AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,096 of 3,694

What I have to say is by people like Rob rb2013 willingness to take chances on trying new gear and posting the results on this site has brought many of us SQ we would have never known
possible with gear not priced in the extreme hi end . I spend time reading posts and reviews before pulling the trigger . I was just about to go with the microrendu after reading this post I changed
my mind and went with the Red Net 3 . I like to watch Youtube  on my big screen TV connected to my Mac Mini HDMI and send the audio to my system . There is more flexibility in a pc solution
In all of the USB to SPDIF conversations the clock was the key to great SQ it makes total sense to apply this approach to the Red Net . Thank you again Rob        

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,097 of 3,694

What I have to say is by people like Rob rb2013 willingness to take chances on trying new gear and posting the results on this site has brought many of us SQ we would have never known
possible with gear not priced in the extreme hi end . I spend time reading posts and reviews before pulling the trigger . I was just about to go with the microrendu after reading this post I changed
my mind and went with the Red Net 3 . I like to watch Youtube  on my big screen TV connected to my Mac Mini HDMI and send the audio to my system . There is more flexibility in a pc solution
In all of the USB to SPDIF conversations the clock was the key to great SQ it makes total sense to apply this approach to the Red Net . Thank you again Rob        

Thanks again for the kind comments.  As a follower of this thread - you know the battles that have gone on  - some industry folks constantly throwing sand in the AOIP tracks - to halt this peasant uprising.  But the SQ speaks for itself - so we all benefit (well maybe not those USB gizmo makers)
biggrin.gif
.  Even just with good old SPDIF/AES
wink_face.gif

So feedback like yours is invaluable. 

I'm hoping to a get a dedicated website/blog of my own up and running this summer - one dedicated to AOIP.  I see the posting action on CA has ground to a halt...not surprised.

This is just the beginning of what will be a major audio force - with much less expensive devices targeted to our needs.  I would love to see a Rednet with just two channels out, Dante in and a DC power source - but with full 192k capabilities and the full Dante/Brooklyn implementation.  I imagine it would be hundreds cheaper then the RN3.

Would be great if Grimm did a simpler 4 output Wclock clock, with DC power as well.

Cheers

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,098 of 3,694

I want to echo a big +1 on your post here!!

Thanks RB, - I can't wait to go down this road when the CFO releases the funding! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,099 of 3,694
I think there is a ripple effect from these threads that's spreading to some of the other forums I peruse, albeit quietly. I certainly plan on spreading the word. It will take a little time though because everything is moving so fast. The microrendu is barely out the gate and it's already 'meh' as far as we're concerned... Same with the LanRover, which isn't even out yet!

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,100 of 3,694
Unless there's some sort of money saving or footprint advantage it'll be pretty tough to beat out a piece of gear being used to record with. Of course there are additions you can make so there's room for improvement but as is vs other ddc units or lan based transports it's a tough unit to out do for the money.

Yes installing has a curve but a little reading and even a call to focusrite will get you sorted out. Their customer service is literally a tech on the phone that knows their stuff who will walk you through settings. By now they should know people who don't know studio jargon are calling in.
I think there is a ripple effect from these threads that's spreading to some of the other forums I peruse, albeit quietly. I certainly plan on spreading the word. It will take a little time though because everything is moving so fast. The microrendu is barely out the gate and it's already 'meh' as far as we're concerned... Same with the LanRover, which isn't even out yet!

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,102 of 3,694
Unless there's some sort of money saving or footprint advantage it'll be pretty tough to beat out a piece of gear being used to record with. Of course there are additions you can make so there's room for improvement but as is vs other ddc units or lan based transports it's a tough unit to out do for the money.

Yes installing has a curve but a little reading and even a call to focusrite will get you sorted out. Their customer service is literally a tech on the phone that knows their stuff who will walk you through settings. By now they should know people who don't know studio jargon are calling in a problem

I purchased my Red Net 3 from Sweetwater I first called Focisrite for some tech assistance . The one problem I had was the Rednet controller
would no recognize the RN3 I was able to get it to play using the Dante controller . I called Sweetwater on Saturday morning there tech logged
on to my computer with a remote application and rectified the problem . Sweetwater is a great Focisrite dealer they know there stuff  

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,104 of 3,694
I didn't know Sweetwater offered remote assistance, that's better than step by step on the phone. I've purchased instruments from them before and the service was top
I purchased my Red Net 3 from Sweetwater I first called Focisrite for some tech assistance . The one problem I had was the Rednet controller
would no recognize the RN3 I was able to get it to play using the Dante controller . I called Sweetwater on Saturday morning there tech logged
on to my computer with a remote application and rectified the problem . Sweetwater is a great Focisrite dealer they know there stuff  
notch.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,105 of 3,694

Do you know what they did exactly?

I have the same problem on both my PC (win10) and my mac mini (El Capitan). Direct connect in both cases.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,106 of 3,694

The security setting on the mac has to be set to open anyway - then he re-downloaded the Red net 3.4 to 3.7 upgrade
   There is instructions on the focisrite down load page as to what version work with each operating system
The support at Sweetwater is great

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,107 of 3,694
After all the talk about clocks the last few days I finally convinced myself  (I'm good at doing that) to try out the Antelope LiveClock for both the RedNet D16 and the Mutec. Looking forward to another candy filled delivery from Sweetwater.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,109 of 3,694
  After all the talk about clocks the last few days I finally convinced myself  (I'm good at doing that) to try out the Antelope LiveClock for both the RedNet D16 and the Mutec. Looking forward to another candy filled delivery from Sweetwater.

I did the same today and also plan to clock my D16 and Mutec USB.

Oops. Just realized that I only bought one BNC word clock cable.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,110 of 3,694
Where do you believe the sonic improvements are coming from in this setup?  From using the Rednet devices?  Or is Dante that much better than DLNA?  Or eliminating USB?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me, as an experiment, I should be able to set up two computers with DVS on it and TOSLINK the one into my DAC while using the other to run iTunes or Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back