Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #421 of 2,803
  I must buy DAC again. I think FiiO E10K is not for MSR7, maybe E10K make every instrument and vocal more forward 
frown.gif
 I know E10K have better detail. Or should I buy an amp but still using E10K as DAC?
But moved to Realtek from cheap motherboard, MSI H81M-E33, it's sounds good. How could it be possible... 

Mix and match most of the time is not related to the price 
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #422 of 2,803
dang. I was hoping they'd sound more like ESW9/ESW10, rather than the typical AT house sound. I like a little warmer and non-fatiguing for portable use, a bit better for working and studying IMO.
the build quality improvement over their Sony twins is welcoming, though. wonder if I could just put the Sony drivers in these... :p

still, need to find a pair of these to demo, can't judge before trying.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #424 of 2,803
  dang. I was hoping they'd sound more like ESW9/ESW10, rather than the typical AT house sound. I like a little warmer and non-fatiguing for portable use, a bit better for working and studying IMO.
the build quality improvement over their Sony twins is welcoming, though. wonder if I could just put the Sony drivers in these... :p

still, need to find a pair of these to demo, can't judge before trying.

With this setup, to me they sound even better than ESW9:

AT house sound is not so strong on MSR7, definitely not as strong as some of the AT wooden headphones.
But you should consider the firm headband for long period listening.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #425 of 2,803
Hi everyone

First of all i´m so confused to decided what´s the better headphones choice..

I have a home studio, with Focal CMS 65, Focusrite Forte, Ableton Push, CME UF 80 midi keyboard 88Keys.
I use Ableton Live 9 and Komplete 9. My precious is Kontakt 5 with many and many Piano Plugins.
I start studing piano recently, i simply love it, but i need practice during night with headphones.
My Old Headphones are: Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II, however i would love to have a superb and "surrounding" headphones to play and listen Piano Plugins (Steinway 1928, Session Keys Grand S, The Grandeur, New York - Vienna Concert Grand..)
I´m reading and reading some people feedback to find what is the best buy forggeting prices, but when more i reading more confused i had. 
I´m was thinking to buy ATH-M50x because it have good feedback, however at this moment i´m undecided to buy Audio Technica MSR7 or W1000X and i have my Sennheiser since this music :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQX2q6WCrbE
I read too, most of people buy amps to connect the last two headphones. Do i need to buy an Amp and connect to Focusrite Forte to get a better sound?
I love music with the best sound quality...
Thanks for your help  

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #426 of 2,803
Hi everyone

I  have a home studio, with Focal CMS 65, Ableton Push, Focusrite Forte and CME UF80 Midi Keyboard with 88 keys. I use Ableton 9 and Komplete 9 with some of the best Piano Plugins..
I recently decided studing music and Piano and need to play during night with a great headphones.
I have my headphones since Crystal Waters - Pure love, Sennheiser HD540 Reference II.
Since last weeks i was reading to understand what is the best studio headphones and saw Audio technica ATH-M50x have a great feedback however Audio-Technica have other two excellent headphones too. They have ATH W1000X and MSR7, however this last two have best performance when connected to an Amp.
At this moment i´m so confused to decided what´s the best option to get the best sound with Kontakt Piano plugins :frowning2:
Is it possible/necessary connect Focusrite Forte to an Amp like AT-HA22Tube or other one?
Thanks for your feedback.. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #427 of 2,803
Hi everyone

I  have a home studio, with Focal CMS 65, Ableton Push, Focusrite Forte and CME UF80 Midi Keyboard with 88 keys. I use Ableton 9 and Komplete 9 with some of the best Piano Plugins..
I recently decided studing music and Piano and need to play during night with a great headphones.
I have my headphones since Crystal Waters - Pure love, Sennheiser HD540 Reference II.
Since last weeks i was reading to understand what is the best studio headphones and saw Audio technica ATH-M50x have a great feedback however Audio-Technica have other two excellent headphones too. They have ATH W1000X and MSR7, however this last two have best performance when connected to an Amp.
At this moment i´m so confused to decided what´s the best option to get the best sound with Kontakt Piano plugins :frowning2:
Is it possible/necessary connect Focusrite Forte to an Amp like AT-HA22Tube or other one?
Thanks for your feedback.. 

