Audio Techica ATH-CKS70 "Solid Bass" IEMs First Impression and Pics.
Jun 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

DTKZ

100+ Head-Fier
Hi dear fellow Head-Fiers,
I have the fortune to be in Tokyo at the moment and picked up the new Audio Technica ATH-CKS70 iems. I thought I'd just share my initial out of box impressions for the moment. A more in depth review will be forthcoming after burning in and when I get back from Japan. Anyway, on to the business at hand.

kjk1281 posted a thread with some more pictures and diagrams of the CKS50 and CKS70 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...-cks70-425716/

Specs:
Driver size: 12.5mm
Driver type: Dynamic
Frequency range: 5Hz-24KHz
Sensitvity: 106dB/mW
Maximum power input: 100mW
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Cable: 1.2m, L-plug, Y-split

Pictures:

DSC01098Small.jpg

I bought them in Akibahara and as you can see, I paid JPY6980 for them which works out to about USD$72.

DSC01103Small.jpg

They come with the pouch you can see in the picture as well as 4 sizes of single flange tips ranging from XS to L.

I included my Turbines in order to provide a reference point to their size. Take note of the Y-split in picture. It is unfortunately made of plastic and has no strain relief similar to the Turbines.

DSC01104Small.jpg

Aside from that, the cable is a little more thick than the one on the Turbines and more stiff which should make them less tangle prone than the Turbines. It ends in an L-plug which does have strain relief which should make people happy.

DSC01112Small.jpg

You may not be able to see it in this picture, but half of the stem that leads to the cables is actually stiff rubber which is a nice discreet way of providing strain relief.

Quick initial impressions versus Turbines:
(I only have my Turbines to compare against and descriptions are all relative anyway. I'll try to be clearer when I write a full review.)

Highs: Nicer clearer highs versus the Turbines.
Mids: Similar to Turbines, somewhat recessed.
Lows: Really really nice. Punchier than the Turbines and less muddy.

Overall, I'm not really sure how to describe it but they sound overall more airy than the Turbines with better seperation.

In fact, I'm going to come right out and say it. So far, I think these are Turbine killers especially considering they're only about half the price.

Posted a couple of potential caveats on page 2.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 52
They look real nice. I personally think the Turbines are overrated and other people are starting to say the IM-590's are better, these CKS are better, model X are better etc. They look nicer then the Turbines also, IMO.

I love my CK10, so I am in team AT(Team Technica sounds better actually) too.

Really tempted to try em!

Let us know how the burn-in goes.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 52
Thanks for the impressions DTKZ (and for the heads-up via PM)! These look to be very promising indeed. "Turbine killers": those are fightin' words!
biggrin.gif
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for post-burn-in impressions.

Also, have you tried both tip positions? If you have, could you elaborate on the differences between the two sound quality-wise? Much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the Turbines are overrated and other people are starting to say the IM-590's are better, these CKS are better, model X are better etc.

Overhype/overrating on Head-Fi? NEVAR!!1!!!one
tongue.gif

There's a reason why I try to avoid the "Flavors of the Month." To this day I still don't understand the hype that was behind the Marshmallows.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 52
It seems audio technica always has solid build quality, am I right?

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 52
Those are nice-looking IEMs. It's smart of the company to have a logo staring back at the casual passer-by.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 52
Wow, these look great, and just so happen to come out the same day I go to look for me a new sets of buds..

Now just need to find me somewhere to order these badboys!

Thanks for the info DTKZ

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 52
Thanks for the positive responses so far. Just a few more comments on the bass which I'm loving so far.

The sub chamber in the design seems to be performing the way a subwoofer should. The CKS70 tackles the tactile reverberations in bass similar to the way a sub does. I went back to the shop I originally went to buy a second spare pair and they had the IE8s available for audition. While I have to admit that the IE8s (knobs on minimum bass, I think) still win out on sheer punch, it's not by much and the CKS70 does have incredibly fun tactile bass. Good to know if you like bass but can't afford the IE8s.

In other news, I just picked up a pair of the JVC FX500s today as well. So I'll probably doing a comparison between the CKS70, FX500 and Turbines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have you tried both tip positions? If you have, could you elaborate on the differences between the two sound quality-wise? Much appreciated.

I don't notice any differences but then again, I'm sharing a hotel room with my family, not the best environment in which to pick up on the little details. I'll try again when I've returned home in few days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overhype/overrating on Head-Fi? NEVAR!!1!!!one
tongue.gif

There's a reason why I try to avoid the "Flavors of the Month." To this day I still don't understand the hype that was behind the Marshmallows.

I hope I'm not overhyping these. I have to admit that this might merely be the exuberance of the honeymoon period. I still stand by my earlier words that these are better than the Turbines though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems audio technica always has solid build quality, am I right?

They seem to be made of a mixture of plastic and metal from what I can tell. They are also really light but seem pretty sturdy. I wouldn't want to step on them, but they seem like they would handle accidental drops and other typical hazards of daily use pretty well.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zebus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, these look great, and just so happen to come out the same day I go to look for me a new sets of buds..

Now just need to find me somewhere to order these badboys!

Thanks for the info DTKZ

Geekstuff4u seems to have them on preorder for the middle of June. Geek Stuff 4 U - For Geeks By Geeks Audio-Techinca ATH-CKS70

Interesting, they say the the CKS70 features "titanium construction". I don't suppose anybody has any idea how to test whether they are titanium without destroying them?

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 52
they look lovely with better fit than the turbine. as for hype: everthing gets it spotlight. one person's castle is anothers shack. for me, the atrio is the castle with a few caveats and the turbine comes close behind with the victor fx500 in the same area above or behind.

these look like some fun to try out.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 52
IEMs bleh....I wanna know about the earring -nice!

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 52
Sounds extremely promising! I may just have to pick up a pair when I'm in Japan this winter. Thanks again DTKZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other news, I just picked up a pair of the JVC FX500s today as well. So I'll probably doing a comparison between the CKS70, FX500 and Turbines.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

I don't notice any differences but then again, I'm sharing a hotel room with my family, not the best environment in which to pick up on the little details. I'll try again when I've returned home in few days.

Yeah, I was just curious since this is the first canalphone series to implement such a system. I've seen some impressions that state that the deeper position provides more bass, while the more narrow placement gives more treble detail. (Or was it the other way around...)

Quote:

I hope I'm not overhyping these. I have to admit that this might merely be the exuberance of the honeymoon period. I still stand by my earlier words that these are better than the Turbines though.

Oh, I don't think you are. I was mainly commenting on the whole FOTM phenomenon itself, and not any specific cases. In my opinion, the exuberance of trying out a new toy is fine; it's the regurgitation of those impressions by those who have not heard the phones and the subsequent game of virtual telephone that causes the overhype, which potentially hurts the long-term reputation of a product that is so deserving of praise.

Sorry for the slight derail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back