  Van Halen – “Drop Dead Legs” – 1984 – 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  FLAC.
        10. Natalie Merchant – “San Andreas Fault” – Tigerlilly – 16 bit/44.1 kHz – FLAC.

…as I continue the evaluation process of these beautiful Headphones I am finding a few things…
·       
         - At first blush they sound “Dark” and “Recessed”.  As I spend more time with them, I am finding that they open up (for whatever reason) and the “Dark” and “Recessed” turn to “Detail” and “Balanced”.  I am now listening to them Flat via JRiver.
·        - Very “Analytical” and “Accurate”.  I am hearing nuances within these Tracks for the first time that I did not notice before.  Reverberations and Plucks on Strings, Pedal Notes on a Piano, Kick of a Bass Drum, etc.  I am a cynic at heart so I will spare you the Marketing Hyperbole.  I will say that I have been using some of these Tracks for > 20 years to evaluate Hi-Fi equipment.  Tones and Harmonies seem to be ultimately balanced with a “slight” Bass tilt.  Ever so slight.  The highs are still there.  Everything else was missing.
·        - “Musical”.  “Non-Fatiguing”.  Yup.  More importantly, I am listening more and evaluating less.

…for you Home Theater Enthusiasts, the best analogy I can provide is what it felt like the first time I calibrated a TV.  At first it seemed unnatural, like writing using your opposite hand or wearing new prescription Glasses.  As time moved on, you began to notice any time you were watching a TV where the Contrast or Sharpness was turned way up and the Color or Brightness was off.  These Headphones just feel “Right”.  I know they’re special.  My apologies for not being able to articulate it better.

Buyer’s Remorse?  Nope.  Highly recommended.

I just got back from Gramophone in Columbia (only a 15 minute trip though for me).  I had walked in thinking I was still within 14 days of my return time to Apple store with my B and O H6's and I just thought I would take a stroll in to see what they had to listen to - Michael said to check out the NightHawks I said sure and thought wow these sound very different than any of my headphones at home but not in a bad way, I was thinking they would be a nice compliment to my "more forward" sounding Audeze LCD-XC, Phillips Fidelio X2 or my 2 week old B and O's and when he said they were 600 I thought wow even better, I was thinking:

Sound great and different than what I have
The semi open design does not transmit as much sound through either direction as other open designs I have used in the past
they are the most comfortable things I have ever had on my head (for the sort term at least but they actually felt good so that was a good sign
and at 600 not that much of a risk - especially considering how valuable all this tech stuff is on eBay if you need to sell

So I went out to my car, read some mixed reviews, then realized I cannot return my B and O H6's as it is over 2 weeks but you know what - I ended up going back and getting them anyhow and they still sound fantastic I really like them, and will mix them in with my other headphones with great enjoyment 

-One thing - the 2 included cables sound VERY different to my ears - the smaller thiner one cuts down on the low end to some extent kind of "equalizing" them a bit towards the sound I am more used to so I am using the other deeper louder sounding (I swear I had to turn things down a bit when I switched to the larger cable) cable as I continue embracing the deeper sound of these amazing headphones :)

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #145 of 10,196
I'm around 100 hours of burn-in on these right now. I use a variety of flac music from Chesky as well as classical, jazz, and electronic music to do it. I also listen to them while at home and don't limit my genres on them at all.

I've been surprised at the differences in enjoyment over the period of time. Some of it is acclimating to the sound, but I also hear more highs than I used to and the bass feels tighter (less mid-intrusive). They're really starting to come to life.

I still use my Fostex TH600 at work, so it isn't just my ears adjusting (as those still have more treble for sure). Really happy with the Nighthawk so far.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #146 of 10,196
My first post in this thread. 

I had some time with this and two other headphones (X2 and NAD HP50) in a shop today. Nighthawk sounded very "closed" and had a very muddy character. It was almost too warm and the treble was cut-off. I was quite disappointed. When I first heard this headphone some time ago I thought it sounded good. But today, compared to X2 I thougt Nighthawk was very dark and kind of unresolving. And X2 is already a warm and dark headphone. Maybe something was wrong with the demo pair. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #149 of 10,196
  Thanks! Maybe the amp (NAD integrated) wasn't a good match for this hp. Is Nighthawk a hard to drive headphone? Judging by the very flat impedance curve I wouldn't say so. 

It is very easy to drive on both my DAC's: Benchmark 1 USB and the Light Harmonic Lab Pulse X Infinity. I can only speak for these two.

Cheers mate
Leo

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #150 of 10,196

It is very easy to drive on both my DAC's: Benchmark 1 USB and the Light Harmonic Lab Pulse X Infinity. I can only speak for these two.

Cheers mate
Leo

DAC's don't 'drive' amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back