I used Focusrite LE a few years back, and it has quite a powerful and good quality headphone output. But i haven't tried Forte. Now using Steinberg UR824, which headphone outputs not as powerful as the LE.
If Forte has good quality headphone output, as good or better than the LE, it would be sufficient, no external amp required, unless you want to have other sonic flavor.

As a sound engineer myself, I would say HA22Tube is more for music listening, rather than recording, mixing, or composing. It is rather flavored amp, not plain vanilla.

But, yes, it is possible to connect unbalanced amplifier like HA22TUBE to TRS balanced output of Forte. I use to do that with LE. But you need custom cable, TRS to RCA. Just use the Tip and Shield and leave the Ring unconnected.

I guess the slightly enhanced clarity and detail on MSR7 would be great for piano composition, probably better than M50x. But this is just my guess.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #428 of 2,803
I used Focusrite LE a few years back, and it has quite a powerful and good quality headphone output. But i haven't tried Forte. Now using Steinberg UR824, which headphone outputs not as powerful as the LE.
If Forte has good quality headphone output, as good or better than the LE, it would be sufficient, no external amp required, unless you want to have other sonic flavor.

As a sound engineer myself, I would say HA22Tube is more for music listening, rather than recording, mixing, or composing. It is rather flavored amp, not plain vanilla.

But, yes, it is possible to connect unbalanced amplifier like HA22TUBE to TRS balanced output of Forte. I use to do that with LE. But you need custom cable, TRS to RCA. Just use the Tip and Shield and leave the Ring unconnected.

I guess the slightly enhanced clarity and detail on MSR7 would be great for piano composition, probably better than M50x. But this is just my guess.

Hi 

First of all many thanks for your fast feedback..
I love the sound of Forte i suppose it does not have many output headphones power however kontakt have the possibility to gain volume.
Here the Focusrite Forte Headphones Specs:
Frequency Response20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
SNR (A-weighted)-116 dB
THD+N

<0.0008% (-1dBFS input 1kHz, 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, 10k load)
Maximum Output into 10k+9 dBu (+7dBV)
Maximum Power into 150R30 mW
Maximum Power into 32R27 mW
Output Impedance< 8 Ohms
Load Impedance > 24 Ohms
I can´t find the headphones spects from Focusrite LE to compare the output of both :frowning2:
I probably will go to MRS7 or W1000X, i do not kown W1000X will works fine with Forte too..
Kind Regards

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #429 of 2,803
just want to share my opinion on LyxPro LCP Quad Cables compare to MSR-7 stock cable.

With LyxPro, the sound imho is more smooth with fuller mids and tighter bass. I can really feel the bass with this cable.

Stock cable imho is a bit "sharp" and a bit "bright" compare to LyxPro.

I really like this cable compare to the MSR-7 stock cable.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #430 of 2,803
  Hi 

First of all many thanks for your fast feedback..
I love the sound of Forte i suppose it does not have many output headphones power however kontakt have the possibility to gain volume.
Here the Focusrite Forte Headphones Specs:
Frequency Response20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
SNR (A-weighted)-116 dB
THD+N

<0.0008% (-1dBFS input 1kHz, 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, 10k load)
Maximum Output into 10k+9 dBu (+7dBV)
Maximum Power into 150R30 mW
Maximum Power into 32R27 mW
Output Impedance< 8 Ohms
Load Impedance > 24 Ohms
I can´t find the headphones spects from Focusrite LE to compare the output of both :frowning2:
I probably will go to MRS7 or W1000X, i do not kown W1000X will works fine with Forte too..
Kind Regards

Sorry didn't typed the name completely, should be Focusrite Saffire LE:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles/saffire.htm
http://global.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Saffire+LE
http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/7059/saffire-le-user-guide-1.0-english1.pdf

Only mentioned in the manual:
HEADPHONE MONITORING
• 1 x 1/4” TRS Jack on front panel (mirrors outputs 3-4)
• High power headphone driver

I used it a few years ago when I wrote review of Beyerdynamic T1 for Headfonia:
http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-beyerdynamics-t1/

The Forte headphone output at 27 mW @ 32 ohm doesn't seem to be powerful, but should be sufficient for MSR7.  It's about the same as 30mW x 2 output power of the iPhone classic, which is ok, but cannot be considered powerful.

