AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 20, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,129 of 3,694

I have my Antelope Live clock looped into my RN3 world clock this way in RN controller set the clock to external .
I am interested to see if the Mutec makes a difference as a SPDIF re-clocker  with this set up ? Is more better or is less is more ?

I have not hooked up my Antelope yet but the Mutec makes a big difference as a reclocker. Will find out soon how all three play together.

Last night before dinner I sat down for an hour and listened to some Offenbach whose music I like for it's dynamics. This was an old RCA recording. Ripped from CD at 44k and upsampled for the D16 to 192k. It sounded so amazing that I literally jumped to the edge of my seat in amazement. It is stunning to me that this has not really taken off yet, especially over on CA.

The remarkable thing is that my PC is the same and my DAC and playback system is unchanged. All I have done is altered how the bits are delivered to the DAC

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,130 of 3,694

I have not hooked up my Antelope yet but the Mutec makes a big difference as a reclocker. Will find out soon how all three play together.

Last night before dinner I sat down for an hour and listened to some Offenbach whose music I like for it's dynamics. This was an old RCA recording. Ripped from CD at 44k and upsampled for the D16 to 192k. It sounded so amazing that I literally jumped to the edge of my seat in amazement. It is stunning to me that this has not really taken off yet, especially over on CA.

The remarkable thing is that my PC is the same and my DAC and playback system is unchanged. All I have done is altered how the bits are delivered to the DAC

I think the usb ddc's that most of us used to have is the limiting factor.

I noticed that no matter what Dac you have, the RedNet 3 and D16 makes them perform to their peak which equates to astounding SQ that we all are experiencing.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,132 of 3,694
Quite true, my mid 2000s Matrix MINI-I took a sound leap over internal usb and a step or two up over the breeze audio ddc.
I think the usb ddc's that most of us used to have is the limiting factor.

I noticed that no matter what Dac you have, the RedNet 3 and D16 makes them perform to their peak which equates to astounding SQ that we all are experiencing.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,133 of 3,694
Good to know! Did you notice any sound changes vs just one directly to the Rednet?

For converting an aes 110 Ohm signal into a bnc 75 Ohm signal, you can use one of these Canare impedance transformers

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,134 of 3,694

​
For converting an aes 110 Ohm signal into a bnc 75 Ohm signal, you can use one of these Canare impedance transformers

This would be great for a permanent setup but my main DAC only accepts BNC or RCA so I'm quite happy with the RCA output of the Rednet (without having to spend on a breakout or 2-3 of these adapters). I'm thinking of a temporary use if I wanted to share the signal at a meet. Essentially I want my primary DAC and the ability to allow people to try their DAC on the same signal so they can see what the Rednet does for their system.

During the last meet I brought my Matrix Mini-I DAC which has a spdif pass-through that allowed daisy chaining and worked quite well, in the process we found out that the Yggy can not accept a signal directly from the Rednet (which now I believe Focusrite is working on or have worked on with their update). But... the Matrix Mini-i is what I use at work for speakers and headphone use, not the PC1704 MHDT Labs Pagoda I have at home which is levels above in SQ.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,135 of 3,694
Question for those use to pro gear. Am I able to use a T connector to split the spdif output of my Rednet to send to 2 dacs? Is this a bad and possibly sq-lessening?

Ideally I'd like run 2 dacs simultaneously through the same source connection, 1 of my DACs does not have AES/ebu.

You can run the one with AES on it with a breakout cable and hook up the other one with RCA. I'm doing that right now with my DirectStream hooked up via AES and Master 11 hooked up with RCA so I can A/B them. The signal is outputted to both simultaneously.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-AES805Y-Breakout-Snake-Female/dp/B000068OGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469045232&sr=8-1&keywords=db25+aes+breakout

I had johnjen make me one with just a 2 channel output.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,136 of 3,694

I have an Antelope LiveClock arriving today and want to make sure that I understand the best way to hook it up.

My plan is D16 to Mutec USB(as reclocker) and use the two WCLK BNC outputs of the Antelope as external WCLK inputs for both devices...

Cool. Let us know your thoughts.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,137 of 3,694

Cool. Let us know your thoughts.

Arrived and set up. Easy to connect to the D16. One cable and one mouse click in Rednet Control Panel. The unit is very small and light, about the size of a Mutec. I have a question in to see if I can power it off of the 12V from my HDPlex LPS. It also requires a software app that registers it and makes changes via a USB cable.

I did not hook up the second BNC WCLK cable to my Mutec yet so that is another test. Several possible combinations and permutations of cables and devices here.

I listened to it a bit this evening but under less than ideal conditions so I will let it run in with music overnight before getting serious :)

As an aside, I bid on a Antelope OCX on EBay this week before buying the LiveClock. Luckily someone outbid me as I really was not ready to add one to my second headphone based system. Someone got a good deal at $505. Anyone here get it?

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,138 of 3,694
I almost picked up an OCX HD before someone pointed out the Liveclock is based on the same technology and comes in a smaller foot print. Yes, the HD does  will clock up to 768khz but with the RedNet at 192Khz it's a feature that would likely go unused. Given that the OCX is now discontinued I'm guessing we will continue to see good pricing on these "older" units. Probably a good time to pick up a 10M as well . Hoping you get good results. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #1,139 of 3,694
Still early days, D16 with only 20 hours of listening time on it. I don't power down the unit in between sessions.
snip

In looking back on my notes, the 20 to ≈ 150 hrs were not anywhere near the best that these RedNet boxes can do.
In fact my notes say that my 2-Wyrd setup was better.

Just an observation.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back