Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Mar 15, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #3,181 of 3,352
I've been tossing up the idea of sacrificing one set of XLR inputs to make them the ACSS inputs instead.  I could, in this case, either swap them with 4-pin XLRs and re-wire, or use 3-pin XLRs as 4 pins aren't necessary and it would allow me to use existing cables.  The problem would be drilling larger holes in the back plate of my Ref 1 if I wanted to do the same with it.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #3,182 of 3,352
If it was me, I would e-mail Kingwa to ask him what would happen if you input an ACSS into a conventional XLR input.  If he says that it wouldn't affect the circuitry by possibility of circuit damage, then I would go with the 3 pin XLR for ACSS, because the time will come when I accidentally plug a modded 3 pin XLR ACSS into a normal XLR input. 

If the ACSS signal can damage a conventional input, I would opt for a four pin XLR, so there is no possibility of any mix ups.

But then again, the new ACSS that are now supplied look like hi-end cables, nice and fat with a tech flex covering, they are very hi end looking now and I am very happy to continue to use the supplied ACSS cables, but it would be nice to try something different to see how the sonics might be perceived differently.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #3,183 of 3,352
Kingwa told me in an email a few weeks or so ago that the new MASTER-1 preamp sounds a little bit better in his opinion than the C3-FV. The reason why both are in production is because the MASTER-1 is a fixed system, and the C3-FV is more modular. The C3-FV can use different modules as tweaks (one for headphones etc).

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3,184 of 3,352

Quote:
If it was me, I would e-mail Kingwa to ask him what would happen if you input an ACSS into a conventional XLR input.  If he says that it wouldn't affect the circuitry by possibility of circuit damage, then I would go with the 3 pin XLR for ACSS, because the time will come when I accidentally plug a modded 3 pin XLR ACSS into a normal XLR input. 

If the ACSS signal can damage a conventional input, I would opt for a four pin XLR, so there is no possibility of any mix ups.

But then again, the new ACSS that are now supplied look like hi-end cables, nice and fat with a tech flex covering, they are very hi end looking now and I am very happy to continue to use the supplied ACSS cables, but it would be nice to try something different to see how the sonics might be perceived differently.

ACSS only uses 3 wires, same as XLR. I don't think a mistake in connecting would damage anything. 3-pin XLR connections would certainly give me more options at the moment.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #3,185 of 3,352
If there is no risk to damage the equiptment by connecting to the wrong socket, I also agree that they should start using 3-pin XLR for ACSS. It´s a fantastic standard and has the best "feel" in my experience.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #3,186 of 3,352

Quote:
ACSS only uses 3 wires, same as XLR. I don't think a mistake in connecting would damage anything. 3-pin XLR connections would certainly give me more options at the moment.

What I meant, was to make sure that if you were to accidentally connect a current output into a voltage input that it wouldn't cause anything to go berserk, like if the headphone was still connected with the volume on by accident.  Otherwise, I agree with you that 3 pin XLR would be perfect.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #3,187 of 3,352

Quote:
Kingwa told me in an email a few weeks or so ago that the new MASTER-1 preamp sounds a little bit better in his opinion than the C3-FV. The reason why both are in production is because the MASTER-1 is a fixed system, and the C3-FV is more modular. The C3-FV can use different modules as tweaks (one for headphones etc).

thanks for the info vrln :D i was hoping someone else had asked him the same question i was thinking

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #3,189 of 3,352
Quote:
so the c3 FV is better than the phoenix as a headphone amp ?

I doubt there would be much difference, probably about the same. Ask Kingwa if you want to know for sure. There are two sure differences though, C3-FV has modules for changing the sound signature, but it also costs more. The Phoenix was supposed to go for $1330 then Kingwa decided to lower it permanently to 1200, so the price gap between C3-FV and phoenix does not mean there is a big difference between the two. Several other of their headphone related products have been similarly discounted, whereas their dac's and speaker amp's that have been discounted go back to regular price soon after. If you don't need acss for speaker amp, go phoenix instead of C3-FV.

And if you want to know why phoenix has no acss output to speaker amp, it's because audio-gd would kill their preamp sales if they did it that way. I can't blame them, they have really been catering to the headphone community with discounts while their non-headphone preamps and speaker amps don't get the same discounts. If you really want acss output on your phoenix though, consider asking audio-gd if they would put acss output on it for extra cost :p.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #3,190 of 3,352
I asked KW about a C-3 witth Headphones out, and whether it would be like the Phoenix.  His answer was no.  The C-3 would have to be modified for the Headamp out and that it would cause a few issues with it as a Preamp.  Nothing that couldn't be surmounted, but that there may be limitations with the C-3 and how it mated up to gear in the future if it was setup as a Headamp.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3,191 of 3,352
I have some of those ACSS. I also got some ACSS connectors from Kingwa and used a variety of wires. I usually found some mild improvements by changing out of this 'stock' cable. But it is rather good in it's own right.

Quote:

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #3,192 of 3,352
When using the remote on the Phoenix and when adjusting volume with it, do you are hear a click through the headphones? The effect is intermittent and barely audible.  Its not even bothersome I am just curious.  Thanks.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #3,193 of 3,352

Quote:
When using the remote on the Phoenix and when adjusting volume with it, do you are hear a click through the headphones? The effect is intermittent and barely audible.  Its not even bothersome I am just curious.  Thanks.

Yeah, happens to mine on some volume settings...didn't seem like a cause for complaint to me as I never heard it as a malfunction.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #3,194 of 3,352
The clicking will go away with use. Run your volume control up and down a couple of dozen times and see if that helps.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3,195 of 3,352

Quote:
The clicking will go away with use. Run your volume control up and down a couple of dozen times and see if that helps.

Thanks, even if it stays it is not a big deal or malfunction to me either though it is nice to get some reassurance.  Off topic, having lived in Tokyo, my thoughts are with the people of Nippon and I am glad you and your family are safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back