Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #8,791 of 18,459
Hmm, interesting concept. I would like to see where this goes.
popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #8,793 of 18,459

Quote:
So here's a question.  Even though they sound much better with a good amp and dac, do they sound worse than "mid-fi" headphones when they are run out of an ipod? 

Just to play devil's advocate here, what would sound better? 
evil_smiley.gif

a)  ipod-> LCD-2

b)  mid-fi source (300-500), mid-fi amp (300-500), mid-fi headphones (300-500- K701, HD6x0, DT880, etc)

My suspicion is that while the headphones in rig B would be putting out closer to their full potential than the LCD2 in rig A, the LCD-2 might still sound better if you like their sound signature because they have much more potential to begin with.  Maybe you don't have to get more than 80% out of them to beat the "mid-fi" dynamics by quite a bit.  I mean an LCD-2 amped by the ipod doesn't suddenly sound like an HD650 right?  It is still faster, more detailed, lower distortion, more capable, etc right?  It still doesn't sound like a dynamic headphone.

Not that this is what people should shoot for, because the LCD-2 is capable of more, but is it still better than the alternatives?  Esp considering the possibility of future upgrades?

Yes, it still sounds like a dynamic headphone because it IS a dynamic headphone.

If your intent is to eventually upgrade the rest of your chain, then yes, starting with the LCD-2 is a viable approach that may work for you.  You're not going to use them as portables, right?

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #8,794 of 18,459
OK but you get my point.  It is not a "conventional dynamic", it is a planar magnetic with much greater ability than the mid-fi conventional dynamics.

Maybe you would go with rig B then?  No, I'm not going to use them as portables except for maybe around the house, I just think this is an interesting question that isn't discussed much on head-fi.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8,795 of 18,459

Quote:
I remember someone said he liked the LCD2 better than the Edition 8 out of the ipod. Not bad I guess :)
I think that was that post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509397/ed-8-vs-he-5-le-lcd-2#post_6884809

That sounds like me. But I preferr Koss Porta Pro out of my Ipod so it doesn´t say much more then synergy means a lot. I would pick the LCD-2 over the porta Pro no doubt though :wink:

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #8,796 of 18,459

Quote:
OK but you get my point.  It is not a "conventional dynamic", it is a planar magnetic with much greater ability than the mid-fi conventional dynamics.

Maybe you would go with rig B then?  No, I'm not going to use them as portables except for maybe around the house, I just think this is an interesting question that isn't discussed much on head-fi.

Yes, I could be tempted in the direction of plan B.  The headphones would scale as far as you would ever want to take them.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8,797 of 18,459
I think I might go plan A on this one. After spending a small fortune on Mid-fi gear I would rather start somewhere more Hi-fi to begin with. I was never quite happy with the sound I was getting. "not that my gear is all Hi-fi anyway but it is good for the LCD-2s". You have start somewhere. IMO

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #8,798 of 18,459

Quote:
I think buy lcd2, its good sound on ipod?
its comfortable/?

If iPod use is a priority and you are ready to drop that kind of coin on cans to accomplish it, you might want to check out the Beyer T5's which are made specifically with that in mind, and, if they sound anything like the T1's they are based upon (which reportedly they do sound similar, though not identical), they probably do a damn fine job via a home box packing more punch, once you are ready to go that route.  Just a thought.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #8,801 of 18,459

Quote:
So here's a question.  Even though they sound much better with a good amp and dac, do they sound worse than "mid-fi" headphones when they are run out of an ipod? 

Just to play devil's advocate here, what would sound better? 
evil_smiley.gif

a)  ipod-> LCD-2

b)  mid-fi source (300-500), mid-fi amp (300-500), mid-fi headphones (300-500- K701, HD6x0, DT880, etc)

My suspicion is that while the headphones in rig B would be putting out closer to their full potential than the LCD2 in rig A, the LCD-2 might still sound better if you like their sound signature because they have much more potential to begin with.  Maybe you don't have to get more than 80% out of them to beat the "mid-fi" dynamics by quite a bit.  I mean an LCD-2 amped by the ipod doesn't suddenly sound like an HD650 right?  It is still faster, more detailed, lower distortion, more capable, etc right?  It still doesn't sound like a dynamic headphone.

Not that this is what people should shoot for, because the LCD-2 is capable of more, but is it still better than the alternatives?  Esp considering the possibility of future upgrades?

Tough call, flip a coin if you ask me.  I might add that I might sway slightly towards b.  In my opinion, I feel that the LCD2s are resolving enough to hi-lite limitations in cheaper designed electronics that seem to pose more problems with me than a less resolving headphone.  But A is probably the better long term solution if one is open to upgrades, is starting new in hi-fi or might be less sensitive to the differences in electronics.  I think there is no right answer and individuals might differ in their preferences.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8,802 of 18,459
it may be considered "mid-fi" now by the upwardly mobile headphone middle class, but I don't view the HD600 or HD650 as a "compromise" headphone. Besides, an LCD-2 may give you "80%" when driven directly out of an ipod, but I'm pretty sure a "mid-fi" can can get you more than "80%" of the way to an LCD-2 even when driven by a modest amp.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #8,803 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I think buy lcd2, its good sound on ipod?
its comfortable/?

If iPod use is a priority and you are ready to drop that kind of coin on cans to accomplish it, you might want to check out the Beyer T5's which are made specifically with that in mind, and, if they sound anything like the T1's they are based upon (which reportedly they do sound similar, though not identical), they probably do a damn fine job via a home box packing more punch, once you are ready to go that route.  Just a thought.

Just wanted to clarify that jax probably meant the T5P, so we don't get it confused with the T50.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #8,804 of 18,459
I would choose plan A all day because if you really are going to start even mid-fi, chances are your going to be upgrading everything over time. Id rather start high end and skip all the middle steps. As long as a mid grade dac and amp were not too far out, id pick plan A. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #8,805 of 18,459
While it's probably true that example "b" would sound better then "a", if not just because "b" is getting used to it's full potential, I would think that high-end 'phones would shine even with a modest source. I dunno, I guess for me it boils down one of two ways;

A) You spend less in the long run (let's just say $1,000) for a full mid-fi setup. It should sound pretty dang good and you'll get the most out of it right from the get go, but any future upgrades won't be so much of an improvement as an alteration to the sound.

B) You spend the same amount on a high end set of 'phones, whether they be the LCD-2's or HD-800's. They should still sound good, probably not as good as "A" at this point, but as long as they're able to be run through the current source it should be enough to be happy with. But the kicker is that once you manage to drop some cash on a modest amp they should jump ahead of the first choice.

Following those two idea's, I would (and have) gone with "B" over "A". Depending on how long the current wait time is, I should hopefully receive my Audio-GD NFB-12 and the LCD-2's at roughly the same time, and while they won't be running at their full capacity, they should still make my ears sing with joy. And once I have enough to buy a higher end dedicated amp they'll only get better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back