Audio-GD DI-20
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #5,176 of 5,351
I have it😅

I don’t like optical audio in any form. My username says so to👍👍🤣

The signal will stay on OFC/OCC Copper all the way. Only use hybrid on headphone…

Reason I never liked optical:
I don’t like locking the sonics, I need to experiment with different cables and bridges to shape a certain soundsignature on R1N.

Optical can never get to the level of texture I get with Pink Faun I2S Bridge and I2S cable. Drums and bass is soo authentic and 1:1 real sounding, I would not care 1% about the technicalities an optical cable has to offer…

For this reason I am awaiting the SPDIF board to see how DI20HE will accept it.

DATA/Audio stays on copper

—-

Only place I have optical is the ISP/FMC which I am trying to find a solution for to improve.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #5,177 of 5,351
Yep, I made my own USB cable with no 5V line and it works fine.
The only wires to solder is 3

2 DATA and 1 for the Ground?

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #5,179 of 5,351
This I think, uses one of the next gen ADUM USB isolators you were referring, correct?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006310871894.html

Screenshot_20240206_220615_AliExpress.jpg
Yes, nice finding. The same family of chips. 3166 is a minor variation of 3165. A higher breakdown voltage with 4165/6 parts having a bigger gap between pins, there are identical otherwise. This version is only required to pass medical compliance tests.

This page is incomplete, they don't specify whether it can work without external power supply, but it looks like, as there is isolation power converter (a rectangular black box on the photo).

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #5,180 of 5,351
I have it😅

I don’t like optical audio in any form. My username says so to👍👍🤣

The signal will stay on OFC/OCC Copper all the way. Only use hybrid on headphone…

Reason I never liked optical:
I don’t like locking the sonics, I need to experiment with different cables and bridges to shape a certain soundsignature on R1N.

Optical can never get to the level of texture I get with Pink Faun I2S Bridge and I2S cable. Drums and bass is soo authentic and 1:1 real sounding, I would not care 1% about the technicalities an optical cable has to offer…

For this reason I am awaiting the SPDIF board to see how DI20HE will accept it.

DATA/Audio stays on copper

—-

Only place I have optical is the ISP/FMC which I am trying to find a solution for to improve.
I tried optical several times in my network- and do NOT like it there. I cant explain why. The USB Alpha Fibbre with my PSU which has .02uv ripple blows away any USB cable I have tried to an enormous degree and I have tried multi thousand dolar USB cables. The sound is so so so clean, so so so precise, truly as they say "is if a veil has lifted" copmared to anything else I have ever tried. I actually find the tone darker than anything else I ever heard. Least Bright USB cable I ever heard... The PSU makes a huge difference. Not only is my PSU .02uv ripple, but I put a SR Master Fuse in it- and it makes the USB cable so so good that in comparison to connecting this same USB cable to the DI0-24HE and then DI-24 HE to the dac by HDMI, the difference is only subtly better. WOuld you sell your Fibber USB cable to me? I would like an extra.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #5,181 of 5,351
I tried optical several times in my network- and do NOT like it there. I cant explain why. The USB Alpha Fibbre with my PSU which has .02uv ripple blows away any USB cable I have tried to an enormous degree and I have tried multi thousand dolar USB cables. The sound is so so so clean, so so so precise, truly as they say "is if a veil has lifted" copmared to anything else I have ever tried. I actually find the tone darker than anything else I ever heard. Least Bright USB cable I ever heard... The PSU makes a huge difference. Not only is my PSU .02uv ripple, but I put a SR Master Fuse in it- and it makes the USB cable so so good that in comparison to connecting this same USB cable to the DI0-24HE and then DI-24 HE to the dac by HDMI, the difference is only subtly better.
I can get that with cheap usb cable and Matrix SPDIF3. It beats it out of the water in technicalities.

EDIT: I regret selling it. The performance upgrade to R1N made it perform at deltasigma level. It was a fun ddc,
However it was a locked sound/sonics.

Thats the problem with optics usb also, the conversion to lights sucks. It becomes static/locked in the stereo image

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #5,182 of 5,351
I tried optical several times in my network- and do NOT like it there. I cant explain why. The USB Alpha Fibbre with my PSU which has .02uv ripple blows away any USB cable I have tried to an enormous degree and I have tried multi thousand dolar USB cables. The sound is so so so clean, so so so precise, truly as they say "is if a veil has lifted" copmared to anything else I have ever tried. I actually find the tone darker than anything else I ever heard. Least Bright USB cable I ever heard... The PSU makes a huge difference. Not only is my PSU .02uv ripple, but I put a SR Master Fuse in it- and it makes the USB cable so so good that in comparison to connecting this same USB cable to the DI0-24HE and then DI-24 HE to the dac by HDMI, the difference is only subtly better. WOuld you sell your Fibber USB cable to me? I would like an extra.
The brand Lindy makes also several clever usb > optical > usb devices. Would be interesting to test them some time.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #5,183 of 5,351
The brand Lindy makes also several clever usb > optical > usb devices. Would be interesting to test them some time.
I have something similar (actually 2 boxes with fiber in between) from Aliexpress, with 9V DC input. Best USB ever.
Was looking for a link, but seems to be discontinued. Here is a pic.
1707241862375.png

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #5,185 of 5,351
Have you compared it to expansive audiophile usb cables?

With these two boxes you need two USB cables and I noticed that the quality of the latter still makes a difference.
However in all cases the USB > fiber > USB setup beats the single USB cable.
I have tried Phasure Lush^2 and Xangsane 4N sterling silver USB cables (both very good cables -- I am not impressed by price alone), as single cable well as two of the same brand with fiber isolation.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #5,186 of 5,351
Deleted/off topic

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #5,187 of 5,351
Thats the problem with optics usb also, the conversion to lights sucks. It becomes static/locked in the stereo image
My ears IMHO respectfully disagree. Nothing compares to my Fibber optic usb cable. The tonal color is the most vivid I ever heard. I respect your opinion. This is what headfi is for...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #5,189 of 5,351
Uptone Audio has a USB connector which is around 1-2 inches long. It is the second best usb cable I ever heard- but it is short- and very limited due to that.

By the way- Uptone audio recommended the Alpha USB fiber cable I use. They say the isolation chip they use is the best in the world.- or at least the said that a year ago.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #5,190 of 5,351
Anyone know how to swap LR on AES output on DI20HE?

Does anybody have pin layout for AES? - on Audio-gd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back