Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
May 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,141 of 2,205
Quote:
I have both, the AD900X will leak considerably and the A900X does not create enough isolation for moderate listening levels in a noisy environment.

Honestly the A900X sounds great, I'd keep an eye on Buydig as they have had the A900X for $130 new / $99 manf refurbished.

Thanx to all of you who responded to my post.

The same over here, I am waiting to get the ATH-A900X (closed back) for under $150.

Let me stress that  I'll be listening  to music (no gaming at all) in very quiet environments:
1. in a  quiet room  at home
2. in a quiet library
3. in a quiet coffee shop

So, I am not interested  noise isolating (from the outside world) headphones.

Now, I've forgot to mention that I want circumaural (and not over-ear like Grados) headphones that would be in the same league - if possible -
with  my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm) or Sennheiser HD 595 (50 Ohm).
(I'm using the ODAC and the O2 as two separates.)

As I've read in this thread or on this site:
The Sony open air/back  M900 are leaking sound, the new open back ATH AD-900X are leaking sound as well.
So, I am left with the AKG K 550 (closed back) and A900X (closed back).
Now, the differnce in cost between the K 550 and A900X is about $100,
but I guess that the K 550 are perhaps in the same league with my DT 880 wheras the A900X are not.

Well,I think that I might go for the under $150
tongue_smile.gif
 A900X for listening in quiet indoors environments.

P.S.
Well, the ATH-WS99 are over-ear, so probably they do leak sound like Grados.
Plus I don't like the discomfort of over-ear cans.
I am not excluding them from my considerations yet.

May 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,143 of 2,205
I own the WS99 and the sound leakage isn't much at all, especially if you're going to be listening at reasonable volumes. They are over ear, but personally, theyve become really comfy. Took a day or so of wearing to "break in" the pads.

May 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,144 of 2,205
Quote:
P.S.

By "over-ear" I think you are meaning "on ear" or "supra-aural". As far as the ws99's are concerned, it depends on your ear size. My ears are medium sized, and the ws99's practically feel circumaural to me (ie very comfortable). If you have larger ears though, then comfort might be an issue.

May 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,145 of 2,205
Early AD2000x impression...It is like the AKG Q701 with a slightly smaller soundstage, but far more involving, lush musical sound and equally clear imaging/separation (in other words, exactly what I was hoping for). I have played some REO Speedwagon, Roxette, Mary Chapin Carpenter and some oldschool chiptunes (Ys, Megaman) and have just been in total love for the past hour. Everything is there...bass, highs, mids, details. Feels both analytical and fun. Trying to find something to dislike. Not finding anything.

Also, currently running straight out of my Cowon D2. No amp or anything (I have a portable Leckerton UHA 6S, but haven't needed to pull it out yet). They are plenty loud and extremely dynamic (heavily compressed recordings are immediately noticable, one of the more recent Roxette albums started giving me a slight headache, went away when I went back to Joyride) Will test with the amp later. But non-amped, VERY impressive.

Sounds like its something that's going to appeal to a lot of people, but this impressions seems like its moving away from the direction I'm looking for. I already own the standard K702 and K702 Annie. I want airy and sparkly. Sounds like the AD1000X may be the better bet for me.

May 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,146 of 2,205
Yeah, female vocals are rounded off ever so slightly, non-fatiguing and well rendered, but lacking that sparkle and detail just the same of, say, my B2 IEM's. The mids are definitely the heart of the 2000x, I haven't had this much fun listening to electric guitars in years. It is definitely a first row experience.

May 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,147 of 2,205
Quote:

Just by taking the earpads off you can check the baffle :)

As far as I can tell the AD1000X baffle is made out of either metal or a very very dense plastic...

No matter how hard I tried, my will power was far too weak to muster what little courage I had to embark on this endeavor.  
size]

It's padtearingphobia, I developed the illness when trying to adjust the pad of my $5 headphone from circuit city...

May 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,148 of 2,205
Quote:
Thanx to all of you who responded to my post.

The same over here, I am waiting to get the ATH-A900X (closed back) for under $150.

Let me stress that  I'll be listening  to music (no gaming at all) in very quiet environments:
1. in a  quiet room  at home
2. in a quiet library
3. in a quiet coffee shop

So, I am not interested  noise isolating (from the outside world) headphones.

Now, I've forgot to mention that I want circumaural (and not over-ear like Grados) headphones that would be in the same league - if possible -
with  my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohm) or Sennheiser HD 595 (50 Ohm).
(I'm using the ODAC and the O2 as two separates.)

As I've read in this thread or on this site:
The Sony open air/back  M900 are leaking sound, the new open back ATH AD-900X are leaking sound as well.
So, I am left with the AKG K 550 (closed back) and A900X (closed back).
Now, the differnce in cost between the K 550 and A900X is about $100,
but I guess that the K 550 are perhaps in the same league with my DT 880 wheras the A900X are not.

Well,I think that I might go for the under $150
tongue_smile.gif
 A900X for listening in quiet indoors environments.

P.S.

I'd get the A900X for $130 from buydig. 2-day shipping and great customer support.
They often have a v.me option or special voucher, I got mine for $99 lol.

The A900X leaks considerably if the headphones aren't on your head, and the pads don't close together.  I put my headphones on a mannequin, and at moderate-uncomfortable listening levels I could not hear the headphones from 0.30 m away (~1 ft).

I really like the A900X but have not listened to the AKG, at first the pads were very uncomfortable.  After about 10 hours they softened considerably, now they don't hurt my ears.  

Most of the AD900X signature exists on the A900X.  The soundstage while not bad, is noticeably smaller than the AD900X.  There is more bass impact overall.  The airy AT sound is there but fainter, you almost have to be looking for it to hear it.

I bought this bag:  http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2857
Makes a snug fit depending on the angle you're placing them in, I didn't want my utensils scratching my headphones.

May 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,149 of 2,205
I'm wondering if anyone has more updates to give on their experiences with the AD2000X... or AD1000X? :3

Somehow in the past few days I've gotten my hands on an ES10 and an ES88... so I'm in the middle of a bit of an AT lovefest.

May 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,150 of 2,205
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has more updates to give on their experiences with the AD2000X... or AD1000X? :3

Somehow in the past few days I've gotten my hands on an ES10 and an ES88... so I'm in the middle of a bit of an AT lovefest.

If you like the ES10, you'll have to give the W1000X a try. And from the W1000X will inevitably come the W3000ANV.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,151 of 2,205
Naww. I'm saving up for a TH-600!

May 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,153 of 2,205
Something that's occurred to me over the past week or so, the ad2kx is not a headphone you should just pair with any amp.  It can sound harsh or boring out of some of the (pricier) amps I've got on hand.  Have a Gilmore Lite headed my way soon so I am hoping it is still a great combo.

May 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,155 of 2,205
What you can't take my word for it?

ZDT: Flat/boring sounding.  Probably the wrong tube setup.
Balancing Act: Quite good actually, soundstage is further expanded which is the best part.  Bass that is spot on.
P1u: Brings out the worst in the headphones, strident/hard treble, harsh highs
ZDac Headphone out: not bad but a little bit of treble hardness and little less control of bass (more quantity than Duet).  More exciting than Duet.
Apogee Duet Headphone out: not bad but a tiny bit soft in the bass but better details than ZDac.  More accurate than ZDac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back