Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,756 of 6,385
  I've got a few lower impedance headphones and iems and it works hiss free for all of them (AD1000PRM, DT770 Pro Limited, Monster Gratitude). Granted, you might only have about 5 steps of the volume control to play with on the iems and 10 on the headphones, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with an impedance adapter. 

I listen to my balanced LCD-3 and HD 800 in the 8-10 range on low gain and HE-6 in 15-20 range on high gain. Keep in mind that each gain setting has 99 steps.

Was the noise floor audible with those cans? If so, looks like a real winner at that price no doubt!

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,757 of 6,385

Was the noise floor audible with those cans? If so, looks like a real winner at that price no doubt!

Dead silent on all of those cans. When are you ordering yours?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,759 of 6,385

It's a very good sounding combo, very engaging, fluid, and possessing excellent bass control. Unfortunately, my Arete/Volcano was put into storage, so I don't have anything in the same price range to compare the M8 to at the moment. I remember the Arete being a bit more forward and slightly less bassy, but it's been awhile since I've had it on my desk.

If you're not worried about possible warranty issues and need the power swing, remote, or preamp functions I'd recommend the M8 as an end game SS amplifer.

It's insane how much hardware you get for your ~$1650. Mine drives my HD 800, LCD-3, and HE-6 with ease and acts as a preamp for my T200b speakers. I think Kevin Gilmore mentioned earlier that he can't even buy the parts to build a M8 at the price that Kingwa sells it for, so you know you've got a value winner here.

I'm sad that it doesn't seem to get the same praise that the Phoenix got when it was released, but I'm hoping this 35 pound beast eventually gets the credit it deserves. BournePerfect, you need to give this thing another chance and do a shootout against the GS-X.

Ordered the GSX tonight. I'll definitely get another M8 around the same time, because damnit someone needs to do it!

BournePerfect does not have a GS-X with him to compare. I think should ask the GS-X owners to get the M8. If they find the M8 on par or even better than the GS-X, they can easily sell the GS-X away at retail price due to its demand and waiting time and save the difference in price (~$1400) between the two amps.

As luck would have it-I just put my deposit down for the GSX-fingers crossed that a couple people cancel so I can get in on this batch. Isn't it very close to completion anyway?

-Daniel

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,760 of 6,385

Dead silent on all of those cans. When are you ordering yours?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Very impressive. Thanks!

If I were in the market for a new amp in the $1500 price range, this would be certainly in the mix. But my GS-X MK2 has pretty much quelled any thoughts of a new amp. 
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,764 of 6,385
  Better late than never!  

I bought a pair of LCD3 over the weekend and they should arrive later this week. I have cables ready and am very interested how much better(?) the LCD3 is over it's brother, the LCD2

It will be sourced and amp'ed by the Metrum Hex and the Cavalli LAu.

Very excited to hear the set up......................

On that rig, I think you'll easily hear the LCD3's advantages over the 2.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,765 of 6,385

Ordered the GSX tonight. I'll definitely get another M8 around the same time, because damnit someone needs to do it!

As luck would have it-I just put my deposit down for the GSX-fingers crossed that a couple people cancel so I can get in on this batch. Isn't it very close to completion anyway?

-Daniel

You are the man! 
popcorn.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,766 of 6,385

-Daniel

Can't wait for your impressions on this. 

Congrats on the GSX.
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,767 of 6,385
Just received my LCD-3 and must say it looks verry good,verry soft pads and headband in comparision to my LCD-2 Rev.2.
I will 'test drive' this puppy later with my Burson HA-160D in the meantime till i receive my Liquid Fire from MorbidToaster.

Hey Freazy, I realise your post is a little old but I would love to hear your thoughts on the LCD-3's with the Burson HA-160D vs. Liquid Fire? Thanks

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,768 of 6,385
Hey Freazy, I realise your post is a little old but I would love to hear your thoughts on the LCD-3's with the Burson HA-160D vs. Liquid Fire? Thanks

Neither IMO. One is affordable and sounds horrible with the LCD-3s (and very underpowered) and the other is way over priced for the performance you get.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,770 of 6,385

Neither IMO. One is affordable and sounds horrible with the LCD-3s (and very underpowered) and the other is way over priced for the performance you get.

LOL +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back