Audio Grade Fuses
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 797

BIG POPPA

Headphoneus Supremus
Last year shortly after I got my Darkvoice Figaro I replaced the stock fuse with one from ISOCLEAN POWER. I could tell a slight difference, a level of clarity. The Figaro went up in smoke a few months ago and so I have a few cool parts to salvage from it and one is the Isoclean. OK, a couple weeks ago I got a 336se. Did my normal partswapping and installed the Isoclean. Didn't think nothing of it. I bought a HiFi-Tuning Fuses - Small Gold FAST Blow F by Revolution Power and didn't install the fuse. I wanted to make sure I was familiar with the sound of the amp. Settled on the tubes I'm using at the moment so figured was comfortable with the sound. So today I installed the Hi-Fi Tuning fuse. The sound was completely different from what I was used to. It lost a few DB's. I can turn the the volume knob up a little more than previously. Thinking the Isoclean was completly broken in compared to a brand new fuse. The sound was a little laid back but there was sense of a little more clarity with the guitars and cymbals. Vocals are pushed back a bit. Soundstage seems a tad bit smaller. Never thought that there would be such a difference in two gold plated fuses. Who new? Have to try the Rhodium Plated fuse from Furutech now to see if there is a difference? A cheap can of worms to me. Cheaper than some tubes. See what happens after a week or two. Just giving impressions on something that was unexpected but found interesting to me.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 797
Interesting findings Poppa.I haven't tried any of the aftermarket fuses,but a couple of months ago i took out the two fuses on my Teac P-700 transport and cleaned them and the fuse holders with caig deoxit.I then treated the holders with walker sst and popped the fuses back in.I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement,the music sounded more muscular.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 797
Yeah, Caig my stuff too. Big fan of Caig.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 797
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 797
Yeah, but what kind of wire used? Gold plated or Cryo'd
tongue.gif
Everything has a sound signature.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then jumpering the fuse or wiring without fuse should give the best performance.

Absolutely, the less connections the better. But at the risk of blowing up your equipment. It's for the 10% of the population that likes living constantly on the edge.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then jumpering the fuse or wiring without fuse should give the best performance.

You could also have an electrician wire your amp directly to the box. That would get rid of the plug and socket, too.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 797
And how would it sound? Would it sound better? Would it make a big enough difference to tell? Could you tweek it to your liking? I'm all about the tweeks. They shape the sound to make it your own.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 797
You should get rid of your house fuse boxes as well, and replace the cable from your house to the sub station with 99.999999% OFC. Replace the sub station a Audiophile one. Shut down any radio transmitters in the area as that'll interfere with your equipment.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 797
And what will help save your gear in a lightning storm besides that million dollar power conditioning and protection you have connected to your gear? A dumb fuse.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cheap can of worms to me. Cheaper than some tubes. See what happens after a week or two. Just giving impressions on something that was unexpected but found interesting to me.

I too noticed a difference when installing the HiFi Tuning fuse ... I mean, over the cheapo that was in my Havana DAC and Stello amp.

The really crazy thing was that the sound of the DAC changed dramatically when switching the fuse polarity (you know, flipping it around in its receptacle).

HiFi Tuning say to run it in whatever config one enjoys the most and I finally decided one orientation/polarity suited me more than the other and have run it thusly since.

Interesting about the isoclean fuse ... I'll have to get one now.

Thanks for the thoughs.

wink.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 797
You know, you could always rewire your house with Home Depot wire, too. It's the same exact stuff used in certain $16,000 power cords, so it must be of the highest quality. Heck, you could even cryo a couple spools for $20 and slip them into a garden hose to really top it off.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 797
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, you could always rewire your house with Home Depot wire, too. It's the same exact stuff used in certain $16,000 power cords, so it must be of the highest quality. Heck, you could even cryo a couple spools for $20 and slip them into a garden hose to really top it off.

Now. Now. Although fuses being directional does seem a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back