Audez'e LCD 2 vs Denon D7000 ?
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #121 of 452
I was surprised that I heard very little difference between all the amps I tried which for me begged the question, what's all this talk about needing more power for the LCD-2?

My journey (I've also tried the HE-5LE) has led me to believe that I'm not a planar headphone fan.  I guess I'm stuck loving the pushed up highs and colored sound of most dynamics.  I sure did love that low bass of the LCD-2, tho'.  I'd love that in a dynamic.  Anything that comes close?  I'm thinking D7000.  

Thanks for your reply.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #122 of 452
Well, the Yarland is certainly a good enough amp that I would think it would sound very good with the LCD-2.  I didn't have the Yarland and LCD-2 at the same time, and I have not heard the Vincent, but the LCD-2 might well be fine with either of those. 

And yes, if you like more hyped highs with the bass weight of the LCD-2, the Denon D7000 might be a good choice.  I think the D7000 is a very fine headphone.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #123 of 452
Yeah, the Yarland was the best of the bunch and having about $300 worth of special tubes didn't hurt either. 
eek.gif

Thanks for your help.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #124 of 452
Hi folks.  Skimmed through this thread, very interesting.  Right now I am absolutely thrilled beyond compare with what I'm hearing from my LCD-2's through my Eddie Current Balancing Act.  I started off with HD800's when I got the Balancing Act, I thought they sounded very good but not mind-blowing.  Other BA owners suggested to me that the BA and the HD800's are not the greatest match for each other, and was advised to try the LCD-2's instead.  That was some good advice.  The LCD-2's absolutely lay waste to the HD800's with my amp, ymmv.  The combination is every bit as blissful as the 6Moons award writeup suggests.

However, as has been mentioned, the LCD-2's isolation is practically non-existent.  I kid you not, I can hear them in another room with the door closed!  That's not really a problem for me right now, because I have a dedicated listening room.  But there is going to come a time in the next few years when the wife and I will be selling the house and downsizing significantly.  At that point, I can see the isolation issue being more problematic.

That doesn't mean I won't keep the LCD-2's.  These aren't going anywhere.  But I am interested in another pair of cans that will offer much better isolation, so that if I want to listen with the family around, I'm not bothering anyone.  The D7000's are a definite contender, but I read in a post in this thread that even though they are closed cans, the isolation is not great.

Any recommendations for a second set of cans that will offer some serious isolation, but still sound great?  I'd love a pair that can be easily recabled, as I'll want to run them balanced.  Ideas?

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #125 of 452

Quote:
Any recommendations for a second set of cans that will offer some serious isolation, but still sound great?  I'd love a pair that can be easily recabled, as I'll want to run them balanced.  Ideas?

The ED8s isolate very well and have great sound.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #126 of 452
@ nspindel.
Are you concerned more about sound leaking out or in?

If it's out... then I've not heard much about sound leaking out of the D7k's... But they don't isolate very effectively for outside noise leaking in. But then, I listen at moderate to relatively low volumes.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #127 of 452

Quote:
The ED8s isolate very well and have great sound.

Hmmmm....  $1500.....  That's $600 more than I paid for the LCD-2's.  Let me qualify what I'm looking for.  These would be a secondary pair of cans that I'd use only when the LCD-2's would be annoying to others.  If I'm all by myself, I'd be using the LCD-2's.  I'm sure the ED8's are great, but for secondary pair of headphones, it doesn't make sense to pay more than what I paid for my primary headphones.  Ideally I'd like to find something that costs substantially less than the LCD-2's.  Just doesn't make sense to budget that much for headphones that I'm only looking to use as a secondary pair.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #128 of 452

Quote:
@ nspindel.
Are you concerned more about sound leaking out or in?

If it's out... then I've not heard much about sound leaking out of the D7k's... But they don't isolate very effectively for outside noise leaking in. But then, I listen at moderate to relatively low volumes.

I'm concerned about noise leaking out.  I don't want to be annoying the people around me when I no longer have a dedicated room.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #129 of 452

Quote:
I'm concerned about noise leaking out.  I don't want to be annoying the people around me when I no longer have a dedicated room.

Well then, between what you said re. the cost of the ED8, and the direction of the offending sound... it would seem that the D7k might work for you (assuming you'd like the sound signature).
Got something good in solid state to feed them with?

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #130 of 452

Quote:
Hmmmm....  $1500.....  That's $600 more than I paid for the LCD-2's.  Let me qualify what I'm looking for.  These would be a secondary pair of cans that I'd use only when the LCD-2's would be annoying to others.  If I'm all by myself, I'd be using the LCD-2's.  I'm sure the ED8's are great, but for secondary pair of headphones, it doesn't make sense to pay more than what I paid for my primary headphones.  Ideally I'd like to find something that costs substantially less than the LCD-2's.  Just doesn't make sense to budget that much for headphones that I'm only looking to use as a secondary pair.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I know this has probably been stated over 8k times on here, but the m50s are a very good choice.  *puts on flame suit* They're really not that much worse from a Zune than a D7k is.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #131 of 452
It depends on how isolating they have to be: if you'd want to use it in bed with your wife next to you, D7000's could still be annoying her. But if she's in the same room, at a distance of a couple of meters, it should be fine. It works here, for us.

But D7000's are only substantially less then LCD-2 when you buy them 2nd handed. They're on FS section pretty often.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #132 of 452
I'm certain that M50 sounds a lot better than LCD-2 from a Zune. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I know this has probably been stated over 8k times on here, but the m50s are a very good choice.  *puts on flame suit* They're really not that much worse from a Zune than a D7k is.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #134 of 452

Quote:
It depends on how isolating they have to be: if you'd want to use it in bed with your wife next to you, D7000's could still be annoying her. But if she's in the same room, at a distance of a couple of meters, it should be fine. It works here, for us.

But D7000's are only substantially less then LCD-2 when you buy them 2nd handed. They're on FS section pretty often.

Nah, I'm not talking about in bed, more like the living room.  But then again, now that I'm thinking about it, if we're living in an apartment and my wife is watching tv, maybe I will care about isolation in terms of sound coming in...

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #135 of 452

Quote:
Nah, I'm not talking about in bed, more like the living room.  But then again, now that I'm thinking about it, if we're living in an apartment and my wife is watching tv, maybe I will care about isolation in terms of sound coming in...

Well then... M50's all the way! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back