Audio Techica ATH-CKS70 "Solid Bass" IEMs First Impression and Pics.
Jun 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 52
Well been doing some browsing and found these at only a couple import sites, besides geekstuff4u mentioned above, they are carried by yesasia, accessoryjack, and audiocubes..

dunno how reliable any of these sites are but they all come to about $100-$120 shipped

*edit*
Also wonder how much difference there really is between the cks50 and cks70, $40 price difference, same size driver, seems the only advertised difference is the cks70 has a stronger magnet and CCAW coil.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zebus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*edit*
Also wonder how much difference there really is between the cks50 and cks70, $40 price difference, same size driver, seems the only advertised difference is the cks70 has a stronger magnet and CCAW coil.

I actually took a quick listen to the CKS50 at the shop, highs were a little recessed compared to the CKS70 and the bass may have been a little less punchy but still strong. I could be wrong about the bass part though.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #19 of 52
Well that decides it for me then, just ordered me a pair as well.

Got them from audiocubes for $110 shipped, and they are shipping from within the US so should be in my hands in about four days.

I'll share my thoughts on them when they arrive
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 52
Been to Disneyland Tokyo and walking around downtown Tokyo using the CKS70 and I have to add a couple of points that could potentially be dealbreakers for some people.

1) Isolation. These aren't the most isolating IEMs I've used. This is not necessarily a bad thing as being able to hear a bit of your surroundings when you're walking around a city, but if you're the type who prefers to totally shut yourself off from the world, the CKS70 won't do it. Again though, I think the amount of sound that does get in isn't a bad idea if you have a tendency not to look both ways when you cross the road.

2) Wind noise. Due to the fact that more of the CKS70 are outside of your ear than most IEMs, you will be able to hear the wind blowing against the CKS70. In all fairness, I do a notice a little of that with the JVC FX500s but due to, I guess, the slightly more aerodynamic shape of the FX500, it's definitely more noticeable on the CKS70. Also, it depends on what angle you're facing in relation to the wind, so if you're standing still you could change the direction you're facing. I do think it might be possible to experiment with some mods to fix this though.

In the end though, I'm still pretty content to the CKS70 while out and about. I mention these factors as I realize that they could be dealbreakers for some.

Quote:

Well that decides it for me then, just ordered me a pair as well.

Got them from audiocubes for $110 shipped, and they are shipping from within the US so should be in my hands in about four days.

I'll share my thoughts on them when they arrive
biggrin.gif

Zebus, I'm sorry that I only realized these potential issues after you already ordered them.
redface.gif
Hope they turn out to be non-issues for you and that you enjoy them. In spite of those factors, they do sound pretty nice.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 52
Ah, well its not too late to cancel my order, although that's not too much of a deal breaker for me unless the isolation is just horrible..

Although I do fly a lot so I'm kind of curious how they sound on an airplane now :p

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Ah, well its not too late to cancel my order, although that's not too much of a deal breaker for me unless the isolation is just horrible..

Although I do fly a lot so I'm kind of curious how they sound on an airplane now :p

Nah, the isolation isn't horrible. Just a bit less than I'm used to and I actually think that I prefer the amount of sound they let in considering that walking around a city can be dangerous if you can't hear anything around you.

As for flying, I'm leaving Japan tonight so I'll be able to comment on that later.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have you tried both tip positions? If you have, could you elaborate on the differences between the two sound quality-wise?

I also bought this earphones a few days ago.
In my opinion the difference is only about how deep into your ear the earbud tip will be. If the the earbud tip is longer, then it will be deeper into your ear (at least easily, because if you press strong enough the earbud it will go deep into your ear even if you put int on the narrow position).

