Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #391 of 2,803
  Bottom line, these are very good sounding headphones.  Take a chance and try for yourself.  There's one or two guys that say these are amp sensitive or whatever.  Your milage may differ.  What are the chances that you are ever gonna own that AT tube amp?  Lets be realistic here.  I mean the dude says it sounds good with a tube amp and also with a DX90.  There's plenty of room in between those two signatures that a lot out there will sound fine with.  Don't be discouraged because these really do sound amazing to my ears and I've owned plenty of gears to realize this.

Yeah, I get what you mean already. The reason why I push myself to make it work with the AT tube amp because It's 100% positive that I will get my hands on the tube amp with my friend's help when he go to Japan next week. But of course portability issue is one thing and getting myself a compatible battery pack with 15 VDC is another. Today I get the chance to go to my local store to audition the MSR7, so yeah, I'm not discouraged just yet
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #393 of 2,803
  Bottom line, these are very good sounding headphones.  Take a chance and try for yourself.  There's one or two guys that say these are amp sensitive or whatever.  Your milage may differ.  What are the chances that you are ever gonna own that AT tube amp?  Lets be realistic here.  I mean the dude says it sounds good with a tube amp and also with a DX90.  There's plenty of room in between those two signatures that a lot out there will sound fine with.  Don't be discouraged because these really do sound amazing to my ears and I've owned plenty of gears to realize this.

That's right, with my gears, there are actually more gears that sound good with MSR7 than those which don't.  So higher chance for success I would say.

One thing I need to know about this gem: Is it's soundstage laid back like NAD Viso hp50 and Beyer dt1350 or forward and roaring like Sennheiser Amperior or JVC s500?

As I intend to keep one for laid back and one for agressive your answers are important.

It's more towards forward sounding, not laid back.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #394 of 2,803
From my time with the MSR7 I'd hesitate using file compression of any kind with these headphones. If they were a car it would be premium only and smooth roads only. It made my Amazon Prime music streaming sound etchy.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #395 of 2,803
Finally got myself this badass gunmetal version today. Paired with my dx50, no amp. Mid and high gain only, vol from 180-201. Playlist full of mp3 320kbps, minor numbers of flacs (16 bit), and some free track from HDTracks.
All I can say is, this dude is awesome! Maybe it is just a new toy syndrome, and I am a total noob in this cruel world :D
But seriously, it's been 3 hours straight without fatigue, comfort is okay, no high pressure to my head at all. I stretched the headband before i use, btw. Maybe for 5 minutes, I guess. Ears getting a little warm, but i will definitely blame the tropical weather around here.
The vocal is clear and pretty forward compared to my previous cans. No lack of bass for me tho, it's there. Solid, no rumble, punch fast, without interfering another freq. The highs? I don't feel the harsh i've been worried before so far. Simply a high upgrade from my ws55x lol.
For sound and comfort, i won't complain. I just envy how m50x can fold inside haha. But that's okay, super okay.
That's all I can give for this cans. Idk with laptop or mobile phones, how will it sound etc. Hope this early impression help you guys.

Edit : image attached

P.S. Forgive me i can only gave impression that far, total noob. My saturday night already ruined because this cans lol.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #396 of 2,803
Finally got myself this badass gunmetal version today. Paired with my dx50, no amp. Mid and high gain only, vol from 180-201. Playlist full of mp3 320kbps, minor numbers of flacs (16 bit), and some free track from HDTracks.
All I can say is, this dude is awesome! Maybe it is just a new toy syndrome, and I am a total noob in this cruel world
biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's been 3 hours straight without fatigue, comfort is okay, no high pressure to my head at all. I stretched the headband before i use, btw. Maybe for 5 minutes, I guess. Ears getting a little warm, but i will definitely blame the tropical weather around here.
The vocal is clear and pretty forward compared to my previous cans. No lack of bass for me tho, it's there. Solid, no rumble, punch fast, without interfering another freq. The highs? I don't feel the harsh i've been worried before so far. Simply a high upgrade from my ws55x lol.
For sound and comfort, i won't complain. I just envy how m50x can fold inside haha. But that's okay, super okay.
That's all I can give for this cans. Idk with laptop or mobile phones, how will it sound etc. Hope this early impression help you guys.

Edit : image attached

P.S. Forgive me i can only gave impression that far, total noob. My saturday night already ruined because this cans lol.

Thanks for your impressions! I was wondering if these would pair well with the DX50.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #398 of 2,803

Thanks for your impressions! I was wondering if these would pair well with the DX50.

I forgot to mention the firmware. I am not using the official one. Totally forgot what it is. I guess the latest NDFFF from docs. Glad could help,anyway!

That's fine! I used Sound Unlocked 1.4, so I don't use stock firmware either.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #399 of 2,803
Jan 4, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #400 of 2,803
Hi, I recently tried the M50x`s and found them lacking in some departments, though they do sound great at $150, they don`t compared to other higher end portable. Seeing as the MSR7`s are twice the price, I was wondering if they would they compare similarly or even favorably to the Bowers and Wilkins P7`s or Sennheiser Momentums?, thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #402 of 2,803
Will hopefuly post impressions with Qls qa360 (the dap that puts dx90 into shame) and some 24/96 and dsd recordings. Then will start amping and see if it makes a worthy difference.

It has to be better than similar segmented Nad Viso hp50 or else I won't entertain it :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #403 of 2,803
i love the sound of MSR7 than SONY 1A
but SONY 1A has a perfect fit

Indeed, sound comparisons aside, the comfort levels are way in Sony's court. I can't go back to the MSR7 for my portable headphone anymore. The MDR-1 floats on my head... Like A Feather!!! In fact the overall package and build quality details is just great on the MDR-1. However I'm going take my MSR7 to Best Buy and give a listen threw the McIntosh MHA100. Then I am deporting it to Japan for lack of comfort and being a tad fussy with sources.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #404 of 2,803
Sony's headphones have always gotten comfort consistently right but the sound is always lacking too much compared to other competitors in the same price range

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #405 of 2,803
Currently using my optical->AVR to power my my HE-400i (recently sold my Aune T1 DAC/AMP) - debating whether or not i should get a new amp, or uprgrade my NVX Audio PT100 to the MSR7s for office use.

Itll need to be driven off my mobile LG G3, which luckily has top notch headphone output (at least when it comes to mobile devices).  How are the MSR7s when driven off a portable setup? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back