Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #286 of 347

Quote:
Hillarious!
biggrin.gif

Skylab please take your time. A lot of people don't have to make a decision until 11-11-11. The people who will "buy no matter what" have already preordered (e.g. googleli AKA Mr. Creamy)

Is there really a pre-order or just a "notify when back in stock"?

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #287 of 347
There is actually a pre-order form you have to fill in on Audeze website.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #288 of 347
My "initial impression" of the LCD-3 was expletive-laden, since I JUST bought a new set of LCD-2s!  Had I known the 3s were coming, I would certainly have waited.

That said, I love the LCD-2 r.2 sound, and hearing from enough reputable sources that the LCD-3 has that sound with more refinement and top-end sold me.  It's hard to get angry with a company that cranks out $1K and $2K headphones that are still considered top values for their respective price points.

Can't wait to hear news on the preorder status...and if anyone's looking for a deal on very lightly used r.2s, PM away :wink:

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #289 of 347
I will keep Rev 1 while getting the LCD3. I am also getting the Thunderpants to experience closed LCD2 effect.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #290 of 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$1K and $2K headphones that are still considered top values for their respective price points.

Haha, not so sure about the $2K one, it hasn't been confirmed as a value buy yet. It will be though if it stands equal or superior in the company of the sony r10, stax 009 and sennheiser he-90

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #291 of 347

Quote:
I do not doubt Skylab, but just for the heck of it. you might wan to get image verification. And again, no offense to Skylab but I would like to know that it is the LCD-3 and not some closed phones like the R10's that he is riding with!

I have a request into both the NSA and DOD  signet systems to redirect surveillance satellites when skylab lets me know about my portion of the review is in process.  I plan on downloading both the video and audio portions so I can review his review.  Looking forward to it as I need confirmation for this seasons Christmas run, and would want to have them new cans for it if they would work correctly.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #292 of 347
Do you guys think that the Schiit Lyr & Bifrost will be able to power the LCD-3s to their potential? Or good enough?

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #294 of 347
No.  Save your money for a better amplifier.

Why? Even a portable rig was good enough for the LCD3, according to Jude. Sure it'll be kind of a waste, but it still does offer improvements, no?
Just because I don't have a huge house and a bank full of money doesn't mean I shouldn't drive an M3. :D

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #295 of 347
Making claims with regards to amplification at this stage is just foolish.
Elysian you should know better...

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #296 of 347
Time for a battle royale.  LCD-2 rev 2 with a Liquid Fire amp vs. LCD-3 with a Lyr.  Tubes are rolled.  Who will win?  
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #297 of 347
Unless Audeze has done something mind-blowing with the LCD-3 (which the wide range of reports from a convention environment makes me wait to reserve judgment), my experience is that high-end amps are needed to get the most out of the differences between high-end headphones.

I'm sure the LCD-3 will sound fine on amps that people are happy with their LCD-2s on, but my point is that the most advantageous place for price-performance is probably on the amp if you're being bottlenecked by both your amp and, presumably, source.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #298 of 347
My take has been to live with headphones for a while before trying to do any critical listening. I was messing about on my laptop last night playing flac files on foobar via the govibe porta tube to lcd3 and I have to tell you, the detail kept rearing it's silly face even when not looking for it. This is by no means a recommendation to buy the lcd3 with the sole idea of using it with a portable amp, but if you have a decent rig and want to be able to use the headphones with a "lesser" amp , it will not disappoint. Just saying ..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back