Audeze LCD-X
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #7,264 of 12,748
I've got you homeboy:

Looks damn good, my Grandfather was President of the American Cattleman's Association. He would definitely approve :wink:!

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #7,266 of 12,748
That headband should be available anytime now mate.

Still liking the 3's? I'm asking you this here - instead of in private - so people know I have loads of friends.
[/quote

I am loving the 3f, jamming some Drive-by Truckers ATM :wink:.

Yes you do have friends, and great taste in music.
LOL!!! potkettleblack

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #7,268 of 12,748
Hey guys I just bought the LCD-X myself.  Can anyone recommend a good DAC (preferably cheap, the cans just destroyed my pocket lol) for reference use when mixing tracks in a DAW?  I have the Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface, but I would like something that is catered more towards the Audeze LCD-X's.

Thanks!!!

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #7,269 of 12,748
  Hey guys I just bought the LCD-X myself.  Can anyone recommend a good DAC (preferably cheap, the cans just destroyed my pocket lol) for reference use when mixing tracks in a DAW?  I have the Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface, but I would like something that is catered more towards the Audeze LCD-X's.

Thanks!!!

Are you looking for a DAC + Amp combo ? I have had good experience with Audio GD products. They have a range to suit various budgets.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7,270 of 12,748
Are you looking for a DAC + Amp combo ? I have had good experience with Audio GD products. They have a range to suit various budgets.
an amp/dac combo would be very convenient! Ill check out Audio GD. Can you recommend any that sound neutral suitable for mixing music?

My main choice so far is the JDS labs element, do you know if it will pair fine?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #7,271 of 12,748
I think I have a defective pair of LCD-Xs

I got a chance to audition some LCD-Xs in august and was amazed by the sound, so I bought a pair from Adorama in September. When they arrived, I noticed that they did not sound as good as the pair I auditioned. The soundstage, instrument separation, clarity, etc, were all worse. They still sounded great, but not as amazing as the pair I auditioned.I thought maybe it was because my amplification wasn't enough and that they needed break in time so I kept them for 2 months until they were on sale on Adorama again and I bought another pair which arrived today and, it sounded as good or better than the pair I auditioned. After further switching back and forth, I noticed that my old pair had some noticeable isolation compared to my new pair, which had very little. That could explain the lessened clarity, soundstage, separation, etc. They were both adjusted and positioned the same on my head. The differences aren't even minor, they are very apparent. For comparison (of course it's subjective), my September pair sounded worse than my HD 800s while the new pair sounds better than the HD 800 in every way except the HD800 still had better soundstage. 
Why does the pair I bought in September sound like a closed-back headphone that even has isolation while the new pair I just bought sound very open? Would changing pads fix the issue? The sound balance is similar between the pairs but my new pair just has a much bigger soundstage which makes everything sound better. Is there anything I could do to correct this or is there anything that can be done to correct the sound of the LCD-Xs that I bought in September? Thanks

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #7,272 of 12,748
Hey guys, I was wondering if these would fit my musical tastes. 

I listen to some rock, Deftones, tool, perfect circle, math rock, acoustic, ed sheeran, Radiohead. 
Video game soundtracks and movie soundtracks. 
Jazz, very little classical, but alot of soundtracks.
Electronic, ambient, drum and bass, alot of hip hop, trip hop, downtempo. Mf Doom, Madlib, Portishead, Nosia, ETC. 
Alot of female vocals. Norah Jones, Diana Krall. 
Experimental type of stuff. 

Also how do they fair with movies and games? Not my main purpose, but I do some gaming and movie watching. 

sorry im on my phone, so spelling is off :/

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #7,273 of 12,748
Hey guys, I was wondering if these would fit my musical tastes. 

I listen to some rock, Deftones, tool, perfect circle, math rock, acoustic, ed sheeran, Radiohead. 

Video game soundtracks and movie soundtracks. 
Jazz, very little classical, but alot of soundtracks.
Electronic, ambient, drum and bass, alot of hip hop, trip hop, downtempo. Mf Doom, Madlib, Portishead, Nosia, ETC. 
Alot of female vocals. Norah Jones, Diana Krall. 
Experimental type of stuff. 

Also how do they fair with movies and games? Not my main purpose, but I do some gaming and movie watching. 

sorry im on my phone, so spelling is off :/

I would say yes. The X is the neutralest of the Audeze lineup. Bass has the Audeze magic, rich and powerful when called upon, mids are not recessed, great for acoustic and vocals, and the treble has the most sparkle and shimmer of the lineup. Soundstage, imaging and depth are very good, just shy of HD800. Best of all it's easy to drive. Sometimes I run it straight from my DAP if I don't have the time. The only thing you have to note is the X is pretty heavy, so it's not ideal for gaming. Otherwise, the X is my endgame and a good all-rounder.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #7,274 of 12,748
I agree with ezekiel77. I do not own LCDX but I had them borrowed almost one month. Easy drive, quality dac/pre is enough and if system will be better then it will sound more adult. Strenghts are mids, vocals and overall nature (no artifical sound as you can find in most dynamic headphone). You can not go wrong if you listen almost everything because it is very very versatile headphone with own Audeze character:)

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #7,275 of 12,748
I tested for an hour in a store and wasn't able to forget the sound. In that same sitting i tried the HD800 and LCD3 as well. For my preferences the X easily outshines both. HD800 needs a top-tier tube amp to shine, and LCD3 while rich and fluid, lacked treble sparkle. It was the X all the way. For months i combed the forums and garage sales hoping to find one used for a good price. Finally i relented and bought new instead. I hope the X lasts years and years because it's certainly built that way. Finding a replacement for these will be very painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back