Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Apr 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,402 of 2,441
I will love to try PWD if I ever had a chance.  It is just that I need to clearly here the difference myself, not just by looking at the price ranking or reading other people's posts.   It is just the old habit of being a researcher.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2,403 of 2,441

Quote:
I will love to try PWD if I ever had a chance.  It is just that I need to clearly here the difference myself, not just by looking at the price ranking or reading other people's posts.   It is just the old habit of being a researcher.
biggrin.gif

I've heard the PWD in two systems, but not with my own amp or source so I can't really make a fair comparison.  I would still choose the RE7, which is I why I sold it and have a RE7.1 arriving at the end of the month.  I'm hoping it sounds even better than the RE7, and it's being wired with OCC silver.

I do own other PS Audio equipment though, and really enjoyed the DL3 when I owned it.  Actually, I had a Power Plant Premier (PPP) and it died about a month ago and did major damage to my modified Logitech Transporter, killed a pair of computer speakers, internet router, and cable modem.  PS Audio wouldn't pay for the damages (which are some very expensive repairs) and didn't want to admit fault, so I settled with them on sending me their new PerfectWave P5 Power Plant instead of a repaired PPP which should be arriving on Tuesday.  The difference in price between the PPP and the new P5 is about what my repairs and replacement costs are.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2,404 of 2,441
Thanks for the note and sorry to hear your loss.   Such "accident" does cause lots of damage with high-end gear.  One bad tube caused some arching and damage my T1 driver.  I have to replace a new pair since they need to be perfectly matched.  That really hurts.
mad.gif

Quote:
I've heard the PWD in two systems, but not with my own amp or source so I can't really make a fair comparison.  I would still choose the RE7, which is I why I sold it and have a RE7.1 arriving at the end of the month.  I'm hoping it sounds even better than the RE7, and it's being wired with OCC silver.

I do own other PS Audio equipment though, and really enjoyed the DL3 when I owned it.  Actually, I had a Power Plant Premier (PPP) and it died about a month ago and did major damage to my modified Logitech Transporter, killed a pair of computer speakers, internet router, and cable modem.  PS Audio wouldn't pay for the damages (which are some very expensive repairs) and didn't want to admit fault, so I settled with them on sending me their new PerfectWave P5 Power Plant instead of a repaired PPP which should be arriving on Tuesday.  The difference in price between the PPP and the new P5 is about what my repairs and replacement costs are.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2,405 of 2,441
[size=medium]
Carrawong, I'm a bit surprised by this statement.

So what is best ? Audio GD Reference One or Cambridge Audio 840C ?
Cause CA 840C is not ultra high end product, and is cheaper than Ref1 (and offer CD player functionality) and Ref1 is said to be in match with multi-thousands dollars DACs.
So, needing the latest update for just being at par with 840C is a bit disappointing.
[/size]

Quote:
I realised when I received my V5 board that I wouldn't be able to directly compare it to the V1, except from memory.  However, I could compare my Cambridge 840c again to the upgraded Ref 1, which I did beforehand.  With the V1, there wasn't really a lot of difference between the Ref 1 and the 840c, which was a bit disappointing.  I was still feeling that instruments could sound better than they did, but haven't had any other high-end DAC handy to compare with.  However, with the V5 the increase in naturalness and detail in the Ref 1 is plainly obvious now.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2,406 of 2,441
Ref-1 was sale for $1400 new?  I don't remember.  And CA840C is sale for almost $1600 at amazon now.

I don't have CA so cannot comment on it.  I always thought my Ref-1 with V3 DSP was excellent at least compare to its similar priced DAC.  The only closely priced DAC I heard was DA-10 but it is no comparison at all.  But when I compare my new Ref-7 (w V5) and Ref-1 w V3, I was so surprised with the difference: the soundstage and focusing accuracy was much better and realistic with V5 DSP.  Immediately, I sent out my V3 chip for upgrade.  After upgrade, I actually like Ref-1 w V5 a little bit better.  It sounded more lively.  However, that was before my Ref-7 was fully burn in.

Now I cannot hear significant difference between Ref-1 & Ref-7 (still there is some minor difference but it is more like preference difference). 

I guess I can only rely on other people who have $$ or good opportunity to listen to those "multi-thousand dollar DACs".  And it is now news anymore that DAC1/7 outperform similar priced or more expensive DAC.  If you want more confirmation, just read the Ref-7 thread and project86's review. 

To me, Ref-1/7 sounds very good to me.  And knowing it is better than more expensive DACs just help me to ease any impulse to upgrade my DACs. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Cause CA 840C is not ultra high end product, and is cheaper than Ref1 (and offer CD player functionality) and Ref1 is said to be in match with multi-thousands dollars DACs.
So, needing the latest update for just being at par with 840C is a bit disappointing.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #2,407 of 2,441

I think you mis-read what I wrote. BEFORE the upgrade, I didn't find much difference between it and the 840c. Afterwards, there was a significant improvement. From other peoples' impressions, I gather that Kingwa has considerably improved the digital input circuitry in his designs since then as well, making them less sensitive to the quality of the transport.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2,408 of 2,441
Ok, so If I understand correctly, before the DSP update, the Reference One was not any better than the cheaper CD Player cambridge 840C.
In that case, I do not understand all statements read on this forum that when released Reference One was a top notch DAC. 

Anyway, now Reference 1/7 / PCM1704 is discontinued.
So, I restart my search for a DAC.
Do you think ES9018 are a good replacement for PCM1704 ?

Quote:
Quote:

I think you mis-read what I wrote. BEFORE the upgrade, I didn't find much difference between it and the 840c. Afterwards, there was a significant improvement. From other peoples' impressions, I gather that Kingwa has considerably improved the digital input circuitry in his designs since then as well, making them less sensitive to the quality of the transport.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,409 of 2,441
When I asked Kingwa which he preferred, he said he likes the WM8741 better. The WM8741 has such high measured performance with such a low noise floor and has so many options available for configuration that I think, alongside my experience, that just about everything else will be more important anyway.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #2,410 of 2,441
My roommate recently purchased a ref1 (sounds amazing, btw) and it has a switch on back, that switches in left and right direction - does anyone know what it does? I initially thought it switched from coaxial to bnc input, but it is not the case.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2,411 of 2,441
Funny, I think that may have been mine a couple of years ago- I believe it switches between optical and RCA/BNC. If it was mine, I disconnected the optical input on it (it can be reversed though), so that switch won't do anything in that case.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,412 of 2,441
Tim, that would be really cool coincidence, as I recommended my roommate the ref1 based on hearing your's! I believe the previous owner purchased it from a seller in Illiniois. In any case, there isn't an optical input at all but there is a hole that could have housed it. Both SPDIF and BNC work at same time, irregardless of which side switch is on, so it is a mystery what it does. Hopefully it isn't anything serious, like voltage or something electricial, to leave on "wrong" setting.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #2,414 of 2,441
Just checked now, and yes it does have optical. I believe its your's as the box says "Timothy" on it - what a small world! How can I reconnect optical? My roommate wants to connect his ps3 via optical to it - he's  using a dinky optical to coax adapter right now but direct connection would be better..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back