Audio Grade Fuses
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #737 of 797
I can make you a fuse that's twice as sonically whet

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #741 of 797
Great. Is it mushy or fuzzy sounding? What is made out of?
I dont think it would be too mushy, more like damp topsoil than porridge

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #743 of 797
I have the following question. I have a PS that needs a 1A slow blow fuse. If I used a 6A slow blow fuse- would it affect the sound or only the protection?

I ask- because these fuses cost alot and if I switch components to something that needs more amps rating- I would not need to purchase a new fuse.

For me- I am already protected from surge as I have a superb balanced isolation transformer which protects all my equipment. So my only issue is would it affect the sound to use a much higher rated fuse when a lower rating is suggested.???

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #744 of 797
I have the following question. I have a PS that needs a 1A slow blow fuse. If I used a 6A slow blow fuse- would it affect the sound or only the protection?

I ask- because these fuses cost alot and if I switch components to something that needs more amps rating- I would not need to purchase a new fuse.

For me- I am already protected from surge as I have a superb balanced isolation transformer which protects all my equipment. So my only issue is would it affect the sound to use a much higher rated fuse when a lower rating is suggested.???
Ime higher ratings for fuses in linear power supplies sounds better. What rating comes stock seems rather arbitrary imo. One 3A-5V came with a 0,5A, another 3A-5V came with a 2A fuse. If you dont't run the PS near max capasity and it's cool/ slightly warm too touch i belive it's safe to use higher ratings. Some even use sluggs instead of fuses. Personaly i use 2-3 times higher ratings than stock.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #747 of 797
Any pointer to good dealers in NA for SR Purple fuse would be appreciated

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #748 of 797
Blew my SR Purple fuse for no good reason, second time this has happened, the first being an orange a couple of years ago.
Thought I'd take the opportunity to pull it apart for your perusal. Apologies for the poor quality pics.
1000012378.jpg

1000012379.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #749 of 797
Blew my SR Purple fuse for no good reason, second time this has happened, the first being an orange a couple of years ago.
Thought I'd take the opportunity to pull it apart for your perusal. Apologies for the poor quality pics.
1000012378.jpg
1000012379.jpg
Thanks for sharing and sorry about the expensive loss. It is for this reason that I took a bit of risk and put in far higher amp rating AM M1 fuse in my dac, but a cheaper lower amp rated (3.15A) fuse further upstream (covering a lot more devices). So hopefully the cheap one upstream always blows first. Thankfully, nothing has blown so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back