Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,846 of 2,860
The WM had digital volume too, it just wasn't push button.  It had a nicer and much heavier case.  The SE is newer, lighter, different parts and more automated fabrication.  Probably not much of a reason to get a WM these days unless you want that form factor or a dial volume knob (which I think is infinitely better).

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,847 of 2,860

Quote:
Filters are part of the oversampling there is no such thing a bitperfect at that point,  its not applicable.

For the upsampling you want the SOX foobar plugin,  the standard one is very crude.

I realize that over sampling is not bit perfect. That's why I'm saying with so many options, I'm surprised bit perfect isn't one.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll certainly give SOX a try when I get home! Maybe my outlook on filter options will change. :wink:

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,849 of 2,860
I really want to try the 600 and 650 again when I get my system settled and compare to my LCD 2. I very curious to hear them again. I remember the LCD 2 being a noticeable cut above, but that was under meet conditions.

Quote:
Quote:

Aw yeah.  Tell 'em olor1n.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,850 of 2,860

Quote:
The WM had digital volume too, it just wasn't push button.  It had a nicer and much heavier case.  The SE is newer, lighter, different parts and more automated fabrication.  Probably not much of a reason to get a WM these days unless you want that form factor or a dial volume knob (which I think is infinitely better).

The NFB10SE doesn't have traditional digital volume control,  it is using a digital interface to switch the ACSS I/V ladder resistors to various levels,  this is arguably much better than digital volume control (no dither, resolution loss or risk of lossing the LSB's).   The NFB-12 does the same only sans the digital interface,  instead a potentiometer is doing the work.  IMHO this is the one of the biggest upgrades the 10SE offers over the nfb-12 for non-balanced headphone users,  and I suspect it is quite a big one.  This sort of volume control is flat out brilliant and unheard of in a component of this price. 

A traditional DAC + Amp using a volume pot to attenuate the dac results in one hearing different % of DAC vs Amp signature (trying to keep it simple here) at the output to their headphones.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #1,851 of 2,860
Just made my order of NFB-10SE to KingWa.

Wish i could receive it asap! Can't wait to see the couple of LCD2-r2 with 10SE.

HuuuRayy!! 
L3000.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #1,852 of 2,860
I am considering buying this dac/amp combo to drive a few of my balance cans in the office. The main thing holding me back are pictures that show the soldering in older audio-gd gear, these pictures do no show very good soldering and I am wondering if audio-gd has improved their soldering skills. Is anyone aware if their soldering skills have improved? Thanks.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #1,856 of 2,860

Quote:
I am considering buying this dac/amp combo to drive a few of my balance cans in the office. The main thing holding me back are pictures that show the soldering in older audio-gd gear, these pictures do no show very good soldering and I am wondering if audio-gd has improved their soldering skills. Is anyone aware if their soldering skills have improved? Thanks.

I ever read an electrics repair report from China years ago.
Around 85% problems are the bad soldering.
So I always asked workers must have good soldering.
Not nice for look and view, but must solidity.
Most our gears are working on class A model, The gear will heat while working and cold while shut down.
The tin will dwindle while warm and swell while cold,  IMO, with the neat and thin soldering  good for look but easy rupture cause the problems.
So I want solidity solder, more tin applied, rather than good view, neat and thin tin.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,860 of 2,860
That's about what people say, I'm in the camp that think audio-gd gear sound at their best after 1000 hours. Imo new gear may sound a little thick and not as dynamic or accurate, but it's fun to listen to if you aren't bothered by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back