Audeze LCD-X
Nov 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #751 of 12,748
  Great feedback, MH...was really hoping you'd chime in with some impressions today. 

The fact that both you and DG give them positive marks is a very good indication of what I'll think of them. Gracias!

No worries. Not sure how burn in will affect them (if at all), but that's why I really don't want to say that much more until I've got a lot of hours on them and I've really got to know them well. The LCD-3s have been with me for 2 years now, so I now what they're all about.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #753 of 12,748
  Anyone with the X

Is there a midrange suck out or not? MuppetFace mentioned this as a possibility?

Definitely not IMO. It isn't as full as the LCD-3s comparatively (think closer to the LCD-2s in that regard and no one ever thought the midrange was recessed on them), but clean and flat. The TH900s, while better than the D7000s, have a bit of this.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #755 of 12,748
Quick update: the instrumental separation is truly outstanding with the LCD-X. Very, very clean sounding headphones and still have that great Audeze sound. Win-win IMO.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #756 of 12,748
  Anyone with the X

Is there a midrange suck out or not? MuppetFace mentioned this as a possibility?

In comparison to the TH900, it is not sucked out. But it is missing the natural mids of the LCD2.2 (voices have more of a life to them). But the mids still seem accurate and not lacking.

I still can't grasp what is going on with the soundstage and imaging. There are definitely layers but I can sort of hear this swirling effect that's hard to explain. Maybe I need more time with them or they need more burn in. For example, to me the PS1000 create a very deep space going outward left to right and uses it's bass to anchor everything. With the X I'm having a hard time seeing the space it's trying to create. If I close my eyes I either forget thinking about this and it's no problem, or I start paying even more attention to it. I have a feeling this will change or I'll stop analyzing to the point of making up stupid crap like this. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #758 of 12,748

Good soundstage but poor imaging? Or does it sound like it's in an impossible room?

Great sound stage and great imaging (along with instrumental separation) IMHO. 
smile.gif

I thought the PS1000s were far from accurate in pretty much everything. I can see how some might love them, but "accurate" they ain't to my ears.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #759 of 12,748

Good soundstage but poor imaging? Or does it sound like it's in an impossible room?

Great sound stage and great imaging (along with instrumental separation) IMHO. 
smile.gif

I thought the PS1000s were far from accurate in pretty much everything. I can see how some might love them, but "accurate" they ain't to my ears.

Exception of Joseph Grado's, none of Grado headphones are made for accuracy anyway, even Alessandro flavored ones. PS1000 is maybe the best Grado, but it is hardly even great headphones when faced against actual competition.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #760 of 12,748

Exception of Joseph Grado's, none of Grado headphones are made for accuracy anyway, even Alessandro flavored ones. PS1000 is maybe the best Grado, but it is hardly even great headphones when faced against actual competition.

Agreed. To confirm, my comments were based on current production Grado headphones. The HP1000s are a different beast altogether. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #761 of 12,748

I'm mainly talking about the space, i.e. left-right, up-down, front-back. It does sound like house Audeze in some ways but the 2.2 draws you into the music but is congested in comparison so I don't pay attention to imaging/space and other things. I do think the 2.2. has a very focused type of sound. Since the X is more spacious I feel the need to try to make some sense of the character of the space it creates. And I can't do it but I can still get lost in the music and forget about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back