Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
May 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,171 of 2,205
Quote:
I have been looking through a couple pages of this thread and have been very tempted by the AD900x, which I can get for ~$155 shipped. Would anyone be able to make a sound signature comparison to the ck10?

Are you saying $155
L3000.gif
 for the open-air AD900X? Perhaps you mean the closed A900X?

May 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,172 of 2,205
Lachlan, I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "We will all murder you if you don't get a video review of the AD2000X up soon." Obviously, in the sweetest sense of the saying. 
wink.gif

May 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,174 of 2,205
Quote:
Lachlan, I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "We will all murder you if you don't get a video review of the AD2000X up soon." Obviously, in the sweetest sense of the saying. 
wink.gif

Instead of chipping in for a hitman you could always all pitch in and buy an AD2000X for me? Lol...

Or better yet someone buy all the gear classifieds I have!

May 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,176 of 2,205
Bah. Had a chance to listen to the AD-2000X briefly in the Taipei Audio-Technica store this afternoon, and came away mightily impressed. Soundstage seems more than adequate for chamber music, and there was a really quite excellent fullness to the mids that is somewhat difficult to describe. Thinking I really do need to get my hands on a pair of these somehow...

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,182 of 2,205
Okay, I now truly have the audiophile bug. The AD2000x pairs beautifully with my Leckerton 6 MK II portable headphone amp (run through my Cowon X7), but I am now craving a bit more power and headroom and I'm now looking at full size headphone amplifiers.

I have my eye on the Burson Soloist. A quick forum search shows many happy AD2000 owners happy with the pairing (am I right in assuming the 2000x pairing with it would be similar?) It has a handy pre-amp that I can use for my vintage receiver as well, power to spare and the price is just right at $1000 (The extra power and preamp is worth the extra $400 over the SL). Also, it pairs well supposedly with another headphone I may pick up (Q701) and the newer Planar Magnetic ones (down the line). My main CD player is a Marantz SACD8004.

Anything else I should be considering in that range? I am looking for general musicality on the neutral side and detail, not warmth or a laid back type of sound (in other words, how the AD2000x sounds now, but bigger and badder). I see the Mjolner, but no impressions of how it pairs with Audio Technica headphones.

Edit: Also, no DIY kits because I don't trust myself putting something like these together. Several recommended amps were DIY kits.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,183 of 2,205
Bought myself a pair of AD900X headphones. Coming from HD280 Pro that rarely use except on airplanes. I use speakers mainly at home.

AD900x is a very lovely headphone. More comfortable than HD280 Pro. I think my ears a still too big, they do get pressed and start to hurt a bit after some time.

I have them hooked up to my AV receiver, Onkyo tx-sr605. Audio is sent from my computer to the receiver using HDMI. Sound is much better hooked up to my receiver, so much deeper and fuller bass.

Overall I am pretty pleased with these headphones and would totally recommend a pair.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,184 of 2,205
Bought myself a pair of AD900X headphones. Coming from HD280 Pro that rarely use except on airplanes. I use speakers mainly at home.

AD900x is a very lovely headphone. More comfortable than HD280 Pro. I think my ears a still too big, they do get pressed and start to hurt a bit after some time.

I have them hooked up to my AV receiver, Onkyo tx-sr605. Audio is sent from my computer to the receiver using HDMI. Sound is much better hooked up to my receiver, so much deeper and fuller bass.

Overall I am pretty pleased with these headphones and would totally recommend a pair.

Ahh, another person coming from the HD 280 with its dreaded clamp of death that squeezes your brains out of your anus. The good news is you've been using the absolute worst headphones in the world (both sonically and comfort), so anything else is going to feel like paradise. :wink:

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,185 of 2,205
Quote:
Ahh, another person coming from the HD 280 with its dreaded clamp of death that squeezes your brains out of your anus. The good news is you've been using the absolute worst headphones in the world (both sonically and comfort), so anything else is going to feel like paradise.
wink.gif

Ouch with extreme prejudice! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back