Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 24, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,831 of 2,860
yeah there's plenty in the sound science and computer audio forums.  In all honesty though its not really worth wasting time looking into - if you have enough storage space, use high res and/or lossless, if space is a premium and you don't want to buy another hdd, use lossy.  You really don't have anything to gain by using lossy/low res. when there is plenty of storage space on your computer.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #1,832 of 2,860
Mine wasn't exactly thorough but I run my system upscaled to 24/192 through the AGD DI and I was switching between my old FLAC rips of Creedance and the newly released 24/96 files on HDTracks. 

While there really shouldn't have been a difference in these (considering they'd both be at 24/192 via upscaling) there was in fact a difference. Maybe they were different masters, but the 24/96 files felt a little more spacious. 

I then disconnected the DI and plugged straight into my Marantz SA8004 via USB and fiddled with various settings (16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96) while playing those same files and it made a much more noticeable difference. There's definitely something to it but this was a very rough test. I really just set it to 'my ears' I guess, but what else can you do?

Quote:
On another note, has anyone done thorough blind/double blind testing between audio files; namely .flac at 44.1/16, 96/24 and .mpc/.ogg/.aac 44.1/16, 96/24 files at 192kb/s? Many people say that they like to keep their vinyl and tape rips in 96/24 flac files for backup, but If they downsampled the bit depth and sample rate to redbook 44.1/16, surely a noted SQ difference is just placebo...
Any thoughts? Does anyone know of threads relevant to this issue, and if so, please post a link..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,833 of 2,860

Quote:
Those who might be on the fence, If your coming from a soundcard or want an upgrade from a moderate system, I wholly recommend this little beauty
L3000.gif

I hope I don't fall through the floor when I compare this to my friend's Cavalli liquid fire (with 1962 Siemens Halske E88CC 'Holy Grails' tubes and an Alps RK50 Pot)  running his LCD3s (with Aphrodite silver-clad copper cable), all of which are supposed to be unbelievable in their own rights.

Do expect to be completely floor.  You will be jumping up 2 tiers in headphones and 2 tiers an amps.  Not sure what kind of DAC your friend has, but I expect it to be very nice too.  The jump from a 701 to a 1k headphone is a huge jump in itself.  I predict you will be making a new headphone purchase within the next month after trying out your friends setup
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,834 of 2,860
I'm still wondering the difference in sound quality (if any) from Compass>FUN>NFB5>NFB10SE>NFB10, I'm also afraid balanced mode will be way too loud (4X).

So far the only good review I have seen is LiqTenExp comparing it with NFB-12, should be somewhat similar on what to expect.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #1,835 of 2,860

Quote:
I'm still wondering the difference in sound quality (if any) from Compass>FUN>NFB5>NFB10SE>NFB10, I'm also afraid balanced mode will be way too loud (4X).
So far the only good review I have seen is LiqTenExp comparing it with NFB-12, should be somewhat similar on what to expect.

I have the NFB-12 and am flabergasted by the SQ,,  where did you see the liqtenexp comparison ?

The difference looking at the specs is theof the 10SE vs NFB-12 have the relayed attenuator for their acss I/v volume control vs a potentiometer in the nfb-12 and and extra two channels added for balanced out,   along with the conveniance of the lcd/pushbutton user interface.

Also folks disapointed with the WM8805 may want to try spdif attenuators as it looks like the wm8805 is one of the few digital receivers that are sensitive to over spec spdif levels,  the lead mod over at diya said the wm8805 is flat out better performer than the dir9001 when setup right.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #1,837 of 2,860
FWIW, which may not be much, I've been playing a little with the included sample converter in Foobar. I have mostly landed uppon 88.2khz (2x, since 99% of my music is 44.1) as the "best" of the available over-sampling options. That said, I've decided that I prefer not to use it! While certain sounds are noticeably smoother, such as vocals, I also feel that some detail is lost. Particularly on stringed instruments. I realize the included feature in foobar may not be the best, and if there's a better plugin I'd love to know about it and give it a go.

So far though, my feeling is that with 9 different filters to choose from, shouldn't one be "bit-perfect?" I still want to audition one of these things pretty desperately. Anyone who has one anywhere near Western Mass is welcome to PM me!

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,838 of 2,860

Quote:

NFB10SE is an appreciable upgrade to the NFB12 (in balanced mode). Better in about every area.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,839 of 2,860

Quote:
FWIW, which may not be much, I've been playing a little with the included sample converter in Foobar. I have mostly landed uppon 88.2khz (2x, since 99% of my music is 44.1) as the "best" of the available over-sampling options. That said, I've decided that I prefer not to use it! While certain sounds are noticeably smoother, such as vocals, I also feel that some detail is lost. Particularly on stringed instruments. I realize the included feature in foobar may not be the best, and if there's a better plugin I'd love to know about it and give it a go.

So far though, my feeling is that with 9 different filters to choose from, shouldn't one be "bit-perfect?" I still want to audition one of these things pretty desperately. Anyone who has one anywhere near Western Mass is welcome to PM me!

Filters are part of the oversampling there is no such thing a bitperfect at that point,  its not applicable.

For the upsampling you want the SOX foobar plugin,  the standard one is very crude.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #1,840 of 2,860

Quote:

For the LCD-2, the 10SE (even single ended) is a better match than the FUN. It's more resolving and cohesive, controlled and effortless. I didn't think the LCD-2 lacked too much through the FUN until I heard it powered by the Lyr, and subsequently the 10SE.

The FUN though has the added versatility of opamp/hdam rolling and I miss the synergy it had with the HD650 when dialed in to my preferred signature.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #1,842 of 2,860
Because the LCD-2 isn't my main headphone. The HD650 is.

Edit: I stand by my previous impressions of the 10SE's capabilities. I find the analogue section excellent compared to amps I've had on hand at the same time (FUN and Lyr). The dac section is the most resolving I've heard and great recordings are portrayed accordingly. Lesser recordings don't fare as well, particularly through the HD650.

Is the 10SE the best thing you can patch the LCD-2 into? I don't think anyone's ever made that claim. Is there a "better" and more versatile system for the LCD-2 at this price point (outside of diy)? Not sure, but if there is I would expect that system to be talked about ad nauseam on this forum.

If I part with the 10SE it'll either be to scale it all back to a very modest HD650 rig, or to take the step to the next tier. I suspect the latter may only yield worthwhile improvements at substantial expense.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,843 of 2,860
Can someone tell me the difference between the NFB-10SE and NFB-10WM? It just seems the WM is slightly more powerful (but could be useful for planar headphones like the HE-6) but costs almost $300 more!

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #1,845 of 2,860
Quote:
Can someone tell me the difference between the NFB-10SE and NFB-10WM? It just seems the WM is slightly more powerful (but could be useful for planar headphones like the HE-6) but costs almost $300 more!

The WM is the older version of the SE.  With the SE Kingwa brought the price down, added a motherboard and digital volume control & gathered his minions for some side-by-side testing -- very few could hear a difference between the two according to him, and a few preferred the SE while a few the WM.  It is my opinion, based on multiple auditions, that an overkill power-amp works best with HE-6 so...I'm not sure what the WM is good for if it does sound similar to the SE...perhaps they are simply waiting for inventory to sell out before they move it to the discontinued list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back