AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,111 of 3,694
Probably a combo. After experiencing Dante  I have absolutely no interest in returning to USB. My hunch is that in 3-5 years (if not sooner) AOIP connection will be ubiquitous for high end DAC's. The proliferation of USB "clean up" devices is a pretty good indication that USB is currently sub-optimal for many DAC's.

Having said all that, it is possible that much of the sq benefits I am hearing is DAC (Yggy) dependent. There was someone on the thread who was going to try a RedNet with a Chord Dave. I am very interesting to hear his impressions because he mentioned that USB connection was Dave's best connection (where it is clearly Yggy's worst).

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,112 of 3,694
I would like some feedback on your Antelope live clock implementation . I do not have a Mutec smart clock and would like your impression on just the Antelope without the Mutec and with both clocks
Robs take on the Mutec was it hurt SQ as a world clock in the RN3 loop but helped as a SPDIF re-clocker .Any feedback would be helpful - I don't want to BOAT - short for break out another thousand - a boating lingo . I am so taken back by the results of this combo in my system . This forum is great for the Ear bad for the pocket .         

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,113 of 3,694
My liveclock is expected to arrive from Sweetwater on Friday. I'll play with it over the weekend and likely give my impressions the following week. I've heard mixed things in general on external clocks - everything from they are wonderful, to makes no difference at all to actually degrades sq. I've never tried one personally so I thought the liveclock was worth a shot. What appealed to me was (a) the liveclock uses Antelope's latest technology (b) It's less than $1K (ok - barely) (c) it's relatively small form factor and of course (d) some positive comments about Antelope from fellow RedNet owners. Mutec is coming out with their latest and greatest clock in September and I was going to wait for that but I've heard the price is probably in the $2K-$3K zip code (ouch). I've mentioned a couple of times that I find AOIP and RedNet less "tweak" influenced than my USB set-up. The clock experiment should be interesting.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,114 of 3,694

Having said all that, it is possible that much of the sq benefits I am hearing is DAC (Yggy) dependent. There was someone on the thread who was going to try a RedNet with a Chord Dave. I am very interesting to hear his impressions because he mentioned that USB connection was Dave's best connection (where it is clearly Yggy's worst).

I'll have a Chord Mojo with me at the July 30th Red Hook meet in Seattle, so we might have a chance there to connect it to a Rednet and gather impressions.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,117 of 3,694
Yes, optical isolation referring to the use of FMC between Ethernet. I will conduct further listening tests to verify what I'm hearing. It was pretty simple to notice with my system. The BNC input is how I'm feeding RedNet to 2Qute. It doesn't matter what BNC source I've tried in the past, USB has been it's best input. For the first time, sound through the BNC port with RedNet is better. Introducing the FMC took it up another notch. As I spend time with the system and become more familiar with the sound, I'll bypass certain links in the chain and observe the results.

How's the Rednet v Microrendu comparison going, any updates? TIA

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,118 of 3,694
I was right in the middle of a listening session. The 2Qute has been quite an enigma. So far, I cannot reliably discern any advantage over the other. I'll need to listen more. The 2Qute seems to be indifferent. I'm very perplexed.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,119 of 3,694
I was right in the middle of a listening session. The 2Qute has been quite an enigma. So far, I cannot reliably discern any advantage over the other. I'll need to listen more. The 2Qute seems to be indifferent. I'm very perplexed.

I'm surprised as well as I'm using a Hugo (2Qute's bigger brother) and differences between a USB-based chain and a Rednet-based chain are quite clear.
I must say I always used the SPDIF port of the Hugo (also in the USB-chain) as that was clearly the better port over the USB port.

What is your playback software in the USB-chain? I ask because I know a USB-chain is quite sensitive to the electrical effects that the software player is causing.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,120 of 3,694

How many hrs on the RN3?

JJ

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,122 of 3,694
Still early days, D16 with only 20 hours of listening time on it. I don't power down the unit in between sessions. Roon for playback of Tidal, all audio outputs configured in exclusive mode, fixed volume.

The 2Qute is galvanically isolated on its USB input and seems to be doing its job. I've read that Hugo and Mojo are not GI, because they are battery powered and would impact run time in a portable application. I have the mojo as well but haven't tested it with the D16 yet.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,123 of 3,694

No comparing the RN with the Mutec MC-3+ USB as SPDIF reclocker and/or a OXCO clock like the Antelope as ext Wclock

I have an Antelope LiveClock arriving today and want to make sure that I understand the best way to hook it up.

My plan is D16 to Mutec USB(as reclocker) and use the two WCLK BNC outputs of the Antelope as external WCLK inputs for both devices...

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,124 of 3,694

I have my Antelope Live clock looped into my RN3 world clock this way in RN controller set the clock to external .
I am interested to see if the Mutec makes a difference as a SPDIF re-clocker  with this set up ? Is more better or is less is more ?

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,125 of 3,694
Question for those use to pro gear. Am I able to use a T connector to split the spdif output of my Rednet to send to 2 dacs? Is this a bad and possibly sq-lessening?

Ideally I'd like run 2 dacs simultaneously through the same source connection, 1 of my DACs does not have AES/ebu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back