Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #436 of 2,803
Hey. New here at headfi. I have a question regarding MSR7 headphones.
How do they sound direct from portable sources (laptops, phones) without an amp?
Also, as per the discussions on the thread, it seems that MSR7 is very amp sensitive.
So, just curious to know how well MSR7 matches with the Fiio E06K amp.
I am going to use the headphones mainly for music/movie listening purpose.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #437 of 2,803

How do they sound direct from portable sources (laptops, phones) without an amp?

Also, as per the discussions on the thread, it seems that MSR7 is very amp sensitive.

You probably won't get the most of it. I haven't tried Fiio E06k, not sure how's the matching. But probably what you need to concern most is the headband pressure that for some people is a bit too hard. Probably not the best choice for long hour listening.

For movie, i prefer IEM, more comfortable for long period.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #439 of 2,803

my first few auditon of this can was with the sansa clip...and samsung Note 1 fone..
with these "lesser" source, i tot it paired well with the slightly edgy sound of the MSR7..
i heard a pleasant unabrasive sound. 

When i brought along my E18, the increased clarity of source also highlighted the 
edgier side of the MSR7....and i began to make sense of some of the earlier feedbacks others had about the slightly "etched" sound of this can.

just my ears...better u go down to a local shop n give it a listen with your laptop.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #440 of 2,803
The local shop doesnt have it in stock, so difficult to try. Found a good deal ($230) with one of the online retailers here.
Please let me know if my below understanding seems correct.
The sound seems 'fine' from portable souces, but the use of E18 also amplified the highs of an already edgy headphone.
Hence, to balance the sound, its preferable to pair msr7 with warmer dac/amps like centrance dacport, AT tube amp etc?
Did you also feel the headband pressure (if wearing for long hours) as previously mentioned by earfonia?

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #441 of 2,803
i have not found the MSR7 to be sibilant...slight edge YES, but still didnt bothered me like the AKGs.

Ermmm dacport...used that long time agoooooo...it is slightly gritty vs the LX,
cant give u a firm answer on this alchemy.

Headclamp, i dun hav a bighead, and my audition wasnt into the hours...cant advise on that too..
but i didnt find it terribly clammpy like a hd25.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #442 of 2,803
What do you think about uDac3? Someone at local forum said uDac3 have very thick and warm sound, maybe it's good to paired with MSR7

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #444 of 2,803
hey cld someone who owns these headphones post pictures w measurements of the inner earpad dimensions? (height, width, and depth). read some comments abt ppl's ears touching thr driver baffle so just curious. thanks!!

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #445 of 2,803
hey cld someone who owns these headphones post pictures w measurements of the inner earpad dimensions? (height, width, and depth). read some comments abt ppl's ears touching thr driver baffle so just curious. thanks!!

Haven't done measurement, my ears touch the drivers baffle / screen slightly.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #446 of 2,803
Today I have a chance of visiting local headphones shop in Singapore (E1), with the mission of trying Cayin N6 DAP.

Really worth waiting the queue as a few of them having the same mission like mine.

As I use this headphones (MSR7) for trying and comparing with IBasso DX90.

Wow, the N6, is like DX90 + Cayin C5 combo on steroid. It sound so fantastic using MSR7.

The sound stage so wide, some new backstage sound I discover that did not noticeable when I am using DX90, although the song I use is the same song I am familiar with.

Both the DAP and headphones really a good combination I ever tried without a need to bring some bricks of DAP & amp combo.

I wish I have more time to enjoy it, but is not fair for others...they also salivating...lol

Highly recommended.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #447 of 2,803
  Today I have a chance of visiting local headphones shop in Singapore (E1), with the mission of trying Cayin N6 DAP.

Really worth waiting the queue as a few of them having the same mission like mine.

As I use this headphones (MSR7) for trying and comparing with IBasso DX90.

Wow, the N6, is like DX90 + Cayin C5 combo on steroid. It sound so fantastic using MSR7.

The sound stage so wide, some new backstage sound I discover that did not noticeable when I am using DX90, although the song I use is the same song I am familiar with.

Both the DAP and headphones really a good combination I ever tried without a need to bring some bricks of DAP & amp combo.

I wish I have more time to enjoy it, but is not fair for others...they also salivating...lol

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the impression!
Like what I found, and have said many times, MSR7 is easily scales up with good amp or players. Don't judge MSR7 too early without trying it with good player and amp.  When MSR7 found its match,
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #448 of 2,803
Just got my MSR7 last night. I was expecting to be pretty underwhelmed by the bass but was pleasantly surprised that it is not as bad as I thought it would be. I enjoy a set of headphones that have strong bass but really dislike headphones that sound muddy. The bass on the MSR7 sounds good but lacks the impact that I would like. I paired it with my JDS Labs C5 with the bass boost on and it now gives me the bass that I like without any of the muddiness

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #449 of 2,803
Hi everyone

I will buy MSR7 soon however would like to know wish one of those Amps will choose..

Cayin C5 or FiiO E12A (Mont Blanc) or other one?
Where i can find LyxPro LCP Quad Cables?

I find this post comparing C5 and E12A, however my doubt persist considering Audio-Technica MSR7

"a more interesting comparison was done next to Cayin C5 amp I recently reviewed. I thought these will be competing against each other due to similarities, but instead found them complementing each other with a different sound sig. The most obvious difference is C5 soundstage being wider/deeper in comparison to E12A. Also, E12A sounds more neutral and natural while C5 sounds thicker with a slight sound coloration which I wouldn't even notice without this comparison. Both have a solid black background. Also, to my ears E12A has a slightly better separation and layering sounding a bit less congested in comparison to C5. Furthermore, C5 bass boost affects both sub-bass and mid-bass, while E12A mostly sub-bass. Also, E12A battery life is probably close to double of C5. In general, C5 is more universal and more powerful to drive any kind of headphones, while E12A is appropriate for more efficient headphones and longer extended listening."

I will connect Focusrite Forte to Amp.
Thanks

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #450 of 2,803
  Hi everyone

I will buy MSR7 soon however would like to know wish one of those Amps will choose..

Cayin C5 or FiiO E12A (Mont Blanc) or other one?
Where i can find LyxPro LCP Quad Cables?

I find this post comparing C5 and E12A, however my doubt persist considering Audio-Technica MSR7

"a more interesting comparison was done next to Cayin C5 amp I recently reviewed. I thought these will be competing against each other due to similarities, but instead found them complementing each other with a different sound sig. The most obvious difference is C5 soundstage being wider/deeper in comparison to E12A. Also, E12A sounds more neutral and natural while C5 sounds thicker with a slight sound coloration which I wouldn't even notice without this comparison. Both have a solid black background. Also, to my ears E12A has a slightly better separation and layering sounding a bit less congested in comparison to C5. Furthermore, C5 bass boost affects both sub-bass and mid-bass, while E12A mostly sub-bass. Also, E12A battery life is probably close to double of C5. In general, C5 is more universal and more powerful to drive any kind of headphones, while E12A is appropriate for more efficient headphones and longer extended listening."

I will connect Focusrite Forte to Amp.
Thanks

Finally :)
Have you got the W1000X? What's your impression?

I suggest you get Fiio E12DIY, so you can change the sound signature to your liking, no need to change amplifier when you're not satisfied with the sound signature.
You will need mini jack to 2 TRS cable to connect to your Forte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back