Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jun 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,186 of 2,205
Anybody here can tell me is it worth to buy the AD1000X from HE400?
I just auditioned 900x and 1000x last time. While I loved the 900x sound, it rather lack in bass. With AD1000X, although the bass is still not plenty, but its enough for me. I loved the super clean and fluid sound. Also, got no problem with the 3d wings and comfort.
Currently I owned HE400 for music and gaming. While I loved the sound, but the weight issue makes me can't use it for long period time.
Back to my questions? is it worth it? 480usd is a very expensive investment for me, and my HE400 is not even a year old.
Also, it it easy to drive? Can it be driven by Fiio E17?

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,187 of 2,205
Quote:
Okay, I now truly have the audiophile bug. The AD2000x pairs beautifully with my Leckerton 6 MK II portable headphone amp (run through my Cowon X7), but I am now craving a bit more power and headroom and I'm now looking at full size headphone amplifiers.

I have my eye on the Burson Soloist. A quick forum search shows many happy AD2000 owners happy with the pairing (am I right in assuming the 2000x pairing with it would be similar?) It has a handy pre-amp that I can use for my vintage receiver as well, power to spare and the price is just right at $1000 (The extra power and preamp is worth the extra $400 over the SL). Also, it pairs well supposedly with another headphone I may pick up (Q701) and the newer Planar Magnetic ones (down the line). My main CD player is a Marantz SACD8004.

Anything else I should be considering in that range? I am looking for general musicality on the neutral side and detail, not warmth or a laid back type of sound (in other words, how the AD2000x sounds now, but bigger and badder). I see the Mjolner, but no impressions of how it pairs with Audio Technica headphones.

Although it's not the AD2KX, I still have the original AD2K and haven't been happy with it powered by the Soloist. I'd be more inclined to suggest a Dynalo+ amp (i.e., an upgraded GS-1) if you want to use planar magnetic headphones in addition to the AD2K. Hopefully HeadAmp eventually builds an updated unbalanced amp featuring the Dynalo+ modules, but for now if you want them, you need to get either a GS-1 or a GS-X (MK1 or MK2, doesn't matter which one since you can upgrade the MK1).

The Soloist does seem to drive the HiFiMan HE-400 adequately, and the K702 65th AE. It's a decent enough amp but it just doesn't compare to my GS-X MK2 driving any of my current headphones (AD2K, HE-400, K702 65th AE, Mad Dog 3.2, TH900).

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,188 of 2,205
Quote:

Although it's not the AD2KX, I still have the original AD2K and haven't been happy with it powered by the Soloist. I'd be more inclined to suggest a Dynalo+ amp (i.e., an upgraded GS-1) if you want to use planar magnetic headphones in addition to the AD2K. Hopefully HeadAmp eventually builds an updated unbalanced amp featuring the Dynalo+ modules, but for now if you want them, you need to get either a GS-1 or a GS-X (MK1 or MK2, doesn't matter which one since you can upgrade the MK1).

The Soloist does seem to drive the HiFiMan HE-400 adequately, and the K702 65th AE. It's a decent enough amp but it just doesn't compare to my GS-X MK2 driving any of my current headphones (AD2K, HE-400, K702 65th AE, Mad Dog 3.2, TH900).

I appreciate the recommendation, but that thing is about a millenium and a half over my budget. With a price difference like that, I would hope it would be better. :frowning2:

Luckily, I was able to find a local place that sells the Soloist (among others) so I can give it a proper audition.

And yeah, the 2000x is so new, there's little info on it as far as synergy, so I'm inclined to believe what's good for the 2000 is good for the 2000x.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,189 of 2,205
Quote:
I appreciate the recommendation, but that thing is about a millenium and a half over my budget. With a price difference like that, I would hope it would be better. :frowning2:

And yeah, the 2000x is so new, there's little info on it as far as synergy, so I'm inclined to believe what's good for the 2000 is good for the 2000x.

Not that I've actually heard the combo, but the minimum amp I'd personally buy for the AD2K and planar magnetic headphones would probably be the HeadAmp Pico Power. In my own experience, HeadAmp amps pair very well with Audio-Technica headphones.
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,190 of 2,205
Quote:
Anybody here can tell me is it worth to buy the AD1000X from HE400?
I just auditioned 900x and 1000x last time. While I loved the 900x sound, it rather lack in bass. With AD1000X, although the bass is still not plenty, but its enough for me. I loved the super clean and fluid sound. Also, got no problem with the 3d wings and comfort.
Currently I owned HE400 for music and gaming. While I loved the sound, but the weight issue makes me can't use it for long period time.
Back to my questions? is it worth it? 480usd is a very expensive investment for me, and my HE400 is not even a year old.