If you want to connect Forte balanced TRS output to any headphone amplifier unbalanced RCA input, use cable connection number 10 from the table in RANE recommendation of audio interconnections:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

I had W1000X a few years ago, and currently writing review for W1000Z which I consider a great improvement of W1000X.
From memory of W1000X, I strongly suggest to use MSR7 for any professional audio tasks, composing, recording, mixing, etc, rather than W1000X. Although W1000X is really a nice headphone, it has it's own flavor, and the flavor is rather strong, especially in the emphasize on the upper mid - treble area, making it not flat enough for Pro Audio related tasks.  MSR7 is closer to flatter tonality when compared to W1000X. MSR7, still has some mild forward midrange and emphasize in clarity, but MSR7 sonic flavor is milder than W1000X. MSR7 in my opinion is more suitable for your piano composition.
If you don't mind to share with me one of your 'copyright free' composition, I will use it for my future AT-HA22TUBE review. I will try to record the output of the tube amp comparing with the output of solid state amplifier, to hear if we can hear any difference 
wink_face.gif

just want to share my opinion on LyxPro LCP Quad Cables compare to MSR-7 stock cable.

With LyxPro, the sound imho is more smooth with fuller mids and tighter bass. I can really fell the bass with this cable.

Stock cable imho is a bit "sharp" and a bit "bright" compare to LyxPro.

I really like this cable compare to the MSR-7 stock cable.

Thanks @igndenny !
I have similar impression.

FYI, me and igndenny exchange cable for MSR7. I borrow his Forza Hybrid as shown in my previous picture, and he borrow my LyxPro DIY cable. Both are great cables. Though I consider AT stock cable is fine, not like Fidelio X1 stock cable that clearly need an upgrade, users might experience small variation in sound signature by rolling the MSR7 cable.
The Forza Hybrid, sounds more spacious than the stock cable, clearer instrument separation. Tonality is excellent, but what I like most from Forza Hybrid is the spacious 3D soundstage. Musicians have more space to breath, sounds more enjoyable.
Again, this is cables comparison, so read it within the 'cable small margin' of sonic variation.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #431 of 2,803

Sorry didn't typed the name completely, should be Focusrite Saffire LE:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles/saffire.htm
http://global.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Saffire+LE
http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/7059/saffire-le-user-guide-1.0-english1.pdf

Only mentioned in the manual:
HEADPHONE MONITORING
• 1 x 1/4” TRS Jack on front panel (mirrors outputs 3-4)
• High power headphone driver

I used it a few years ago when I wrote review of Beyerdynamic T1 for Headfonia:
http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-beyerdynamics-t1/

The Forte headphone output at 27 mW @ 32 ohm doesn't seem to be powerful, but should be sufficient for MSR7.  It's about the same as 30mW x 2 output power of the iPhone classic, which is ok, but cannot be considered powerful.

If you want to connect Forte balanced TRS output to any headphone amplifier unbalanced RCA input, use cable connection number 10 from the table in RANE recommendation of audio interconnections:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

I had W1000X a few years ago, and currently writing review for W1000Z which I consider a great improvement of W1000X.
From memory of W1000X, I strongly suggest to use MSR7 for any professional audio tasks, composing, recording, mixing, etc, rather than W1000X. Although W1000X is really a nice headphone, it has it's own flavor, and the flavor is rather strong, especially in the emphasize on the upper mid - treble area, making it not flat enough for Pro Audio related tasks.  MSR7 is closer to flatter tonality when compared to W1000X. MSR7, still has some mild forward midrange and emphasize in clarity, but MSR7 sonic flavor is milder than W1000X. MSR7 in my opinion is more suitable for your piano composition.
If you don't mind to share with me one of your 'copyright free' composition, I will use it for my future AT-HA22TUBE review. I will try to record the output of the tube amp comparing with the output of solid state amplifier, to hear if we can hear any difference 
wink_face.gif

Hi

First of all many thanks for your reply

I suppose the Forte Output get 30 mW when connected to power suplly, however with sennheser hd540RII and kontakt 5 at maximum volume, the volume "height" becomes excessive.

I read all thread posted from W1000X and MRS7 and the perception that i took is that satisfaction for customer is greater with W1000X and some dissatisfaction with MSR7.

