Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,801 of 2,860
I must say I'm impressed with Audio-GD's customer service and shipping times so far. I ordered the NFB-10SE last Thursday and it arrived today (5 days later). On top of that, I've been sending emails back and forth with both Sai and Kingwa and they've been very helpful with all of my questions. Cannot wait to plug this bad boy in.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,802 of 2,860
Quote:
I must say I'm impressed with Audio-GD's customer service and shipping times so far. I ordered the NFB-10SE last Thursday and it arrived today (5 days later). On top of that, I've been sending emails back and forth with both Sai and Kingwa and they've been very helpful with all of my questions. Cannot wait to plug this bad boy in.

Congrats.  I assume you went with DHL shipping to get it that fast?  Did they get your for any duty or fees?

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,803 of 2,860

Quote:
Congrats.  I assume you went with DHL shipping to get it that fast?  Did they get your for any duty or fees?

Yes to DHL shipping, and No to duties or fees. I'm quite smitten that it came this fast. I ordered a couple of dog collars two days before the 10SE that shipped from Texas, and that still hasn't arrived yet. 

I got mine with the -7dB low gain, so I'm hoping this was a good decision considering most of my headphones are fairly sensitive (Grados, Ultrasones). I spoke to Kingwa about how hard it would be to switch it to stock 0dB low gain value and he said I'd just have to change out 4 resistors on the PCB, so it's comforting to know that it won't be too hard to change if I end up hating it (which I seriously doubt). 

Something that I'm struggling with right now is how to go about converting my headphones to balanced. Most of my headphones are single-entry (K701, Pro 900, T50RP), so I'd probably have to drill into the second earcup and whatnot, which seems to be much more risky than I'm willing to get so we'll see. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,804 of 2,860
Quote:
Yes to DHL shipping, and No to duties or fees. I'm quite smitten that it came this fast. I ordered a couple of dog collars two days before the 10SE that shipped from Texas, and that still hasn't arrived yet. 

I got mine with the -7dB low gain, so I'm hoping this was a good decision considering most of my headphones are fairly sensitive (Grados, Ultrasones). I spoke to Kingwa about how hard it would be to switch it to stock 0dB low gain value and he said I'd just have to change out 4 resistors on the PCB, so it's comforting to know that it won't be too hard to change if I end up hating it (which I seriously doubt). 

Something that I'm struggling with right now is how to go about converting my headphones to balanced. Most of my headphones are single-entry (K701, Pro 900, T50RP), so I'd probably have to drill into the second earcup and whatnot, which seems to be much more risky than I'm willing to get so we'll see. 

Thanks for answering my questions.

I sent my PayPal to Kingwa this morning and opted for DHL shipping based on the responses in this thread about duty/fees.  I asked for -8dB low gain, but apparently due to component tolerances they can't do -8dB and they will do -7dB instead.  I also asked for DIR9001 instead of WM8805.  I don't plan to turn any of my existing headphones to balanced.  I will very likely be buying HiFiMAN HE-500's in the next few days and those I plan to convert to balanced.  They have 4 wires out of the gate so they should be easy to convert.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,805 of 2,860
Doesnt the HE500 include a balanced cable now? It didn't when I bought first run but most of what I've seen lately is balanced and SE included.

Quote:

Thanks for answering my questions.

I sent my PayPal to Kingwa this morning and opted for DHL shipping based on the responses in this thread about duty/fees.  I asked for -8dB low gain, but apparently due to component tolerances they can't do -8dB and they will do -7dB instead.  I also asked for DIR9001 instead of WM8805.  I don't plan to turn any of my existing headphones to balanced.  I will very likely be buying HiFiMAN HE-500's in the next few days and those I plan to convert to balanced.  They have 4 wires out of the gate so they should be easy to convert.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #1,809 of 2,860
No need to speak tech at me. It was an easier way to say...

I think the HE500 comes with a 4 Pin XLR terminated cable now as well as one with a 1/4" termination.

I know how it works, but I forgot I was on Head-fi I guess... 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Thanks for correcting me though as the point must not have gotten across the first time.

Quote:
There's no such thing as a balanced headphone cable. The balance cable is between the source output and the amplifier's input.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,811 of 2,860
I ordered my 10SE last week wednesday, it shipped friday, and arrived today. I also used DHL and did not have to pay duties. Considering I was fully ready to wait over a week, this was impressive.

With the -7dB adjustment, I am using my HD650s single ended at 35 volume.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,813 of 2,860
That's it. I'm never being a guinea pig ever again. 

10SE comes with a remote now, the HE500 comes with better cable now. Rage.

EDIT: And the 10SE sure as heck ships a lot faster now, too.

Quote:
Comes with a remote now.  That's nice to see on a cheaper piece of gear.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,815 of 2,860

Quote:
That's it. I'm never being a guinea pig ever again. 

10SE comes with a remote now, the HE500 comes with better cable now. Rage.

EDIT: And the 10SE sure as heck ships a lot faster now, too.

Quote:
Comes with a remote now.  That's nice to see on a cheaper piece of gear.

Yep, the remote would be nice to have. I need to show more restraint in future as well.

I feel Kingwa isn't quiet there yet with the 10SE. Someone mentioned more filters that can be unlocked and I suspect that may solve some of the issues I have with the dac's (dry) presentation of certain recordings. Optical (as opposed to usb) and software upsampling to 24/96 alleviates it somewhat but I don't think I can live with it. John Darko's review of the DI sounds like it may be a solution, though it may be less of a headache to move on and look for better synergy (with the HD650) elsewhere.

It's a shame because the 10SE packs so much for so little. The amp is outstanding. If only it had rca inputs to isolate that analogue section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back