Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Dec 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #2,371 of 2,441
Beautiful pic. Thanks for posting an update. Definitely jealous of the gear. I have a RE-5 and am going to get an RE-7 in the next week. Well, order one anyway. I really would love to get the RE-7HE. Have inquired as to what exactly is included but no direct answer yet. Apparently its now 2750 rather than the 2430 I saw posted in this thread previously. I will ask for the discount if I go for HE. Thinking to get only ACSS, RCA COAX and BNC COAX as inputs as the DI is a wonderful way to connect USB to the DAC then COAX out. Toslink definitely inferior to COAX when both are compared from my Cambridge Audio 640C.
Thats a pretty gutsy mod on your phones. Congrats on the pickle jars! 
Is the RE-1 really exactly an RE-7 minus the DSP?
Uriah

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2,372 of 2,441
Both the RE-1 and RE-7 utilize the DSP. From what I've read the power supply filtration has changed (cap count and value), the way Kingwa mounted the transistors/regulators, upgrades have also been done to the ACSS modules and a few other things. From what I've read the sound changes aren't hugely different but subtle improvements.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2,373 of 2,441
Hey everyone!  It's been awhile. I have just received my DSP module upgraded with the latest software and I like what I,m hearing so far. The sound is clearer, more upfront, detailed, sharper (less liquid). The 3d soundstage is quite noticeable and interesting to hear on some tracks.
I'm very impressed and satisfied. I always thought that the RE1 with the previous DSP software was a bit weak and not vey dynamic.

Peace to all RE1 owners and big thanks to King Whoa for making this DSP upgrade possible!
My ears could never thank you enough.
L3000.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,374 of 2,441
Yes! Another happy Ref-1 (V5) owner here.  Recently,  I had my own comparison with DLIII and Ref-7.  While Ref-1 sounds very similar to Ref-7 now, I prefer Ref-1 slightly.   And the comparison to DLIII just make me appreciate Ref-1 again.  I guess from time to time, we need some comparison to re-appreciate our gear.

Solid tone throughout the spectrum, vibrant high, sharp imaging, and always smooth sound!

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2,375 of 2,441
And another +1 to the DSP V5 upgrade. All I can say to anyone wondering about the DSP upgrade - definitely worth it! (I was thinking of buying a Ref 7, but will stick with my Ref1 now and wait to see what Kingwa cooks up later this year).

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #2,376 of 2,441
Great to hear all the positive experiences with the v5 upgrade . 

I have ordered and paid for one and now wait for my upgrade .

I am currently using Ref 1 > Phoenix >  Audeze in SE mode and am basking in the glow of the Audeze . 

I find the Phoenix does a good job here with this phone and I get what all the hype is about. 

I am also waiting for a Zeus balanced cable for the Audeze. 

I am planning to experience the change to the V5 and thought of getting familiar with the balanced mode first, then swap to V5 .

I listen to female vocal , acoustic, jazz, light instrumental and some pop/ folk mostly.

I am trying to learn from the experience and grow in the process of understanding my own preferences.

Are there any suggestions for a methodology to compare Ref 1 V1 to V5 .

Thanks 

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2,379 of 2,441
Anything will sound better. We had the Ref 7 with the V1 board in it. We also received the V5 to swap out. Once the V5 was put in, several heard a clear improvement in soundstage, imaging, clarity. It was like the sound was put in focus. IMO

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,380 of 2,441

Quote:
Anything will sound better. We had the Ref 7 with the V1 board in it. We also received the V5 to swap out. Once the V5 was put in, several heard a clear improvement in soundstage, imaging, clarity. It was like the sound was put in focus. IMO

That clear , wow , well that means time to relax and enjoy and not "think" too much .
Very reassuring, thanks.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2,381 of 2,441
I received the V5 board and installation was easy . I got to listen or 2 hrs and here is my email to Audio gd.

Dear Kingwa and Edwin

I have received your V5 DSP upgrade today and installed it. 
It was very well packaged and arrived  safely.

Installing it was very easy.

I let the REF 1 and Phoenix warm up and then sat down to listen .
I  was sceptical and thought it was going to be hard to hear an improvement.

I was not prepared for just how much an improvement it is .
Wonderful, every aspect of the music is clearer and more dynamic, and I have no alcohol on board to cloud my judgement. I listen through Audeze lcd2 single ended and cannot stop listening. 

Thank you for a fantastic affordable upgrade. Live long and prosper. 
Sincerely yours,
Thomas

And Happy Camper, you were right , no time for fuss , just enjoying .
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #2,382 of 2,441

Hi friends!
I have a reference one and I'd like take DPS-1 upgrade (V.5). What I have to do? How much for the upgrade? Is the installation complicated? I am very clumsy with DIY!!!
Thank you very  much. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,383 of 2,441
You´ll need to buy a new DSP-1 board with V5 preloaded. It can be installed without soldering. Just open the chassis (powered off and remove the power cable of course!), take off the four screws holding the DSP-1 and replace it with the new one. That´s all, it´s very simple :) No worries! Kingwa can send you pictures of specifics.

The upgrade is around 150 dollars I think, but I don´t remember precisely, you´ll need to ask Audio-gd for the price.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,385 of 2,441
I suggest before taking off the old DSP board, taking a photo with your cell phone to ensure you don't forget the orientation.  That'll make things a bit easier.  Maybe the most stressful thing is being that it has so many pins, it can require a bit of force to remove, which can be scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back