Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
May 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3,226 of 3,352

Quote:

Being a total novice, it's probably best if I don't attempt the soldering myself then.  Kingwa is trying to work out something for me now to get the capacitors replaced.  Very nice of you and others to assist with the repairs. 

It's kind of funny since Kingwa is halfway around the world from me, but this is so far the most pleasant customer service experience I've had dealing with an electronics company.  Now if only he could make a surround preamp/processor so I wouldn't have to deal with Denon issues anymore.

I'm glad to hear service from Audio GD is good.  That was the only negative I felt dealing with them.  I am using the Phoenix right now as a pre amp for my nice and warm (temperature wise, nice in winter OZ) tube integrated speaker amp...no heat issue from the Phoenix whatsoever.  In winter the audio system acts as a heater, as a pure heater all the time.  It has been rock solid since the day I bought it.  I will never own a pre-amp without a remote - and this Phoenix is here for good to stay.

May 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,228 of 3,352

Quote:
How well does a balanced LCD-2 fuse with a Phoenix amp? Is the sound natural?

I loved the LCD-2's on my setup...so much so that I'm saving my pennies nickles and dimes to buy a pair and bump the HD650's to the computer rig (for good).

Mik...check your PM box.

Peete.

May 30, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #3,229 of 3,352
Glad that you are joining the "ortoheads" Peete.
biggrin.gif

Before you pile up your pennies - do try HE-500 too... It does not have "F1 tech specs" as LCD-2 and require "mo' powa'" than LCD-2, but it is better all-round player (IMO) and it just might suit your tastes better...

May 30, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #3,230 of 3,352

Quote:
Glad that you are joining the "ortoheads" Peete.
biggrin.gif

Before you pile up your pennies - do try HE-500 too... It does not have "F1 tech specs" as LCD-2 and require "mo' powa'" than LCD-2, but it is better all-round player (IMO) and it just might suit your tastes better...

X2,  I tried the HE6 (balanced) and the LCD2 (SE) on the Phoenix and preferred the HE6 by a wide margin. I felt like the HE6 could've possibly benefited from more power, so I'm thinking the HE-500 might be a better match with the Phoenix.

May 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3,231 of 3,352

X2,  I tried the HE6 (balanced) and the LCD2 (SE) on the Phoenix and preferred the HE6 by a wide margin. I felt like the HE6 could've possibly benefited from more power, so I'm thinking the HE-500 might be a better match with the Phoenix.

The HE-6 kinda run on my ROC, if it's any comparison. It's very song dependent though.

May 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3,233 of 3,352

Quote:
Do you not like the sound signature of the LCD-2 powered by the Phoenix? How does it sound? I'm sure a DAC also plays a role in how the cans sound, if you use one.

For me it's signature preference. All things being equal, I like an in your face presentation with dynamics/slam aplenty. To me, the LCD-2 is just more laid back comparitively. That said, I might have probably liked the LCD-2 if I never heard the HE-6.

May 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #3,234 of 3,352
Do you not like the sound signature of the LCD-2 powered by the Phoenix? How does it sound? I'm sure a DAC also plays a role in how the cans sound, if you use one.

If it is of any relevance, I've realized that LCD-2 sound changes substantially with changing Roc's bias voltage (Roc being "baby Phoenix). On and around standard ±15 V, LCD-2 sounds "behind the wall" with HF strips MIA. But if you go under ±12 V - Oh, baby! You start to understand what all those people were raving about those F1 cans. I suspect there should be similar situation with Phoenix, just the voltages may differ a Volt or two.

With phones as LCD-2 and adequately "fast" amp DAC is "stripped" down to its own naked beauty/ugliness.

The HE-6 kinda run on my ROC, if it's any comparison. It's very song dependent though.

Just give a look at power requirements of LCD-2, HE-500 and HE-6 (Volts RMS and power required to reach 90 dB SPL). This says it all.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #3,235 of 3,352
Hello,

Just a little question out of the discussion.
Can someone give to me please the reference of the ALPS switch used in the phoenix ?
I know someone has changed it in this thread, but I don't found the page.
It was a pb of too much oil inside the switch if I remember well.

I have already asked to A-gd, but no answer.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3,236 of 3,352

Quote:
Hello,

Just a little question out of the discussion.
Can someone give to me please the reference of the ALPS switch used in the phoenix ?
I know someone has changed it in this thread, but I don't found the page.
It was a pb of too much oil inside the switch if I remember well.

I have already asked to A-gd, but no answer.

Thanks in advance.

I think you mean the pots used for the source and volume right ? Those are encoders...PM Les Garten for specifics as he has dealt with this before. In the meantime ask Edwin to forward your message to Kingwa (if it is the encoder pots for the source/volume).

Peete.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,237 of 3,352
Hello Peete,

Yes, the post used for source and volume as you say.
There are the same in my C3SE preamplifier and I had the idea to change them to see if one problem of noise could be solved.
But Kingwa told me there was no problem with the pots, but perhaps with the ACSS module !!!
And that the pots are not encoders or potentiometer, but switches. And too much oil is not a problem. I have send a photo to him to be sure whe where talking about the same component.

So, I will PM Les Garten to have the ref and try to read more about the pots.

Thanks for your help.

I let people talk now about headphones
wink_face.gif

Djilbe.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3,238 of 3,352
Mik your amp is fixed.  Check your PM's.

Peete.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3,240 of 3,352

Quote:
Peete, you fixed Mik's Phoenix?

You surely compared it with your MAXX, didn't you?

popcorn.gif

Yes I did FD , the caps that a number of us mentioned previously were the problem (replaced all six with Elna Cerafine and Panasonic FM types).

Just an FYI for the general public these flaky parts were only installed on the first 10 units sold....A-gd caught the mistake early and as a result used better quality parts from that point forward.

I'm still using my upgraded PSU chassis with Mik's stock amp chassis (to cut back on shipping weight/cost for Mik I asked him just to ship the Amp chassis)  so the comparison is a little difficult since 70% of the improvement IIRC came from the Phoenix PSU rebuild. That being said the MAX version is a little more refined,  added detail and depth,  truer tonal qualities, timbre etc all improved over the stock unit. Mind you the differences (at least with the MAX PSU chassis in the mix and the custom cables, ACSS & DC lines) are not immediately apparent.

FD do you remember the test points on the Phoenix for adjusting the + and - Voltage levels in the amp sections ?  I'd like to tinker a bit with the settings (some fine tuning so to speak).

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back