audio-gd C-2 Class A
Oct 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #47 of 141
You know, I had looked at the dimensions for this amp but seeing it in your pic makes one realize just how deep it really is.  Now you need some more AGD gear to match up with it (even though you have the Hugo).

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #48 of 141
The length of the C2 Class A is the sole reason I could not buy the amp. It is 360mm long and one have to reserve another 80mm behind for cables. The C2 Class A outlook is low key enough not to draw my wife's attention nagging for new gear purchase, but having to buy a new cabinet is just too obvious.

Looking at the picture, audio-gd can sure reduce the case length by at least 30-40mm by placing the input sockets over the circuit board.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #49 of 141
Using the same case as some of his other products helps keep the cost down though.  Cases are one of the highest single costs in a piece of audio gear. 

Now this part is pure speculation of my own but this case is not as packed as some others in the AGD line-up.  Granted, there's no DAC in there but I wonder if things need more breathing room because the amp is running in Class A, thereby generating more heat.  Who knows, except for Kingwa himself.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #50 of 141
I'm really considering this amp to replace my Lyr. I'm learning to appreciate SS sound more as I continue through this journey. So the XLR output is just there because it's part of the case? 

I know that this would be a nice pairing with my HE-500s, but how do you think it would sound with a higher impedance can like the HD-650? 

Also, thanks for posting your impressions on the mini-X. Many people said they thought it was the best pairing with the HE-500s, and it seems that hype sort of just died down. I almost bought one and am sort of glad I never did. 

Thank you!

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #51 of 141
I'm really considering this amp to replace my Lyr. I'm learning to appreciate SS sound more as I continue through this journey. So the XLR output is just there because it's part of the case? 

I know that this would be a nice pairing with my HE-500s, but how do you think it would sound with a higher impedance can like the HD-650? 

Yep, the C-2's XLR output is single ended.  I appreciate it being there, as I use my only XLR - TRS adapter with my other headphones.

It's been years since I've heard the HD-650, it'd be hard to say if the C-2 would have sufficient punch for it.  But to me, it's more a matter of amp/can synergy.  My Mac amps have more than enough power for the LCD-X, but both just don't sound "right" with that headphone. 

The Lyr to C-2 transition would be interesting.  To me, the Lyr was too thick and slow, so the C-2 was a crisp, clean, musical move, and I can shape the sound by injecting a vintage preamp in the mix.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #52 of 141

Yep, the C-2's XLR output is single ended.  I appreciate it being there, as I use my only XLR - TRS adapter with my other headphones.

It's been years since I've heard the HD-650, it'd be hard to say if the C-2 would have sufficient punch for it.  But to me, it's more a matter of amp/can synergy.  My Mac amps have more than enough power for the LCD-X, but both just don't sound "right" with that headphone. 

The Lyr to C-2 transition would be interesting.  To me, the Lyr was too thick and slow, so the C-2 was a crisp, clean, musical move, and I can shape the sound by injecting a vintage preamp in the mix.

That's exactly what I need to know. I realize that the HD-650 loves tubes, but they also work nicely just with my O2 as well, so I'm sure the C-2 would work very well. An amp with crispness, cleanness, and speed is exactly what I'm looking for. 

Thank you.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #53 of 141
So I'm really stuck now between this amp, The Lake People G109, and the Yulong A28. It's really a tossup for me at this point. I've always just really wanted to try the Audio-GD sound, and this seems like the best entry for me on a solid state setup, but I'm just unsure, given the positive reviews of the other DACs I've mentioned...

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #54 of 141

+1  

Been there done that - reaching the same conclusion
biggrin.gif

Quoting one of my posts in the speaker amp thread from August 2013:

In the end, I got rid of both the Emotiva Mini-X and the Decware ZStage, as my LCD-2 rev.1 was a lot happier with the CEntrance DACmini CX, which even outperforms the Burson Soloist with the LCD-2, in my opinion - another amp I ended up selling after several months.

