Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
May 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #1,126 of 2,205
I also want to add that the WS99 would have a shorter cord and is more portably sized than the A900x, which I imagine has similar dimensions to the AD series.

May 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,127 of 2,205
Quote:
I'm back.
I haven't read whole lotta posts in this thread, but I'm narrowing my purchase of headphones to:
ATH A-900X (closed back) vs. ATH AD-A900X (open air) and perhaps AKG K550.

Well, I want my headphones for indoor quiet envinronment:
1. at (quiet) home
2. in a quiet library
3. in a quiet coffe shop.

I will not play my music very loud.

I'm concerned about the sound leakage from headphones to the outside world (in the library, etc)

Do the ATH AD-A900X leak a lot?? How about the A-900X?

I would agree, the AD900X is not a good outside option no matter how quietly you play music.

The K550 is somewhat sensitive to seal (I've got a pair I'm trying out atm) but it does sound very open, so if your aim was to get a very open sounding closed headphone it's definitely a good option.

May 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,128 of 2,205
Quote:
I'm back.
I haven't read whole lotta posts in this thread, but I'm narrowing my purchase of headphones to:
ATH A-900X (closed back) vs. ATH AD-A900X (open air) and perhaps AKG K550.

Well, I want my headphones for indoor quiet envinronment:
1. at (quiet) home
2. in a quiet library
3. in a quiet coffe shop.

I will not play my music very loud.

I'm concerned about the sound leakage from headphones to the outside world (in the library, etc)

Do the ATH AD-A900X leak a lot?? How about the A-900X?

I have both, the AD900X will leak considerably and the A900X does not create enough isolation for moderate listening levels in a noisy environment.

Honestly the A900X sounds great, I'd keep an eye on Buydig as they have had the A900X for $130 new / $99 manf refurbished.

May 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,129 of 2,205
Wrestled these from my local PO (long story) but at first glance the ad2kx are lighter than the original ad2k and the color of the top bands have an almost brownish/earthy luster to them (original was closer to a slight red/rusty luster?), they seem a little cheaper overall as a result.  Just saying.  

The pads look and feel looser than the original ad2k pads.  They still touch the outer edge of my ears but to a lesser degree because the clamp is substantially less which is both a good and bad thing.  

I have what I consider a small head and I can see these slipping down naturally on my head which could be a problem. The wings have no real "stop' to them so they can potentially slip all the way down to my neck if the clamp doesn't hold.

On first listen these definitely retain the airiness of the ad2k and immediately noticeable bass bloom, I love the soundstage these things throw.

Time will tell if the shoutiness will get to me; this was something that lead to me selling off the originals.

Rocking out to the new Daft Punk album - mixed reviews on it.

May 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #1,130 of 2,205
Speaking of the new Daft Punk album, I need to go buy it ;p

How does using a rubber band work for you? I found the fit and clamp of the AD900x to be pretty satisfactory as stock, but since I've been using a "medium" sized rubber band on the wings, I just can't go back; the fit is just that little bit snugger and better.

May 15, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #1,132 of 2,205
Quote:
Are there comparisons between the AD1000X and the HE400? 

Also, I noticed hissing on one of my FLACs when using my A900X's on my cpu...time to get a DragonFly?

May 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,133 of 2,205
Posting here randomly because I should have a pair of AD2000x waiting at home when I get home from work and I'm stuck here for 8 more hours. Dying to try them, pre-burn-in. :)

May 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,134 of 2,205
Quote:
Posting here randomly because I should have a pair of AD2000x waiting at home when I get home from work and I'm stuck here for 8 more hours. Dying to try them, pre-burn-in. :)

Ooh I'm envious...

May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,135 of 2,205
Early AD2000x impression...It is like the AKG Q701 with a slightly smaller soundstage, but far more involving, lush musical sound and equally clear imaging/separation (in other words, exactly what I was hoping for). I have played some REO Speedwagon, Roxette, Mary Chapin Carpenter and some oldschool chiptunes (Ys, Megaman) and have just been in total love for the past hour. Everything is there...bass, highs, mids, details. Feels both analytical and fun. Trying to find something to dislike. Not finding anything.

Also, currently running straight out of my Cowon D2. No amp or anything (I have a portable Leckerton UHA 6S, but haven't needed to pull it out yet). They are plenty loud and extremely dynamic (heavily compressed recordings are immediately noticable, one of the more recent Roxette albums started giving me a slight headache, went away when I went back to Joyride) Will test with the amp later. But non-amped, VERY impressive.

May 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,136 of 2,205
^ This is NOT what us cheapskates need to hear! Just kidding - sounds great!

May 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,137 of 2,205
Oh here's a question I'm hoping some AD900X owner can answer: is the baffle (driver mount) of the AD900X made of metal or plastic?

May 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,138 of 2,205
Dude, I'm telling you...I had a deal on a lightly used pair of Q701's at a store a few days ago ($200). I passed, but they were my back-up if these didn't pan out. Definitely not going back for them. The additional life in the music is quite worth it. Also the Q701 was running through a high end amp/DAC/CD player combo in my listening test at the store, AD2000x are just running straight through my D2.

Also, the previous owner burned these in for about 100 hours. So no idea what they sound like pre-burn-in.

May 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,140 of 2,205
Quote:
Can this be determined without opening the headphone?  I can observe/take photos.

EDIT:  Read a second time, carefully lol..

Just by taking the earpads off you can check the baffle :)

As far as I can tell the AD1000X baffle is made out of either metal or a very very dense plastic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back