Audio Technica ATH-CK10
May 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #1,231 of 1,585
Haonan

Thanks for the part number of the original sleeve, as I find those to be superior in every way to all else that I've tried with the 10's and was a bit concerned about what I would use if, and ever, they went bad.  

Now, I must go in search of... 

Cheers.

You are welcomed AudioDwebe. Seeing as you are located in North America, I'm not very sure if the local distributors at your local region have these Audio-technica accessories in stock. If you do have trouble locating them yourself, I would suggest you to just grab them from Bluetin online, as they do ship internationally and they get their stocks straight from JP, with their office warehouse located there so I suppose you won't have to wait too long for them to confirm shipment to you, after placing your orders. The ER-CK9 stock silicone tips replacement box do come in 3 pairs in either S, M or L size, you may have to indicate your preferred size to them under the comment box after placing your order, since they do not sell these with all 3 sizes included like what you get bundled with your CK10 out of the box.

Hrm, I see reference to people using the Shure triple flanges. I have a pair of these, and the stalk diameter (and inner hole) looked woefully too small to fit on the CK10. Do people force them? Are the Ety's or Monsters a larger diameter stalk, or the same as the Shure?

No personal experience with Shure tri-flanges myself. Etymotic Research's tri-flange stalk diameter is indeed alittle small compared to Monster tri-flanges (which fits just nicely on both CK10/CK100), but according to my own experience and what RADI0HEAD had wrote, its true that the Etymotic tri-flanges are pretty stretch-able to fit the nozzle tube without issues, at least there's no need to do any form of modding unlike with Shure Olive foamies as far as concerned.

May 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,232 of 1,585
However, if you are okay with wearing Triple-flange tips, Etymotic Research Grey tri-flanges (Large size) or Monster tri-flanges will give you better isolation, with increased tighter bass properties compared to default silicones. However like what some other people had experienced and feedbacked on this thread, not everyone may be suited for wearing tri-flange tips so YMMV.

Hope this helps, cheers. :)

As I mentioned before, I have a pair of Shure tri flanges. I cut the stalk down and forced them into the 'phone. I'm able to get a good seal and they're comfortable enough. Early impressions are that they've kinda killed the highs... I had read that Shure tri flanges were a good solution to sibilance... So unless my impressions change, I'm probably not happy with these for the CK10. They remind me of the effect the Comply TX-500 had...

I'm wondering: if it cut off the top smallest flange, do you suppose that woud help to restore the highs?

May 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,233 of 1,585

[size=medium]
I listen to phones through my iPhone exclusively, and was hoping someone had a recommendation for which default EQ setting would be appropriate for the CK10s.  Been using "Electronic" and it seems to be a bit better than none, but I figured you'd all know a lot better than me.
[/size]

May 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,234 of 1,585
I too am using the iphone4 and I have them on electronic, that seems to be the best for me. I also picked up the Ck's so new owner here.. I've been listening for a couple days about non stop. My brain became adjusted to the sound with the stock tips, then this weekend I found some comply's.. And wham, the bass hit and the treble was perfect. I love them and I'm very happy to have found them, don't even know if my Gr07's will get much use, I do know for a fact my e215's will never get used again. I can't say enough good things about them. I love the sound and they are perfect for me.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #1,235 of 1,585
However, if you are okay with wearing Triple-flange tips, Etymotic Research Grey tri-flanges (Large size) or Monster tri-flanges will give you better isolation, with increased tighter bass properties compared to default silicones. However like what some other people had experienced and feedbacked on this thread, not everyone may be suited for wearing tri-flange tips so YMMV.

Hope this helps, cheers. :)

As I mentioned before, I have a pair of Shure tri flanges. I cut the stalk down and forced them into the 'phone. I'm able to get a good seal and they're comfortable enough. Early impressions are that they've kinda killed the highs... I had read that Shure tri flanges were a good solution to sibilance... So unless my impressions change, I'm probably not happy with these for the CK10. They remind me of the effect the Comply TX-500 had...

I'm wondering: if it cut off the top smallest flange, do you suppose that woud help to restore the highs?

If you cut off the top flange it should give you a little more highs.

If you are still not happy try the Monster triples. Their large bore lets through the highs in all their glory.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #1,236 of 1,585

[size=medium]
I listen to phones through my iPhone exclusively, and was hoping someone had a recommendation for which default EQ setting would be appropriate for the CK10s.  Been using "Electronic" and it seems to be a bit better than none, but I figured you'd all know a lot better than me.
[/size]

I've never heard the iPhone but with my Nano 6 eq off is bliss with the CK10. The Nano 6 has a much warmer sound than even the Cowon J3. Nano 6 and CK10 have awesome synergy for what its worth.:)

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,237 of 1,585
The CK10 also has excellent synergy with my Nokia 5800 MusicPhone, but they went missing a few weeks ago.
I hope I find them soon, I miss them 
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,238 of 1,585

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps, cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you cut off the top flange it should give you a little more highs.

If you are still not happy try the Monster triples. Their large bore lets through the highs in all their glory.

Second the notion about the Monster Triples. Those are the only triple flanges I actually found comfortable and non-intrusive upon the sound signature of the CK10's. Really all of the monster tips I tried on the CK10's were great, I really love the effect the larger bore has on the sound, seems to let the soundstage "air out" even more.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,239 of 1,585
Thanks all! I gave up on the Shure tri-flanges as they seemed too small for my ears (by just an ear's hair lol).

Once I realized that I generally need the "large" size of tip, all of my IEMs have been fitting better.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,240 of 1,585
Sometimes when using these - I wonder if buying a back-up pair, in case AT decide to retire them, would make sense.
They are just that good! :) 

Is anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,242 of 1,585
How are ck10 compared to the q-jays? how about the bass the mids and the confort? Also is the highs more refined at the very end or still a bit ruff?

EDIT: no reason to spent your time helping my curiosity. Got some info from this threat.
Sorry i didnt search earlier.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,243 of 1,585
I've had my CK10's since October and love them more every day.  A couple tips I haven't seen posted here, just thought I'd add from my experience.

Tips - Comply Foam T-200's fit perfectly.  The CK10 aren't listed on Comply's website, and if you ask them they'll tell you that they don't have tips that fit, but the T-200's work great.  They don't fall off and go on with just the right amount of force.  They're long enough to go in and seal properly without getting bunched up (unless you have tiny tiny ears).  I'm a huge fan of foam tips for comfort and isolation, and foam tips on the CK10 really make them come alive.  I spent the first week with the CK10 with just the stock tips and wasn't impressed, they sounded too flat and hollow.  Adding the foam tips really helped them sound like they should.

Amp - I listen to them almost exclusively on my iPhone 4.  Early on I found them a little too flat so I got a E3 amp and wow did that make a difference.  They really came alive after that.  Later I switched to a E5 with a dock port line out and while the bass isn't as strong as the E3, its much more balanced.  I have my phone on the EQ off, I haven't found a need for it, and I'd rather not have the software messing with the levels anyway.  On my desktop I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD 5.1 USB and find I don't need an amp at all with it.

Previous IEMs I've owned/still own are HJE900 (still own), TripleFi 10 (returned) and Shure E3c (Dog ate & destroyed after 2 years).  The CK10 are the absolute best, though they require some tweaking to get there via tips & amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back