Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 8, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #5,206 of 5,348
Good evening everyone,

I adquired a DI-20 from a fellow headfier and I wonder if you'd recommend to upgrade firmware just in case it is not already upgraded and if it is worth it!

So far it is getting warm and waking up but the sound out of it I like already but cannot say much differences compared to Pontus directly

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #5,207 of 5,348
Good evening everyone,

I adquired a DI-20 from a fellow headfier and I wonder if you'd recommend to upgrade firmware just in case it is not already upgraded and if it is worth it!

So far it is getting warm and waking up but the sound out of it I like already but cannot say much differences compared to Pontus directly
It's a different presentation on each firmware, it's not an upgrade so to say as with other products firmware rather it's a matter of taste.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #5,208 of 5,348
It's a different presentation on each firmware, it's not an upgrade so to say as with other products firmware rather it's a matter of taste.
Extremely interesting, thank you very much

Denafrips has similar thing with their firms, I love such thing

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #5,209 of 5,348
Extremely interesting, thank you very much

Denafrips has similar thing with their firms, I love such thing
I think the latest firmware is the most neutral. One of the older ones was a bit over blown in the bass.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #5,210 of 5,348
Before searching for a firmware... What is your music source and type of connection?

Asking, as in the case of USB connection DI-20 depends on asynchronous transfers which is not adding jitter, so there is no reclocking on the USB port, while Pontus always does. It makes Pontus more robust in a rare case when USB host drops to some older transfer mode. It is why with DI-20 there is reservation of using USB jitter killer devices, not all are transparent to the USB protocol.

Do you use standard HDMI cable? Some others will advise good cable.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #5,211 of 5,348
Before searching for a firmware... What is your music source and type of connection?

Asking, as in the case of USB connection DI-20 depends on asynchronous transfers which is not adding jitter, so there is no reclocking on the USB port, while Pontus always does. It makes Pontus more robust in a rare case when USB host drops to some older transfer mode. It is why with DI-20 there is reservation of using USB jitter killer devices, not all are transparent to the USB protocol.

Do you use standard HDMI cable? Some others will advise good cable.
My actual connection is latest laptop model connected to Furman AC-210 power conditioner using USB AQ Carbon to DDC, then AQ Vodka HDMI I2S to Pontus 2

I had a JTAG programmer just in case Pontus would brick by changing firms so I guess I'm ready to try new firms with DI-20

I think the latest firmware is the most neutral. One of the older ones was a bit over blown in the bass.
Indeed, my HE6SE V2 modded had subwoofer like bass and now I can feel it bigger but not bloated in any sense and I kinda like it haha, D8KP I haven't tried yet but will probably be amazing with it

Thank you guys

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #5,212 of 5,348
My actual connection is latest laptop model connected to Furman AC-210 power conditioner using USB AQ Carbon to DDC, then AQ Vodka HDMI I2S to Pontus 2
If running latest Windows, check if any difference in sound with drivers installed and in a pure UAC2.0 mode (without Amanero drivers installed - it needs to be uninstalled from Control Panel). Also compare with ASIO output. It should not be heard any difference.

I can't comment on these cables, they must be expensive. :) Is the only laptop powered from the Furman?

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #5,213 of 5,348
If running latest Windows, check if any difference in sound with drivers installed and in a pure UAC2.0 mode (without Amanero drivers installed - it needs to be uninstalled from Control Panel). Also compare with ASIO output. It should not be heard any difference.

I can't comment on these cables, they must be expensive. :) Is the only laptop powered from the Furman?
I must say default drivers were making pops and clicks then I installed the right drivers but before I fully deleted own W11 drivers and it got fixed and I get this audio icon instead of the typical speaker one. Everything goes thru the Furman but the amplifiers and everything has ground connection

I use WASAPI as I need Peace APO to get the best out of the HPs :D

1709935922621.png

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #5,214 of 5,348
I must say default drivers were making pops and clicks then I installed the right drivers but before I fully deleted own W11 drivers and it got fixed and I get this audio icon instead of the typical speaker one.
Yes, I see from the screenshot, Amanero is recognised, but whether interface is running in UAC2.0 compatibility mode is unknown. Pontus name on the top indicate that you are using Thesycon drivers that came with Pontus. These are not default Windows drivers, it had to be uninstalled as you say. Before you uninstalled Windows built-in drivers it had to be clash between built-in drivers and Thesycon drivers which were installed previously for Pontus.

A proper action would be unpluging DI-20, then unistalling Thesycon drivers from the Control Panel and then run Windows update to restore original drivers. After finishing the update, reboot Windows then plug-in DI-20 and see whether is recognised (without Pontus name on the top).

I can't say for sure it will play without popups, it could be other issue. In such case I suggest to unplug DI-20 and run Amanero installer. Only connect DI-20 when installation is complete. This is a standard procedure required to create proper assotiations in registry. If everything is done properly, DI-20 will be recognised as an "Amanero ... Digital Interface". I highlighted a difference in the name.

Everything goes thru the Furman but the amplifiers and everything has ground connection
Perfect! :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #5,215 of 5,348
Yes, I see from the screenshot, Amanero is recognised, but whether interface is running in UAC2.0 compatibility mode is unknown. Pontus name on the top indicate that you are using Thesycon drivers that came with Pontus. These are not default Windows drivers, it had to be uninstalled as you say. Before you uninstalled Windows built-in drivers it had to be clash between built-in drivers and Thesycon drivers which were installed previously for Pontus.

A proper action would be unpluging DI-20, then unistalling Thesycon drivers from the Control Panel and then run Windows update to restore original drivers. After finishing the update, reboot Windows then plug-in DI-20 and see whether is recognised (without Pontus name on the top).

I can't say for sure it will play without popups, it could be other issue. In such case I suggest to unplug DI-20 and run Amanero installer. Only connect DI-20 when installation is complete. This is a standard procedure required to create proper assotiations in registry. If everything is done properly, DI-20 will be recognised as an "Amanero ... Digital Interface". I highlighted a difference in the name.

Perfect! :)
Yes!!! I changed the original name of the digital interface to Pontus so I find it easily everywhere haha and my W11 is custom version called Ghost Spectre without firewall and many crap things like having to enter in special mode to install unsigned drivers

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it and also I have noticed improvement already in sound like for real I didn't expect this as I had Iris and sold it for noticing 0 differences at all but this is totally different, whatever it does it does great as I really like it

Have tried songs I absolutely memorized in every part and I'm pretty sure there is more separation, more realistic instrument placement along the soundstage and respecting the analog sounding nature of Pontus on its 1.0 OG firmware

I should have pulled the trigger with DI-24HE haha

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #5,216 of 5,348
Yes!!! I changed the original name of the digital interface to Pontus so I find it easily everywhere haha
Wow! You are winning. :)

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #5,218 of 5,348
Edit: I bought V2 blaster just in case the cheap one I have is not compatible with Cyclone IV
Edit 2: Waveshare electronic's USB Blaster is working to perfection, THANKS

I wonder if anyone could solve the "cannot access the JTAG chain" with USB Blaster rev. C it is driving me crazy and even installed W7 VM and still

Maybe this requires blaster II or a different jtag programmer?? I'm using Quartus 13

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #5,219 of 5,348
My friend told me about this problem on DI20HE but I never gave it a thought because I never used AES.

He told me that DI20HE has an issue with AES. It just decides to swap channels on AES output.

I had a problem with my AES cable and my DI20HE.
Anything above 16/44.1 refused to play whether Qobuz or files; just produced a hiss.
Was an Audience AU24SX.

Have since switched to I2S with no troubles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back