Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #301 of 347
Why is it tilted to the left? I thought the drivers were supposed to be matched by 0.5dB...

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #302 of 347

Quote:
Do you guys think that the Schiit Lyr & Bifrost will be able to power the LCD-3s to their potential? Or good enough?

Quote:
No.  Save your money for a better amplifier.

If it's as good as with the LCD-2/Lyr pairing...then absolutely yes...the LCD-3s should match very well with the 4 Watts from the Lyr.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #303 of 347
I will try that combo this week at some point.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #304 of 347

Quote:
Its a fine fine headphone alright..

Is that your custom built Liquid Fire and a loaner pair of the LCD-3's ?

If so what is your take on this pairing. My nos match Quad high end Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's is a very nice pairing with my HE6's, these tubes really help out the bass and overall impact. Whenever my LCD-3's show up it should be interesting to hear how well my Liquid Fire and tubes pair with the LCD-3's.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #307 of 347

Quote:
Its a fine fine headphone alright..

I envisioned this as the last frame of a B-grade horror. The protagonist slumps to the ground after being overwhelmed. He has time to capture the cause of his demise, and to crawl to his laptop to warn others. Instead, he types an enticing impression, knowing his Head-Fi brethren would gladly exchange their lives for that fleeting moment of audio perfection. He smiles, hits submit and ascends to Audio Nirvana...

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #311 of 347
Are the LCD-3 pads too soft? I.e. do they collapse significantly when put in place. The reason I ask is simply that the rev. 2 pads are softer than the rev. 1 pads (eventhoug they are equally wedged / designed). It the LCD-3 pads are even softer...

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #312 of 347
I heard the 3's at RMAF with Ray Samuels SR-71B and Cypher Labs through my I phone and sound was wonderful. I can't wait until this comes out and I am glad I did not buy the first 2's to come out. I heard the original LCD-2 at the show as well and thought they were to dark in the mids. I did not like the HE-6 too bright for my taste. T-1's were also too bright. Sennheiser too laid back for me.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #313 of 347
Any comments from longer-term auditioners with respect to the fit, weight, balance and overall comfort of the 3s? These were the deal-breakers for me as an LCD2 owner. Doesn't seem like much difference between the two models but would be delighted to hear that the 3s break the comfort barrier.

thanks,

o

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #314 of 347
I think the much softer earpads and the new headband make them fairly comfortable (and I was a vocal complainer about the lack of comfort early on).  That doesn't make them light - they certainly are not.  But I find them more than adequate comfort-wise.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #315 of 347
I think the much softer earpads and the new headband make them fairly comfortable (and I was a vocal complainer about the lack of comfort early on).  That doesn't make them light - they certainly are not.  But I find them more than adequate comfort-wise.

That sounds like a major improvement actually. It's too bad weight hasn't changed much. I wonder if Alex will be offering the new headbands and pads separately to fit with LCD2 owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back