Yesterday at the end of day i bought from ebay japan W1000X for different reasons. When compared the price of the MSR7/BR compared w1000x difference is about 80USD. When comparing europe vs japan prices  doesn´t justify to buy MSR7/BR (is the color i like) outside europe.

Unfortunately i have not had the chance to test all two mode in Portugal. I hope W1000X will superb sound when compared with my old Sennheiser HD540RII :) 

After receive W1000X i will give my feedback.. and i hope i not have a bad choice :frowning2:

If you need a Piano demo, please send me your e-mail and than i will send you or a mp3 music played or the same music with ableton extension saved. 

My apologies for not having waited for your feedback and so have made the worst choice :frowning2:

Many thanks for all and my kind Regards

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #432 of 2,803
I must rethink about FiiO E10K is not for MSR7, maybe yesterday I can't adapted to MSR7 soundsignature (and then why I blame E10K not my ears 
confused_face_2.gif
)

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #433 of 2,803
  Hi

First of all many thanks for your reply

I suppose the Forte Output get 30 mW when connected to power suplly, however with sennheser hd540RII and kontakt 5 at maximum volume, the volume "height" becomes excessive.

I read all thread posted from W1000X and MRS7 and the perception that i took is that satisfaction for customer is greater with W1000X and some dissatisfaction with MSR7.

Yesterday at the end of day i bought from ebay japan W1000X for different reasons. When compared the price of the MSR7/BR compared w1000x difference is about 80USD. When comparing europe vs japan prices  doesn´t justify to buy MSR7/BR (is the color i like) outside europe.

Unfortunately i have not had the chance to test all two mode in Portugal. I hope W1000X will superb sound when compared with my old Sennheiser HD540RII :) 

After receive W1000X i will give my feedback.. and i hope i not have a bad choice :frowning2:

If you need a Piano demo, please send me your e-mail and than i will send you or a mp3 music played or the same music with ableton extension saved. 

My apologies for not having waited for your feedback and so have made the worst choice :frowning2:

Many thanks for all and my kind Regards

W1000X is a nice headphone, good soundstage, clarity, transparency, with forward midrange. As long as we know that it is flavored, that's fine. I found it doesn't have enough bass to meet my preference.  And W1000Z has improved tonality compared to W1000X.

MSR7, as mentioned before, is a very revealing headphone, and not forgiving to 'unmatched' amplifier and recording. So definitely there will be some negative responses. Unmatched amplifier and recording will just sound unpleasant on MSR7. But that revealing and unforgiving nature of MSR7 is really useful for Pro Audio engineers, as it makes it easy to spot unpleasant tonality and details in our recording or our mix. Those forgiving and 'always pleasant' sounding headphones, are more for music listening, but useless when it comes to mixing and editing.

Anyway, W1000X is a vintage and collectible headphone, so it is worth to have it. Both W1000X and MSR7 are great performers, as long as we know their character, and use them right.

Thanks a lot for the offer to have your composition for my review!
I will pm you my email address.
beerchug.gif

I must rethink about FiiO E10K is not for MSR7, maybe yesterday I can't adapted to MSR7 soundsignature (and then why I blame E10K not my ears 
confused_face_2.gif
)

Try some audiophile recordings, like those free samplers from HDtracks and 2L.
When you have opportunity, try MSR7 with Centrance DAPport, they are beautifully matching 
L3000.gif

Or get Fiio E12DIY, change the Op-Amp to either AD8599 or OPA827.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #434 of 2,803
I must rethink about FiiO E10K is not for MSR7, maybe yesterday I can't adapted to MSR7 soundsignature (and then why I blame E10K not my ears :confused_face_2: )

MSR7 with Fiio E12DIY(OPA827) is simply great combo IMHO.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #435 of 2,803
Try some audiophile recordings, like those free samplers from HDtracks and 2L.
When you have opportunity, try MSR7 with Centrance DAPport, they are beautifully matching 
L3000.gif

Or get Fiio E12DIY, change the Op-Amp to either AD8599 or OPA827.

No need for that. I hear some Yao Si Ting, Adele and yanaginagi songs (supercell too). Speechless 
biggrin.gif

I hope I can tried DACport again at next local minimeet. I'm not lucky, someone at facebook group sell DACport only Rp 1.000.000, sold after 10 minutes

MSR7 with Fiio E12DIY(OPA827) is simply great combo IMHO.

Considered it 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back