Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,742 of 6,385

http://www.yellowtec.de/products-lp/puc2-lp/puc2-lite.html

This fellow has spent some time with it:
http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com/2013/04/yellowtec-puc2-lite-usb-to-aesspdif.html

I was going to post my impressions but at the moment I am lazy. Just got back from holiday and the first day of work was ******* awful... as always.
But in very brief: Resolution, focus, dynamics, transparency have all been dramatically improved on my PWD2. It took away that sh***y warmness on the stock USB, but without grain or any digital harshness. Nice product.

Definitely worth a look.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,744 of 6,385
  So you'll take this thing over the Hydra and other top USB / SPDIF converters that has an AES out?

Yes.

I owned the Hydra and posted my impressions of it. It has strengths but I wouldn't use it on the PWD2. I see the Hydra as situational on a very solid state sounding DAC. More so than the Conductor, considering the other options out there.

Why?  It's powered by the USB bus.

I am using a linear regulated 5V power supply and the IFI Gemini cable with separate power plug. Even without this the PUC2 is worth it. I am not very fond of battery powered devices, as they have inherent disadvantages over time, and I was never too impressed with the SQ either.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,745 of 6,385

Why?  It's powered by the USB bus.

Because I skimmed through the guy's review it seemed favorable, and I know Negura well enough to know his opinion is worth at least considering.  Does the fact that it's powered by USB bus make it a deal breaker?

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #1,746 of 6,385

Because I skimmed through the guy's review it seemed favorable, and I know Negura well enough to know his opinion is worth at least considering.  Does the fact that it's powered by USB bus make it a deal breaker?

You can add a iFi or something in between I guess.  But why the need to go with AES it's just a SPDIF interface just like the BNC or RCA?

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,747 of 6,385

You can add a iFi or something in between I guess.  But why the need to go with AES it's just a SPDIF interface just like the BNC or RCA?

Yeah that would also work but then you get the headache of 2 USB cables. Plus the IFI wall wart is crap and needs replacing anyhow. Been there done that too. The PUC2 is a product made for the pro market. That is why it is AES only and also apparently why it's so stupid cheap for how good it is. They haven't yet discovered how splashy audiophiles are. :) Shh....

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,749 of 6,385

You're right, but I never said anything about needing anything.  I've been pretty happy with USB, but this looked interesting.  That's all.  My apologies.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,750 of 6,385
Sep 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,752 of 6,385

So how did those tests go with LCD-3 and M8?

It's a very good sounding combo, very engaging, fluid, and possessing excellent bass control. Unfortunately, my Arete/Volcano was put into storage, so I don't have anything in the same price range to compare the M8 to at the moment. I remember the Arete being a bit more forward and slightly less bassy, but it's been awhile since I've had it on my desk.

If you're not worried about possible warranty issues and need the power swing, remote, or preamp functions I'd recommend the M8 as an end game SS amplifer. 

It's insane how much hardware you get for your ~$1650. Mine drives my HD 800, LCD-3, and HE-6 with ease and acts as a preamp for my T200b speakers. I think Kevin Gilmore mentioned earlier that he can't even buy the parts to build a M8 at the price that Kingwa sells it for, so you know you've got a value winner here. 

I'm sad that it doesn't seem to get the same praise that the Phoenix got when it was released, but I'm hoping this 35 pound beast eventually gets the credit it deserves. BournePerfect, you need to give this thing another chance and do a shootout against the GS-X. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,753 of 6,385

It's a very good sounding combo, very engaging, fluid, and possessing excellent bass control. Unfortunately, my Arete/Volcano was put into storage, so I don't have anything in the same price range to compare the M8 to at the moment. I remember the Arete being a bit more forward and slightly less bassy, but it's been awhile since I've had it on my desk.

If you're not worried about possible warranty issues and need the power swing, remote, or preamp functions I'd recommend the M8 as an end game SS amplifer. 

It's insane how much hardware you get for your ~$1650. Mine drives my HD 800, LCD-3, and HE-6 with ease and acts as a preamp for my T200b speakers. I think Kevin Gilmore mentioned earlier that he can't even buy the parts to build a M8 at the price that Kingwa sells it for, so you know you've got a value winner here. 

I'm sad that it doesn't seem to get the same praise that the Phoenix got when it was released, but I'm hoping this 35 pound beast eventually gets the credit it deserves. BournePerfect, you need to give this thing another chance and do a shootout against the GS-X. 

Quick question, did you get to try it with low impedance / highly efficient dynamic headphones like the TH-900s, D7000s, Grado's, etc...? 

For the price, looks like a great pick up in the $1500 ish range.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,754 of 6,385
I've got a few lower impedance headphones and iems and it works hiss free for all of them (ATH-AD1000PRM, Grado HF2, DT770 Pro Limited, Monster Gratitude). Granted, you might only have about 5 steps of the volume control to play with on the iems and 10 on the headphones, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with an impedance adapter. 

I listen to my balanced LCD-3 and HD 800 in the 8-10 range on low gain and HE-6 in 15-20 range on high gain. Keep in mind that each gain setting has 99 steps.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,755 of 6,385

BournePerfect does not have a GS-X with him to compare. I think should ask the GS-X owners to get the M8. If they find the M8 on par or even better than the GS-X, they can easily sell the GS-X away at retail price due to its demand and waiting time and save the difference in price (~$1400) between the two amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back