Hey widdy.... first 480 is very expensive for the ad1000x considering you could get it much cheaper imported from Japan. I got my pair for $280 including shipping through Amazon JP and Tenso.com.

Secondly you have actually heard the AD1000X so you are probably in a better position to judge than anyone else what that money means to you! Trust your own ears :)

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,191 of 2,205
Quote:

Hey widdy.... first 480 is very expensive for the ad1000x considering you could get it much cheaper imported from Japan. I got my pair for $280 including shipping through Amazon JP and Tenso.com.

Secondly you have actually heard the AD1000X so you are probably in a better position to judge than anyone else what that money means to you! Trust your own ears :)

Thanks for the reply.
I also don't understand how can the pricing here in Hongkong is very expensive compared to USA or Japan. Import is very complicated for me, and the import tax will be very expensive here.
Its not like I got complain from the HE400 besides the weight issue. But the AD1000X Got this clean and fluid sound that I really love.
I don't know how to describe it since I'm not an audiophile, but the 1000x got the sound signature that can make me more relaxed compared to the Hifiman.
Is it easy to drive? currently I'm using Fiio E17 to drive my HE400, can it drive the AD1000x?

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,192 of 2,205
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I also don't understand how can the pricing here in Hongkong is very expensive compared to USA or Japan. Import is very complicated for me, and the import tax will be very expensive here.
Its not like I got complain from the HE400 besides the weight issue. But the AD1000X Got this clean and fluid sound that I really love.
I don't know how to describe it since I'm not an audiophile, but the 1000x got the sound signature that can make me more relaxed compared to the Hifiman.
Is it easy to drive? currently I'm using Fiio E17 to drive my HE400, can it drive the AD1000x?

The AD1000X is very easy to drive. 

If you like the AD1000X more than the HE400 keep in mind you could always sell the HE-400 on the forums here.

But honestly I do not think $480 USD is worth it at all for the AD1000X considering that the AD2000X costs that much in Japan. I also do not understand how there can be an import tax in Hong Kong?

http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/passenger_clearance/duty_free/
HKSAR is a free port and does not levy any Customs tariff on imports and exports

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #1,193 of 2,205
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

HK is the world's most free economy, if there is a large discrepency in pricing it's due to factors other than import duties (maybe charging more because they can, because of demand, many many other reasons)

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,194 of 2,205
Actually I live in China now, but I can go to HK anytime.
I will consider first for the AD1000X. My He400 is not even a year old and I don't want my gf to be mad at me. She thinks that spending more than 100bux on a headphone is insane... I have to bribed her with something to buy the Hifiman.
How is the sound compared to the AT M50? I used to have it before and didn't really like the congested sound and uncomfortable.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,196 of 2,205
Quote:
is it worth upgrading from the ad900x to the ad1000x?

depending on how much you can get the AD1000X, I would say unequivocally yes. If you can get them for under $300 that is worthwhile. I noticed the Audio Technica pricing is always 2X the price of the lower model.
The AD1000X will lose that grainy texture that the AD900X has, it will also bring in tighter bass

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,197 of 2,205
Quote:
Actually I live in China now, but I can go to HK anytime.
I will consider first for the AD1000X. My He400 is not even a year old and I don't want my gf to be mad at me. She thinks that spending more than 100bux on a headphone is insane... I have to bribed her with something to buy the Hifiman.
How is the sound compared to the AT M50? I used to have it before and didn't really like the congested sound and uncomfortable.

Living in China is actually better than in UK lol, the VAT in UK is insane. You can try taobao.com and the price is about 1800-2000 RMB.

And AD1000X is very easy to drive. It sounds amazingly good just out of my macbook.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #1,198 of 2,205
Quote:

Living in China is actually better than in UK lol, the VAT in UK is insane. You can try taobao.com and the price is about 1800-2000 RMB.

And AD1000X is very easy to drive. It sounds amazingly good just out of my macbook.

Nop, taobao also list as RMB 2980, its even more expensive than HK price. Funny things that most of cans pricing in Hongkong is actually similar or just a bit more expensive than US pricing, except for ciem. I bought my ie8 just for 270usd and M50 for 110usd in HK.
HIfiman got a strict price fixing everywhere, so the pricing supposed to be the same USD 400 for the HE400.
Strange that the AD1000x pricing is grossly overpriced compared to USA and Japan pricing.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,199 of 2,205
Quote:
depending on how much you can get the AD1000X, I would say unequivocally yes. If you can get them for under $300 that is worthwhile. I noticed the Audio Technica pricing is always 2X the price of the lower model.
The AD1000X will lose that grainy texture that the AD900X has, it will also bring in tighter bass

Is it worth upgrading after just recently purchasing the AD900X?  :D

Buy my AD900X and I promise I'll get the AD1000X lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back