---

+ 1

Been there, done that, too, again reaching the same conclusion as you!  
biggrin.gif

Back in 2011, I upset some Lyr fans by posting to the Schiit Lyr appreciation thread - reporting that my 15V-powered Stepdance portable amp sounded more detailed and transparent (with almost as good dynamics), as a Schiit Lyr that I had borrowed from another Head-Fi member for 30 days. Like you, I tried 3 additional sets of tubes, including some expensive Mullard NOS, but to no avail - the original Schiit Lyr sounded "woolly" with the LCD-2 rev.1, and we're not even talking about a particularly high-resolving headphone.  Jason Stoddard very graciously offered to inspect the Lyr, paying for postage both ways, and even gave me a "better" pair of tubes, but pronounced it to be in perfect working order. I stood my ground, calling it as I heard it, and the furor finally died down...

Conclusion:  I'm going to be paying attention to your recommendations, deadie.

beerchug.gif

You've really got me going on this talk of using vintage gear with the HD800...

Thanks,

Mike

I read your post on the Lyr impression's thread and I want to thank you for it. I have the Lyr myself, and though I have not come to exactly the same conclusion as you with other tubes, there's something about your post I can vaguely identify with, and perhaps that's why I want to go SS for my planars. I am curious, though, do you at all remember the tubes you listened to through the Lyr? If they were the original JJ and not the GE tubes Schiit later released, I am really not surprised about your conclusions. Apparently the JJ's were pretty awful, but when I bought my Lyr new from Schiit, Jason had wisely abandoned them. Since then, I have had some enjoyable experiences with Amperex Orange Globes and Bugle Boys, as well as Vokshod Rockets. With that said, I do think I just want the SS sound. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #55 of 141
  So I'm really stuck now between this amp, The Lake People G109, and the Yulong A28. It's really a tossup for me at this point. I've always just really wanted to try the Audio-GD sound, and this seems like the best entry for me on a solid state setup, but I'm just unsure, given the positive reviews of the other DACs I've mentioned...

The Yulong 28 is a fantastic amp from what I have read, but does benefit from having a balanced dac, are you going to be using a balanced dac? because if so the Yulong 28 mabe a viable option especially for 420$ in the forums.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #56 of 141
I realize I wrote dacs when I meant to write amps above. Was tired last night.

Thanks. Actually, a Schiit Gungnir, which is a balanced DAC, should be arriving today. I've also heard that the G109 is competitive with the A28 though, especially with my current headphones. I'm sure both are awesome but was just wondering whether anyone would think the C-2 would be a worthy competitor with these two. All sound like they would be a nice entry into the solid state sound. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #57 of 141
Hi Liu,

Quote:
  I read your post on the Lyr impression's thread and I want to thank you for it. I have the Lyr myself, and though I have not come to exactly the same conclusion as you with other tubes, there's something about your post I can vaguely identify with, and perhaps that's why I want to go SS for my planars. I am curious, though, do you at all remember the tubes you listened to through the Lyr? If they were the original JJ and not the GE tubes Schiit later released, I am really not surprised about your conclusions. Apparently the JJ's were pretty awful, but when I bought my Lyr new from Schiit, Jason had wisely abandoned them. Since then, I have had some enjoyable experiences with Amperex Orange Globes and Bugle Boys, as well as Vokshod Rockets. With that said, I do think I just want the SS sound. 

See this later post I made to the Lyr thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions/1440#post_7537605

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #58 of 141

See this later post I made to the Lyr thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions/1440#post_7537605

Thanks for that. I agree with your assessments that a rolled Lyr will struggle to match the texture and detail of a Meier, but I have not tried those exact tubes yet. The Lyr's strengths lie elsewhere, as you pointed out, which I suppose is the appeal of a hybrid between SS and tube, excelling in neither but performing admirably in both.  

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #59 of 141
In my experience with Lyr 2, only Amperex OG gives a hint of 'tube sound'. It sounds like an SS amp to me.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #60 of 141
I realize I wrote dacs when I meant to write amps above. Was tired last night.

Thanks. Actually, a Schiit Gungnir, which is a balanced DAC, should be arriving today. I've also heard that the G109 is competitive with the A28 though, especially with my current headphones. I'm sure both are awesome but was just wondering whether anyone would think the C-2 would be a worthy competitor with these two. All sound like they would be a nice entry into the solid state sound. 

If you can still find an SA-31SE, this is an excellent match for the HE-500s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back