Audeze LCD-X
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #768 of 12,748
  Great sound stage and great imaging (along with instrumental separation) IMHO. 
smile.gif

That was my experience as well (with what little time I had with them).

I'm mainly talking about the space, i.e. left-right, up-down, front-back. It does sound like house Audeze in some ways but the 2.2 draws you into the music but is congested in comparison so I don't pay attention to imaging/space and other things. I do think the 2.2. has a very focused type of sound. Since the X is more spacious I feel the need to try to make some sense of the character of the space it creates. And I can't do it but I can still get lost in the music and forget about it. 

I think I understand what you mean.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #771 of 12,748
I am probably a minority of 1 on Head-Fi in that I prefer the LCD-2 over the LCD-3 (I have had multiple chances to compare them head to head at meets). Hoping that the LCD-XC has some of the LCD-2 characteristics, but in any event it will likely be an upgrade over my Thunderpants.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #772 of 12,748
Back when I tried the LCD-3s with the Pico Power (with an AK100 as the source), they sounded lacklustre. I can't say the same for the LCD-Xs out of it, which sound better.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #773 of 12,748
I am probably a minority of 1 on Head-Fi in that I prefer the LCD-2 over the LCD-3 (I have had multiple chances to compare them head to head at meets). Hoping that the LCD-XC has some of the LCD-2 characteristics, but in any event it will likely be an upgrade over my Thunderpants.

Keep in mind that the LCD-3s are much pickier than the 2s. But get the amping/source right and the LCD-3s pull out ahead by a good margin, at least IME. :)

Back when I tried the LCD-3s with the Pico Power (with an AK100 as the source), they sounded lacklustre. I can't say the same for the LCD-Xs out of it, which sound better.

Hi Amos, As mentioned above, the LCD-3s need a good desktop amp that's up to the task. But I was very much surprised just how good the LCD-Xs sounded out of my FiiO Kilamanjaro portable amp.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #774 of 12,748
  For those that have the X, how picky is it with amplification? What kind of amps does it sound best with and does it like a lot of power?

LCD-X is as easy to drive as PS1000.  Boths need volume at 10 o'clock of Eximus DP1 (DAc with internal amp), LCD3 needs 11-12 O'clock, HD800 12-13 o'clock, HE500 13-14 o'clock.

When use LCD-X with Fiio X3 (portable player) needs 34-36/60 of volume, low gain, sounds pretty good, no harsh or sibilance at all.

So LCD-X is a versatile products, easy to drive and sounds good with everything I thrown at it; mp3, flac, wav, etc.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #775 of 12,748
For portable use with LCD3s I prefer the iQube V2 over the RSA71b. CLAS-dB as dac.

The ECBA was also not best suited. Preferred the EAR HP4.
So yes, the LCD3s are picky

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #776 of 12,748

Can you explain why you prefer it? What amps did you hear the LCD-3 on? Just wondering. The LCD-X having LCD-2's impact and bass (improved!) is really nice to hear.

LCD-X is as easy to drive as PS1000.  Boths need volume at 10 o'clock of Eximus DP1 (DAc with internal amp), LCD3 needs 11-12 O'clock, HD800 12-13 o'clock, HE500 13-14 o'clock.

When use LCD-X with Fiio X3 (portable player) needs 34-36/60 of volume, low gain, sounds pretty good, no harsh or sibilance at all.

So LCD-X is a versatile products, easy to drive and sounds good with everything I thrown at it; mp3, flac, wav, etc.

This is even better to hear. Any idea if a V200 will be compatible? If anyone has an idea or can try them out I'd love to know. I love it with the LCD-2.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #777 of 12,748
  Can you explain why you prefer it? What amps did you hear the LCD-3 on? Just wondering. The LCD-X having LCD-2's impact and bass (improved!) is really nice to hear.

I'm another one who prefers the LCD-2 (rev 2) over the LCD-3. The latter is a better headphone in terms of technicalities, no doubt, but it just seemed to lack the character and focus of the LCD-2 for me.

Sadly, I never had the chance to run them side-by-side since I'd already sold the 2 when I had the 3 for audition, but whatever amp I tried the LCD-3 on (even the venerated Bakoon HPA-21), I kept longing for the bass punch of the LCD-2 (or at least till I put on the TH900, at which point I forget about both LCDs). If it weren't for Audeze's Five Point Clamping Skull Technique, I'd have definitely kept the LCD-2 in my small collection.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #778 of 12,748

this is pretty much what i felt. i myself like the LCD-X over the 3 in some ways, but i don't think its an LCD-3 killer by any means. though it is better than LCD-2 and i view it as a more direct upgrade from it than the LCD-3. the LCD-X sounds alot more like LCD-2 than it does the 3.

HE-500 sounds different still, with a different smoothness to it, and a different treble/vocal presentation as well as bass, hifiman still different sound.

i don't think its better than LCD-3 at treble or speed. i personally felt it was a little slower. and the ps1000 is faster but its transients are odd and it lacks coherency.
i do agree on the parts highlighted though. as for the bass, i liked LCD-X bass more cause its punchier and stronger and cleaner, but not necessarily better, just different.

Most headphone treble is equally fast.  (IMHO) The way to compare the speed among headphones is to listen to the drum of Metal Songs.  My reference track is "cigaro" (System of a down band).

If you don't have this track you can watch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IV6UDYAGYs  (listen to 2:30-2:40 of this youtube clip), remind you this song is for 18+ only.
wink.gif

The kick drum is very fast about 4 beats/second and also the snare drum, can't believe the human can do this fast, faster than most headphone's ability!

The headphones I compared last night:  Abyss AB1266, He6, He500, LCD-X, PS1000, HD800

He6 is the only headphone that can definitely keep up with the pace.

Abyss, PS1000 are the second, a tiny bit slower than He6.

LCD-X, He500 and HD800 are the third.

From my memory LCD3 failed this test.

Try it for fun! 

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back