audio-gd C-2 Class A
Jan 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #76 of 141
I was wondering if anyone who own this amp can provide a brief update on their impressions? Are you still liking it?

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #78 of 141
I've had the amp for a few months now, and continue to love its synergy with the LCD-X.  As I posted in my earlier impressions, the C-2 gives the X very clean, black background musicality.  

Also mentioned, the C-2 doesn't IMO pair ideally with the HD-800, which is fine for me, since I use that can with my vintage McIntosh receivers.  

I haven't yet opened up the case to mess around with the C-2's jumpers, just enjoying the sound as is.  

I personally still recommend the amp with no reservations, other than to just be aware of potential "better synergies" that exist for the HD-800.  My continuously wandering ear/eye still joneses for the Taurus / GSR / MHA for the Senn, given the relatively high noise floor of the vintage Mac amps, but I'm more than content enough to stick with it for at least the next few months.  :wink:

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #79 of 141
I hope Audio-gd will bring the SA31SE back...
It is such a unique and great amp and I absolutely love it with all my headphones.
Going by C-2's SQ impressions, the SA31SE has a similar sound in many ways [transparent yet musical, black background, clean power] but with a hint of warmness on top, making it a good match with even more headphones [even the HD800 from reports]. I love it with my HE-560 and it has power aplenty for it.
It was no doubt a solid offering... I wish people could compare these two.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #80 of 141
I hope Audio-gd will bring the SA31SE back...
It is such a unique and great amp and I absolutely love it with all my headphones.
Going by C-2's SQ impressions, the SA31SE has a similar sound in many ways [transparent yet musical, black background, clean power] but with a hint of warmness on top, making it a good match with even more headphones [even the HD800 from reports]. I love it with my HE-560 and it has power aplenty for it.
It was no doubt a solid offering... I wish people could compare these two.

Thanks for the post and the pictures. It is too bad one cannot buy this anymore. Have you heard the C-2 as well?

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #81 of 141
Thanks for the post and the pictures. It is too bad one cannot buy this anymore. Have you heard the C-2 as well?

I unfortunately haven't heard the C-2, but given the opportunity, I'd love to.
The SA31SE can still be bought from some distributors who have it in stock [Audiophonics, etc.] and I saw a few in the for sale forums.
Still, I don't understand why it was discontinued in the first place. I believe all who bought it quite like it [save for the random guy that doesn't
biggrin.gif
]

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #82 of 141
I unfortunately haven't heard the C-2, but given the opportunity, I'd love to.
The SA31SE can still be bought from some distributors who have it in stock [Audiophonics, etc.] and I saw a few in the for sale forums.
Still, I don't understand why it was discontinued in the first place. I believe all who bought it quite like it [save for the random guy that doesn't :D ]

I know what you mean. It is annoying when outstanding pieces of workmanship are discontinued.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #83 of 141
So quick update, I finally popped the hood and inserted the "gain" jumpers.  Kingwa had already installed the two sets of "warm" jumpers, and as I definitely do not want the amp to be less warm, I left those as is.

Per the manual -
"Setting the C-2 have 19DB gain :
Default the C-2  had 10DB gain, it is enough for most headphones . If the sources had low voltage level output or the headphone had had very low sensitivity, user can push into 2 pcs jumpers in the C-2 to boost the gain up to 19DB"

With jumpers in, there is an audible difference, not massive, but there.  There's more push, a little more umph, thankfully not at the expense of refinement or background noise when using the LCD-X or Senn HD-800.  

This is a very tight musical amp.  After having owned it for a few months now, the differences between it and my McIntosh vintage amps are pretty stark.  The C-2's bass hits medium hard and fades quickly.  Vocals are clear, musical, focused.  

The Mac amps have bass galore, it's very hard hitting, deep, but not at all messy.  Vocals are lusher.  

All that said, I also inserted a McIntosh C42 preamp after my Chord Hugo and before the C-2, and things obviously got more complicated.  Because there are now so many variables, given the multistage audio chain, it's... hard to talk about "this did that" to the sound.  

I can say, it just all sounds very good, I'm very happy.  The C-2 isn't by any means a weak link, but rather just demonstrated its own distinct attributes: clean, black, solid musical power.  

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #84 of 141
I've been looking at the nfb-29 and the C2 lately. Would use my nfb15 as the DAC to the C2, but the built in sabre DAC in the nfb-29 is very attractive. I loved the sound from oppo HA-1 straight out of the single ended output, hence my interest in these audio gd products. Has anybody heard both and can compare/share impressions? Especially with he500

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #87 of 141
I've been looking at the nfb-29 and the C2 lately. Would use my nfb15 as the DAC to the C2, but the built in sabre DAC in the nfb-29 is very attractive. I loved the sound from oppo HA-1 straight out of the single ended output, hence my interest in these audio gd products. Has anybody heard both and can compare/share impressions? Especially with he500

What did you end up deciding to do?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #88 of 141
It's a relatively new amp, and most people looking at A-GD gear seem to get the combined units. Just my thoughts. I don't think there's been any major reviews of the C-2, either.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #89 of 141
So I just got this amp and will be pairing it with my HE560. I'll post impressions for sure but I have a good feeling about it.

In the mean time does anyone know if the 3-pin mini-XLR input is just that, a mini-XLR input? Audio-GD has it marked as ACSS input on their website but I have no idea what that is even when reading their explanation ACSS is.. Can someone shine some light on that aspect? Can I plug in my Yulong D100 to it via XLR line out to mini XLR on the back of the C-2 or is ACSS something else?

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #90 of 141
It's a transmission in the current domain, not voltage like most amps work. So, no, I don't think that is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back