So, deeper just means:
+isolation
+bass
+pressure in your ears (which could cause more tiredness)

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #24 of 52
any more information on this IEM? I am especially interested in the sound stage and "airiness" of the phone. I recently purchased a pair of AD700 and love their soundstage and the detail in the midrange and highs and wonder if these phones might be the perfect match to them in an IEM. I love my TB's but am starting to notice the difference between them and my AD700 ALOT.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #25 of 52
Actually if either of the purchasers of this IEM happen to have a pair of AD700 I would love a comparison to it. I really am starting to dislike my TB's in comparison to the AD700, the added detail and better midrange of the AD700 is starting to make the TB's sound shrill, plus the missing sound stage is definitely more noticeable. When I didn't know what I missing I didn't know but now I do LOL.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #26 of 52
You cant compare an open ear cup headphones with closed type IEMs.

I dont have an AD700, but I use a cheap AD300 at work which I realy like (for the price).

The CKS70 sound is totally different. Is "closed" (close cans like), its a closed type so thats expected. Not too much sound stage or airness but you cant expect that from an closed type earphone or even a headhpone.

Anyway in comparison with the AD300 the lows are way more powerful. Highs, although still clear and nice, its still a close sound. And maybe a little recessed in comparison.

I dont like closed cans but Ive never tried open earphones because I dont want my earphones to leak sound.

Actually I dont like earphones (earbuds nor IEMs). I dont like to walk in the street using a big pair of headphones. But these CKS70 are one of the best earphones I've used. Not very expensive (about $60 in Japan), good sound (nice bass) and comfortable (for an IEM).

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #27 of 52
I realize that an IEM will not be the same as an Open phone, I am more interested in how some feels they sound in comparison to the AD700 and maybe in comparson to other IEM's as well. For example does it have say 1/2 the sound stage of the AD700 but twice as much as the Monster Turbines, how does it'd detail compare etc.

The best way to do this is maybe explain what I am noticing between my TB's and the AD700.

The AD700 has a massive sound stage that is at least 4 times larger than the TB's (again I understand this is to be expected because one is open and the other an IEM).
The AD700 has more midrange that is fuller and more detailed with alot of nuances that the TB's simply can not reproduce.
The AD700 is laso very detailed and accurate with treble without coming across as shrill, the TB's in comparison are starting to seem very shrill to me without the detail.
I also notice more liveliness with the AD700 which I believe is often called pratt.
On the other and the bass of the TB's can be better for certain songs that are bass heavy but for the most part I feel the bass of the AD700 is very nice for the music I listen to.

I also wonder about the "house sound" of the Audio Technica phones and if this is present in these IEM's as this again may make these a better choice for me in comparison to my TB's. If the bass of these phones is more than the AD700 but does not color the rest of the sound spectrum and these phones have more sound stage than my TB's then these might be indeed a huge step up in sound especially for an IEM.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #28 of 52
Nobody have any new impressions or information on these phones?

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #29 of 52
I'm afraid that I've never owned any Audio Technica products before and never owned any open headphones so I can't comment on any AT "house sound" or how they compare to open headphones.

For those who are interested, I'm almost done burning in my CKS70 and FX500 for about a 100 hours each, so the comparison between them and the Turbines will hopefully be up in about a couple of days or so.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by furikake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also bought this earphones a few days ago.
In my opinion the difference is only about how deep into your ear the earbud tip will be. If the the earbud tip is longer, then it will be deeper into your ear (at least easily, because if you press strong enough the earbud it will go deep into your ear even if you put int on the narrow position).

So, deeper just means:
+isolation
+bass
+pressure in your ears (which could cause more tiredness)

Thanks for the info furikake. It seems that the whole two-position system is more gimmicky than anything else. I was hoping it would create more noticible differences in sound (soundstage, etc.), although the small difference in bass makes sense due to the increased isolation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid that I've never owned any Audio Technica products before and never owned any open headphones so I can't comment on any AT "house sound" or how they compare to open headphones.

For those who are interested, I'm almost done burning in my CKS70 and FX500 for about a 100 hours each, so the comparison between them and the Turbines will hopefully be up in about a couple of days or so.

I for one can't wait for your comparison. Thanks again DTKZ.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back